News NRL contract news: Bulldogs star Jake Averillo reveals how Wayne Bennett lured him to Dolphins

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who fucking cares. He finally hits form and decided to fuck off. Not begrudging him whatever he wants to do. He didn't run off mid contract like those players I hate. But it kind of pisses me off when they go right after their breakout season. At the same time we also picked u competition for a few positions he plays, so I'd guess that touch of uncertainty might have been something he thought about. End of the day though he's opted to leave and by finals time I don't really give two shots about his career while he's not in our jersey.

Good luck Jake. Don't let the door hit your ass.

Malla

Reaction score
It would be great for these players to at least once be honest about it.

Dolphins offered him a lot more than anyone else did (Sounds like Bulldogs were the only other team) and he took the money.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can you blame him?

More money,
QLD beaches compared to Belmore
GOAT coach over an assistant.

He would be stupid not to go.

But saying that, no point keeping him plus let's be honest, a few good games here and there this year doesn't make up for all the average games he had had for us.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you blame him?

More money,

But saying that, no point keeping him plus let's be honest, a few good games here and there this year doesn't make up for all the average games he had had for us.
He only gets saggy balls coach him for one year. But I agree with the other stuff.

Ciraldo keeps banging on about players at the club having a losing culture. Jake made his debut in 2020 and won something like 6 out of his first 40 odd games.

That doesnt help to create a winning culture

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He only gets saggy balls coach him for one year. But I agree with the other stuff.

Ciraldo keeps banging on about players at the club having a losing culture. Jake made his debut in 2020 and won something like 6 out of his first 40 odd games.

That doesnt help to create a winning culture
He will got more out of Skelator in one year than he will get from the assistant in 10 years.

PS plot twist....Bennett coaches us in 2025 lol

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does he mean coaching or in life. :tearsofjoy:
Who knows really,doggies were better playing whts in front of them .
Even our attack looks likes a team that has never played together half the time balls going to the ground etc

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullshit, Jake.

You took the cash.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s come good 3 years too late. What we got coming is going to be great

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you blame him?

More money,

That Assistant Coach beat the GOAT coach on Sunday lol! Bennett = Fraud! [emoji14]

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Obviously dolphins offered a lucrative deal so that’s what the “switch it up” part was about. Good luck to him.
Wayne does need his diaper changed, maybe that 'sort of change it up a bit' is what he was referring to?

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Moses Mbye 2.0

he verbally agreed to a 2 year deal 400k with us

phins then said we'll give you 3 and more $$

Good riddance. Critta is a fucking tank and we have him signed and you're worrying about Averillo.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ciraldo keeps banging on about players at the club having a losing culture.
...and then opts for Perham as his #1 Choice Fullback. (What was he hoping to "win" with this move? That's "Mediocrity" right there.)

He "talks a good game" apparently. You can see why Ciraldo might rate that quality highly (watch any interview/presser); a shame it seems footy ability doesn't take precedence.

A "good" coach should be able to get a capable player to "talk" - only a miracle worker can get a slug-placed have-a-chat to run fast.

If it's for defence organisation, then "how's that working out?"

Why would Gould "let" Ciraldo pick "he's not a fullback" at fullback when you have a potential solution on your roster; one you're already paying halves money to and need to see if you are keeping.

Averillo's last contract was to play half-5/8th, so "Centre-money" - which would have to be a downgrade - was always going to struggle against any decent offer from anywhere else, but especially if a Bennett comes knocking and says "I see your potential".

Add that to the uncertainty of "what's my position?", "why is Perham in front of me at fullback?", and "am I even getting a contract at all?", and the money differential just tips the scales. They made it too easy to leave; almost gave him no other choice.

He'll probably go to the next level under Bennett. Maybe we can "Reed Mahoney" him back to the club in a few years time at twice the price.
In the meantime, we should probably grab a suitably large mirror for our talent identification and retention boffins to see if it is really just the players/roster that is the main problem, or if it might have something to do with those assembling it, and coaching it to its full potential (even if in recent years that potential might have been limited).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So he plays under Bennett for one year then Kristen Woolf takes over.