News (nrl.com) Dogs set to seal Flanno deal as Foxx replacement catches Storm's eye (its Reimis)

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Departing Storm speedster Josh Addo-Carr wants to take on a leadership role mentoring young players as a player trade involving Canterbury's Reimis Smith gains traction with the 2020 premiers.

Addo-Carr's whirlwind season continues on Wednesday when he goes into NSW Origin camp, three days after crowning his last game for Melbourne with a second premiership in four seasons.

Discussions around where he lands in 2021 will ramp up as well now his club commitments are over, with the Bulldogs joining Wests Tigers in pursuit of the NRL's fastest man.

Canterbury's renewed interest in Addo-Carr comes as a three-year deal for Roosters half Kyle Flanagan edges closer to being announced.

The young half confirmed his exit from Bondi on Instagram on Monday night with a series of photos from his season captioned "shocked and disappointed", before going on to thank the club and its fans.

"Shocked and Disappointed. I want to thank everyone involved with my time at the @sydneyroosters. A rollercoaster year but full of memories I’ll remember forever. To the fans, I appreciate the ongoing support, it’s been unreal. To the lads, I loved every minute with you boys. #1191," he wrote in the post.

His departure comes after just 12 months as Cooper Cronk's No.7 successor.

The Bulldogs are yet to make an official announcement on Flanagan's playing future.

Meanwhile, NRL.com understands the Tigers original four-year offer for Addo-Carr remains the only contract tabled to his camp at this stage.

However, Canterbury's interest has firmed recently behind the scenes.

Smith has been touted as the potential replacement Melbourne have always said they required before Addo-Carr's return to Sydney on compassionate grounds could be completed.

It is understood Smith, who has scored 25 tries in 49 Bulldogs appearances, would be entertained by Melbourne as a suitable option after several others – including Alex Johnston and David Nofoaluma were pursued unsuccessfully earlier this year.

Smith is contracted to Canterbury for next season and it is unclear whether he would be willing to make a Melbourne move.

Coincidentally, the 23-year-old and Addo-Carr crossed paths from time to time growing up in Redfern's Indigenous community, but never played against each other as Mascot and La Perouse juniors respectively.

Rightfully so after enjoying a superb run of form into Sunday's win over Penrith, Addo-Carr is unfazed by the uncertainty around his future leading into a three-week Origin campaign.

Asked if he would look to fast-track negotiations now his club campaign is wrapped up, Addo-Carr said: "I'm not too fussed, to be honest.

"I've got good support behind me [so] all I've got to do is worry about my football and the rest will settle itself.

"There's a fair few clubs but there's no one 100% at the moment.

"I'll just leave it up to my manager, he's going to try and get the best deal for me. But I'm just going to enjoy the moment."

A move from the wing to fullback looms at the Tigers or Canterbury, and one the 25-year-old international has entertained in recent times.

But coming from arguably Australian sport's most successful club, and with two premiership rings from three grand final appearances, Addo-Carr is keen to take on more off-field duties as well, regardless of wherever he plays on it.

"Fullback's not new to me," he said.

"Wherever I go, if the coach wants me to play fullback, I'll play fullback. I'll play wherever I'm needed. It definitely won't be the same.

"No other team is like Melbourne. No other team is from Melbourne. I've definitely grown as a player and I'd like to think I'm an experienced player now.

"I've played in a few big games now. I'd like to help younger fellas come through the ranks at whatever club I go to.

"I like helping people too. So I'd like to share my experience with other rugby league players to see them grow and thrive."

Addo-Carr's influence in the Storm's Sunshine Coast bubble has been noted by club insiders of late.

After 73 tries from just 96 games for the Victorian powerhouse, Addo-Carr paid tribute to the impact Craig Bellamy and the club have had on him as a player and a person.

"I'm going to miss the boys," he said.

"We've got a really close bond. We're all close. I'm going to miss Craig, everyone here at the Storm.

"Learning from Smithy [Cameron Smith], Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Will Chambers, leaning from all those fellas and growing as a player.

"Only good people are at this club. You definitely grow as a person and as a player.

"It's an absolute pleasure playing alongside these boys and being a part of it, creating some history. And no one can take this away from us."

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting direct quotes from JAC:

"Wherever I go, if the coach wants me to play fullback, I'll play fullback. I'll play wherever I'm needed. It definitely won't be the same.

"No other team is like Melbourne. No other team is from Melbourne. I've definitely grown as a player and I'd like to think I'm an experienced player now.

"I've played in a few big games now. I'd like to help younger fellas come through the ranks at whatever club I go to.

"I like helping people too. So I'd like to share my experience with other rugby league players to see them grow and thrive."

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Are we more desirable then then the west tigers ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder what Reimis would be on and how much an upgrade for Addo-Carr would cost..

If JAC is asking for 650k, maybe Reimis is on about 300k? 350k more is probably worth it. Addo-Carr is more than twice the player and is a true gamebreaker. It certainly softens the blow of paying that much for the Fox outright.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we more desirable then then the west tigers ?
Maybe, doing a bit of reading between the lines, there is a 4 year deal on the table from them, it hasn't been signed. Also note what the reporter found relevant:

Addo-Carr's influence in the Storm's Sunshine Coast bubble has been noted by club insiders of late.

Is he going to have more influence at Tigpies under Mulehead Madge, or at the Dogs under Bestmate Barrett? Which squad has the younger set of players?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Grant may or may not leave the strom. JAC is 100% leaving the strom. A bird in the hand...
He's a winger and a winger will have minimal impact on the side. I'd rather just hold the cash instead of matching the tigers because we're desperate for star power. Teams don't win comps because they blow their cap on wingers

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why would they want Smith? They already have another Fijian winger coming through Lumelume