News NRL clubs can now select players from outside the Top 30. Here’s who is on your team’s radar

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

Watson Heleta

Expect to see a lot more of Brad Deitz — who is still on a train and trial contract — and development player Jackson Topine now that Trent Barrett won’t need an exemption to play them. But as the new coach continues to tweak his side and push through injuries in key positions, some other faces could come into contention... like Aaron Schoup who makes his NRL debut this weekend. But the next cab off the rank in the backline would have to be Watson Heleta. His form in NSW Cup this season is simply too good to ignore. The 25-year-old is leading the competition in linebreaks (10) and is equal first in tacklebusts (38). Heleta won the Wests Tigers’ NSW Cup player of the year award in 2019 before being signed by the Eels on a development contract last year. The former junior Kiwi has now joined the Bulldogs’ feeder side, Mounties and had an absolute binder in the last game he played, scoring a try and setting up another as well as getting one linebreak, seven tacklebusts and running for 138 metres.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Watson Heleta is a gun centre then why the fuck is Hoppa still in the side? Why are we being loyal to plodders who won't be here next year?

I'd also add BBO to that list. I think he's injured at the moment but I'd love to see him get a shot this year

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good stats especially for a centre. Barrett should definitely think about dropping Hopa (who has to be on the way out) and pairing Heleta with Schoupp to get experience. This season is gone anyway.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, only thought development players could be brought in after round 11

now mr Barrett , the team is last , no signs of making the 8... start brining into grade all that show glimpses of being decent to see if worth giving a contract and stop using the plodders

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: typical nrl , making it up as they go! I am glad I don’t pump any personal money into that sport

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Watson Heleta is a gun centre then why the fuck is Hoppa still in the side? Why are we being loyal to plodders who won't be here next year?

I'd also add BBO to that list. I think he's injured at the moment but I'd love to see him get a shot this year
I have been calling for him to play all year. He is a beast!! Reminds me a bit of Utai!

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That video is called a highlights package? Please. More false hopes from an untested reserve grade player more like it.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But can he defend??? Most of our superstar players given a shot cant tackle for shit!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heleta is a yes he can be given a run for sure, from the little i have seen he would still likely run at them harder than Hoppa even if he was piggybacking that slackarse :laughing:

Second the Topine comment, he needs to be playing FG every week..

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who is this heleta? Never heard of him

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the fuck is topine out? Injured still? That **** showed more than everyone in our pack not named Thompson....
We don't have an exemption for him. That's what this article is all about. Can play from next week..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I would like to think we as a club haven't lost respect for players that command respect through loyalty and being great humans off and on the field !
We have Nadin Allen Alamoti and Schoupp for next year it's looking good !!!

Reactions: ATT

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, can play this weekend Rd 11.. thats why we are cracking it.
Sorry you're right. I didn't read the article properly I was working off the assumption it was round 12 (or NRL brought it forward a week to round 11 due to all the injuries/suspensions). My bad. I think it's a joke that at least topine wasn't selected this week in that case!