News NRL 2022: Canterbury Bulldogs win 16-12 over Sydney Roosters in thriller

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2022: Canterbury Bulldogs win 16-12 over Sydney Roosters in thriller
After a week of drama and without captain Josh Jackson, the Bulldogs managed to pull off a miracle upset to win just their second game of the season.

Martin Gabor

3 min read
April 30, 2022 - 7:41PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

In the absence of Josh Jackson, Josh Addo-Carr stood up as co-captain, scoring two tries. Picture: Getty Images.
In the absence of Josh Jackson, Josh Addo-Carr stood up as co-captain, scoring two tries. Picture: Getty Images.

In Gus, we trust.

After a week of headlines dominated by Gould-related column inches, the Bulldogs supremo showed he is still one of the game’s greatest thinkers as he helped engineer the upset of the season from the box as coach Trent Barrett stalked the sideline to inspire his side to a miraculous 16-12 win over a Roosters side that is totally out of sorts.
But things are never easy for Canterbury, and they had to survive one of the wildest finishes of the season to pick up their second win of the year.

With three minutes to go, it looked like Joseph Suaalii had tied things up when he slid over in the right corner. The referee awarded the try before the Bunker intervened to check for obstruction.

But that was quickly cleared, and thousands of heads dropped. That was until one last replay showed Suaalii had put a toenail into touch with the ball still in the air.

Forget about column inches. Footy is a game of millimetres.

GOULD STANDARD

Gould was criticised for some tough love at a video session and for then taking charge at training, but the players didn’t complain and it showed on the field at Accor Stadium.

This is a team that hadn’t won since Round 1, but they doubled their 2022 win tally on the back of effort and nailing the key moments.

If this was a game of skill then the Roosters would’ve won by 50. But skill counts for little if you’re not hungry enough to dive on loose balls against a team that was prepared to do anything to get the two competition points.

A nervous Trent Barrett nervously watched on from the sidelines as the game went down to the wire. Picture: Getty Images.

A nervous Trent Barrett nervously watched on from the sidelines as the game went down to the wire. Picture: Getty Images.

They tackled their guts out from the opening whistle, and when their attack started to go nowhere, Matt Burton nailed a 40/20 that woke them and the crowd from their slumber.

One man who never switched off was Barrett. Rocking a fresh suit, the under-pressure coach stood among his players on the sideline, riding each play like his career depended on it.

But who needs to sit when you’re winning? At least Gus didn’t steal his chair like he did to poor old Laurie Daley back in the day.

RED-FACED ROOSTERS

You could almost excuse their loss on Anzac Day because form always goes out the window when they play the Dragons.

But they have been in free fall for a while now, and Saturday’s result exposed everything that is wrong with them in 2022.

The top teams nail the one-percenters every week, but the Chooks committed a number of inexcusable errors that we haven’t seen from them in years.

Luke Keary failed to find touch from a penalty, they conceded a try from dummy-half, Sam Walker threw a loose pass that was intercepted by Josh Addo-Carr for a try and they even sent a restart sailing out on the full in the second half.

Then there’s their attack, which is awful right now. It took them 38 minutes to score from a kick, and their only other points came from a clear knock-on by Angus Crichton in the previous ruck and another try that featured a blatant forward pass.

They’ve relied on guys like Joseph Manu to save them this season, but he had one run for three metres in the first 60 minutes. That’s concerning.

The Foxx was slow to get going in 2022, but now has scored five tries in his last three games. Picture: Getty Images.

FLYING FOXX

It took him six games to open his Bulldogs account, but the floodgates are now open for Josh Addo-Carr on the left wing.

He has now scored five tries in three games after he bagged a first-half double at a ground where he has dominated over the years, and although the creativity on his inside is still a work in progress, his sheer effort is enough to spark something out of nothing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He looked relieved - poor bastard was under enormous pressure… But if Gus didn’t intervene, we loose that game, the guys put in 80mins of effort because they were challenged and were faced with a man-in-the-mirror moment this week by Gus.

In Gus we trust!

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looked relieved - poor bastard was under enormous pressure… But if Gus didn’t intervene, we loose that game, the guys put in 80mins of effort because they were challenged and were faced with a man-in-the-mirror moment this week by Gus.

In Gus we trust!
Cmon now.

Give Barrett the tiniest shred of praise being the coach. I have pasted him as much as anyone but we got there tonight which is all that counts.
In Gus we Trust definitely.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cmon now.

Give Barrett the tiniest shred of praise being the coach. I have pasted him as much as anyone but we got there tonight which is all that counts.
In Gus we Trust definitely.
The reality is, the team needed a rocket and when it comes from someone who is as esteemed as Gus, it usually generates the desired outcome. I’m convinced if Gus doesn’t intervene, we don’t win that game because in their minds mediocrity was being accepted - that wasn’t going to happen on Gus’ watch.

I think TB holds a terrific rapport with the team, for that, I give him credit, but he needs to be respected and sometimes that comes with giving some tough love.

But yeah, I hear you, being the head coach, he contributed to some degree but for mine, this win is Gus.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love who ever wrote this article as they had the balls to mention the clear refereeing errors that gifted the roosters the majority of their points.
I can't believe that Cummings awarded that Last which was overturned by the Bunker, That try had an obstruction, a forward pass and Suaalii was out before he grounded the ball, so thank God the bunker finally picked up something in our favor.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't believe that Cummings awarded that Last which was overturned by the Bunker, That try had an obstruction, a forward pass and Suaalii was out before he grounded the ball, so thank God the bunker finally picked up something in our favor.
The bunker gave it the all clear all the way to the end where it was eventually disallowed because of Suali’s foot going out. He even stated that Burton was impeded and said it was play on FFS

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm still not on the sack Barrett bandwagon yet. If you listen to both pressers after the game both coaches were articulate, calm and level headed with regards to team performance. We are a halfback away from being a good team. I'm confident this team will improve under Barrett. If we loose the next four games however my confidence could be rocked. If Robinson was the Bulldogs coach there'd be calls for his sacking too.

I didn't see the game just listened and read the negativity on here at halftime, but we beat the roosters. My favourite team to hate. Happy days.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reality is, the team needed a rocket and when it comes from someone who is as esteemed as Gus, it usually generates the desired outcome. I’m convinced if Gus doesn’t intervene, we don’t win that game because in their minds mediocrity was being accepted - that wasn’t going to happen on Gus’ watch.

I think TB holds a terrific rapport with the team, for that, I give him credit, but he needs to be respected and sometimes that comes with giving some tough love.

But yeah, I hear you, being the head coach, he contributed to some degree but for mine, this win is Gus.
100% with everything you said.

Paul Lent who I actually don’t mind for some odd reason made 1 good point among a bunch of shit ones about Gould. There are only so many sprays you can give before they lose meaning and don’t take effect and I guess you can say proof is in the pudding with this one.

Coming from someone in management you make yourself accountable in the bad times but also reap the rewards in the good times. Live by the sword die by the sword and judged on your results. TB gets a week in the sunshine at least but fuck there are alot of things he needs to fix.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The bunker gave it the all clear all the way to the end where it was eventually disallowed because of Suali’s foot going out. He even stated that Burton was impeded and said it was play on FFS
Dead set did... He said the words, checked and impeded yet cleared it lol

Look i can live with the obscured knock ons and fast paced forward passes but when you cant get it right when your watching a video you should not be anywhere near officiating. Reeks of corruption....

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it... Heat on the Rorters now!
Yes there is. I must say I really admired how Robinson went about his press conference. He took full accountability on things not working and actually thought there was a forward pass in the Suali try in the lead up and agreed no try. Refreshing to hear an opposition come across this way and out the one eyed BS aside.
Hopefully there is heat on Robinson as Gould would take him in a heart beat.