News NRL contract news: Bulldogs star Jake Averillo reveals how Wayne Bennett lured him to Dolphins

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jake Averillo had every intention of remaining a 'Bulldog for life' - but that all went out the window after just one meeting with Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett.

The 22-year-old local junior has long been touted as the future of Canterbury, making his debut as a teenager and becoming one of the club's best players in recent seasons.

Averillo opened up on the decision to leave Belmore after first joining their ranks a decade ago.

“I thought it was just a good opportunity for me to get a fresh start and sort of change it up a bit," he said.

"I've been there for four years now and I feel like I need a change of scenery, just to help me get to that next level. I always thought I’d play for the Bulldogs forever to be honest.

"Growing up in the area, I played for the Bulldogs since I was like 13… it was definitely a tough decision. I didn’t think I’d get too many opportunities to go away and try something different.

"I had a few offers from a few different clubs – there was actually one club that wanted me to go this year at the start of the year. I wanted to stay at the Bulldogs, I thought we were building something really nice and I was really finding myself in the pre-season."

Averillo was linked with multiple different clubs, both in Sydney and Queensland, with his ability to cover any position in the backline and his incredible speed seen as a major asset in the top grade.

With 73 appearances to his name for the Dogs, the off-contract Averillo was entering an important phase in his career - and that's exactly when Bennett came calling.

Bulldogs star Jake Averillo explains Dolphins move

After one meeting with the legendary coach, Averillo admitted his mind was made up and a move to Redcliffe on a three-year deal was the perfect fit to continue his ascent in rugby league.

"Wayne Bennett said he wanted me, so that was probably a big factor – especially when he hasn’t got too many years left, it would be pretty silly not to take up that offer," Averillo said.

"It happened real quick, the Dolphins showed a bit of interest and they didn’t really think much of it because I was from Sydney and they wasn’t really sure if I’d make the move.

"I told my manager that I would obviously be interested, I’d be pretty silly not to take up the meeting with Wayne Bennett. We had the meeting and to be honest, straight after the meeting I knew that was the go.

"I knew straight away, it was a weird sort of feeling. He’s got his way with words old Wayne, he’s just got that aura about him and he doesn’t really have to say too much and his resume speaks for itself.

"Straight after that meeting, I knew I was a big chance of going there and it all happened within a week or two."

Averillo's decision to depart his local club, leaving behind friends and family, wasn't something the Canterbury star took lightly - especially considering the investment they put into him over the past 10 years.

But the most difficult conversation came when Averillo picked up the phone and told head coach Cameron Ciraldo of his call to head north next season.

“F**k that was so hard… especially telling Ciro, I had to call Ciro up a couple of hours after," he said.

"I just respect him so much, he is such a good coach and he’s made me such a better player, just from this year. I’ve learned so much from him – probably the most I’ve learned since playing NRL.

“The system he’s brought over, he makes everything clear and he gives us players a lot of confidence. He’s a real good defensive coach and you know the systems work, because they come from Penrith.

"Off the field, he’s got that real good balance and he really cares about your family, he takes time to see how you’re going… he gets along with the boys really well.

"The hardest thing was calling him."

What position will Jake Averillo play for Dolphins?

Versatility can often times be both a blessing and a curse in the NRL, and there aren't too many players who have

This season alone, Averillo has already played centre, fullback and halfback, while also spending time on the wing and at five-eighth since breaking into the side in 2020.

Quizzed on his potential role in a strong Dolphins backline, Averillo said he was ready for any challenge that Bennett and the coaching staff throw his way.

"I think I’m meant to go play centre up there, but obviously I’m open to anything," he said.

"I love fullback and obviously I’ve played there the past couple of weeks, that’s probably my favourite position."

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is the likely long-term No.1 at the Dolphins, with Averillo expected to partner fellow recruit Herbie Farnworth in the centres for the club.

Jake Averillo Dolphins contract

Averillo will move to the Dolphins next year on a three-year deal, keeping him at Redcliffe until the end of 2026.

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a shame he’s not going to be around.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’ve had a shit day at work and you make it worse when I come home to finally relax. Shame on you @djdeep4172

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Obviously dolphins offered a lucrative deal so that’s what the “switch it up” part was about. Good luck to him.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jake Averillo had every intention of remaining a 'Bulldog for life' - but that all went out the window after just one meeting with Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett.

The 22-year-old local junior has long been touted as the future of Canterbury, making his debut as a teenager and becoming one of the club's best players in recent seasons.

Averillo opened up on the decision to leave Belmore after first joining their ranks a decade ago.

“I thought it was just a good opportunity for me to get a fresh start and sort of change it up a bit," he said.

"I've been there for four years now and I feel like I need a change of scenery, just to help me get to that next level. I always thought I’d play for the Bulldogs forever to be honest.

"Growing up in the area, I played for the Bulldogs since I was like 13… it was definitely a tough decision. I didn’t think I’d get too many opportunities to go away and try something different.

"I had a few offers from a few different clubs – there was actually one club that wanted me to go this year at the start of the year. I wanted to stay at the Bulldogs, I thought we were building something really nice and I was really finding myself in the pre-season."

Averillo was linked with multiple different clubs, both in Sydney and Queensland, with his ability to cover any position in the backline and his incredible speed seen as a major asset in the top grade.

With 73 appearances to his name for the Dogs, the off-contract Averillo was entering an important phase in his career - and that's exactly when Bennett came calling.

Bulldogs star Jake Averillo explains Dolphins move

After one meeting with the legendary coach, Averillo admitted his mind was made up and a move to Redcliffe on a three-year deal was the perfect fit to continue his ascent in rugby league.

"Wayne Bennett said he wanted me, so that was probably a big factor – especially when he hasn’t got too many years left, it would be pretty silly not to take up that offer," Averillo said.

"It happened real quick, the Dolphins showed a bit of interest and they didn’t really think much of it because I was from Sydney and they wasn’t really sure if I’d make the move.

"I told my manager that I would obviously be interested, I’d be pretty silly not to take up the meeting with Wayne Bennett. We had the meeting and to be honest, straight after the meeting I knew that was the go.

"I knew straight away, it was a weird sort of feeling. He’s got his way with words old Wayne, he’s just got that aura about him and he doesn’t really have to say too much and his resume speaks for itself.

"Straight after that meeting, I knew I was a big chance of going there and it all happened within a week or two."

Averillo's decision to depart his local club, leaving behind friends and family, wasn't something the Canterbury star took lightly - especially considering the investment they put into him over the past 10 years.

But the most difficult conversation came when Averillo picked up the phone and told head coach Cameron Ciraldo of his call to head north next season.

“F**k that was so hard… especially telling Ciro, I had to call Ciro up a couple of hours after," he said.

"I just respect him so much, he is such a good coach and he’s made me such a better player, just from this year. I’ve learned so much from him – probably the most I’ve learned since playing NRL.

“The system he’s brought over, he makes everything clear and he gives us players a lot of confidence. He’s a real good defensive coach and you know the systems work, because they come from Penrith.

"Off the field, he’s got that real good balance and he really cares about your family, he takes time to see how you’re going… he gets along with the boys really well.

"The hardest thing was calling him."

What position will Jake Averillo play for Dolphins?

Versatility can often times be both a blessing and a curse in the NRL, and there aren't too many players who have

This season alone, Averillo has already played centre, fullback and halfback, while also spending time on the wing and at five-eighth since breaking into the side in 2020.

Quizzed on his potential role in a strong Dolphins backline, Averillo said he was ready for any challenge that Bennett and the coaching staff throw his way.

"I think I’m meant to go play centre up there, but obviously I’m open to anything," he said.

"I love fullback and obviously I’ve played there the past couple of weeks, that’s probably my favourite position."

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is the likely long-term No.1 at the Dolphins, with Averillo expected to partner fellow recruit Herbie Farnworth in the centres for the club.

Jake Averillo Dolphins contract

Averillo will move to the Dolphins next year on a three-year deal, keeping him at Redcliffe until the end of 2026.
:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: LOL

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Averillo threads will we have by the end of the season [emoji849]

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um….

Bennett is finished next year. He can’t teach him too much in that time.

The whole thing has been weird though. It’s never been reported what we offered him. Or did we offer him.

And for him to say that he thinks he has been recruited as a centre ???

Surely you would know

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice he let slip that a team wanted him to come across this season? So it’s ok trying to get players to break contracts as long as it’s the Dogs on the receiving end?