News (nrl.com) Dogs set to seal Flanno deal as Foxx replacement catches Storm's eye (its Reimis)

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not if they can't afford to, especially if other clubs start circling the off contract Grand Final players :grinning:
Thats the whole point. They can afford to keep him. He is on buggar all because he signed a 2 year contract before he even played an NRL game. I doubt he would be on anymore than $120k so there is zero benefit for the panthers to let him go.

Picture this. They let him go and either Luai or Clearly goes down with an ACL in Round 1. They would have had a ready made replacement on their books for a dirt cheap price. No way they are getting a suitable replacement for the money Burton is on.

I am not saying he wont be at the dogs next year because the player market is changing daily. What I am saying is that it would be extremely bad business for Penrith to let him go.

Lets just say Jake Averillo cant make our top 17 next year for some reason and another club offers him more money and a starting position but he is under contract with us. His salary isnt that high so releasing him does nothing to free up cap space. He provides great depth in a number of positions so why the hell would we let him go just because his manager wants us to ??

I know blokes change clubs all the time when they are under contract but its always blokes who either :

a) Are on good money and the club creates cap space by letting them go ; or
b) The coach doesnt rate them at all and is happy to see them go

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats the whole point. They can afford to keep him. He is on buggar all because he signed a 2 year contract before he even played an NRL game. I doubt he would be on anymore than $120k so there is zero benefit for the panthers to let him go.

Picture this. They let him go and either Luai or Clearly goes down with an ACL in Round 1. They would have had a ready made replacement on their books for a dirt cheap price. No way they are getting a suitable replacement for the money Burton is on.

I am not saying he wont be at the dogs next year because the player market is changing daily. What I am saying is that it would be extremely bad business for Penrith to let him go.

Lets just say Jake Averillo cant make our top 17 next year for some reason and another club offers him more money and a starting position but he is under contract with us. His salary isnt that high so releasing him does nothing to free up cap space. He provides great depth in a number of positions so why the hell would we let him go just because his manager wants us to ??

I know blokes change clubs all the time when they are under contract but its always blokes who either :

a) Are on good money and the club creates cap space by letting them go ; or
b) The coach doesnt rate them at all and is happy to see them go
Not everything is so black and white its very common for clubs to let a young player go if they have an amazing opportunity they wont be able to match ,happens alot

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They’ve also got Tyrone May that’s I. Front of him. But can get your point, Panthers aren’t risking much by keeping him.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And it’s what is kinda fkd, they keep harping on about lack of talent in the NRL these days, fact is there is plenty around just that some clubs save em for a rainy day and won’t release them. Look at some of the talent the Roosters, Eels, Panthers and Broncos have in the wings that rarely get a run. Many could walk into a lot of other starting sides in the comp but can’t get a run.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not everything is so black and white its very common for clubs to let a young player go if they have an amazing opportunity they wont be able to match ,happens alot
You got any examples ? I certainly dont think it happens "alot" as you say.

Not to mention Penrith have constantly said he wont be going anywhere.

I hope he comes. I just dont think it will happen until 2022

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
If JAC comes someones gotta make a ‘LETS TROT’ sign

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You have all overlooked the problem we have at the present, and that is there is no quality ball getting to the current wingers. If they got quality ball things would be a whole lot different. Forget replacing our current wingers and work on the middle more. With the right guidance and Ball our current wingers are fine.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You have all overlooked the problem we have at the present, and that is there is no quality ball getting to the current wingers. If they got quality ball things would be a whole lot different. Forget replacing our current wingers and work on the middle more. With the right guidance and Ball our current wingers are fine.
No hookers available unless we get one on contract, e.g. Brandon Smith. This is also the same at prop, the last good prop off contract was Welch and he's been tied up now. We've been linked with Leniu (doesn't miss tackles and is a metre eater - what we've missing, freakish numbers, if I was comparing him to Haas metres gained/minute it isn't even close).

We're heavily interested in Burton and we've already signed Flanagan. Them two and Averillo (possibly fullback) have a lot of potential and Barrett's probably the best person to develop them. JAC's just the icing on the cake and one of the best players in his position. We still have a lot of cash to spend.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Spot on in my opinion.