News NRL 2022: Canterbury Bulldogs win 16-12 over Sydney Roosters in thriller

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Here as a Chooks supporters, congrats on a decent win. Towards the end of the game when the Chooks looked like they could score I said to my mate, if we win it's no reflection of the game.

Reckon the fans and players can take a lot out of that win. You blokes showed real ticker and JAC....FMS he's a talker in that side BUT he walks the walk
man.
I reckon break that drought, you're gonna see a needed turnaround.

Congrats guys on a good deserved win.....mind you if it was Souffs I'd be pissed deluxe. But I have a soft spot for the Berries.
Cheers for that. Cudos!

Interested on your take on the bunker and refs towards the end. I know you would have googles for your team just like we have for ours but that last 10 to 15 minutes surely seemed that they were trying to gift the win to you guy's. The forward passes leading to that try out the right hand side and then the absurdness leading to the eventual no-try right at the death?

I'll admit even with 1 minute left I thought we would lose/have the game robbed from us.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve got a ball playing fullback who can fill that role
For how long though.
Dufty’s discipline is a worry. Last week an attempted headbutt last night penalised for backchat. Needs to pull his head in and play the ball, not the man.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Robinson is a genuine top class coach. His record of 3 GF wins over the last decade is only matched by Bellamy. Those two are way above all other current coaches.
Yeah but he always had teams full of rep superstars. I’m sure even the likes of Baz, Jason Taylor, Nathan Brown etc would’ve jagged at least one premiership over that period with the same squad/s

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Here as a Chooks supporters, congrats on a decent win. Towards the end of the game when the Chooks looked like they could score I said to my mate, if we win it's no reflection of the game.

Reckon the fans and players can take a lot out of that win. You blokes showed real ticker and JAC....FMS he's a talker in that side BUT he walks the walk
man.
I reckon break that drought, you're gonna see a needed turnaround.

Congrats guys on a good deserved win.....mind you if it was Souffs I'd be pissed deluxe. But I have a soft spot for the Berries.
Thanks mate.
Always like a good sport.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For how long though.
Dufty’s discipline is a worry. Last week an attempted headbutt last night penalised for backchat. Needs to pull his head in and play the ball, not the man.
He’s better at that role than Jacko. So while on team sheet has to be the man. Was it Dufty or Pangai with backchat? Hard to tell off the Tele. We lack any speed in attack, which all comes from JMK. Yet through Jacko in the mix, and it’s horribly slow

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Robinson is a genuine top class coach. His record of 3 GF wins over the last decade is only matched by Bellamy. Those two are way above all other current coaches.
They signed Teddy and Cronk in the same season. Gee the luxury of having both NSW and QLD halfbacks officially on the books at the same time. Yeah sure Pearce ultimately left not long after to the Knights but was still contracted to the chooks. He could’ve stayed if he chose to dig his heels in. Don’t underestimate the role that their Sombrero has played in their success.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He’s better at that role than Jacko. So while on team sheet has to be the man. Was it Dufty or Pangai with backchat? Hard to tell off the Tele. We lack any speed in attack, which all comes from JMK. Yet through Jacko in the mix, and it’s horribly slow
I hear what you’re saying, not disagreeing either.
Dufty copped the backchat.
To me though he’s not playing like a bloke on a one year contract fighting to save his career.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Back in March Robbo inked a new deal with the Cocks until the end of 2028. He’s not leaving Bondi.
Not going to hijack the thread but you're right and IMHO TBH was a stupid deal....I'd even say if we had Bellamy that would still be a bad move.

Yes he's been good, he got us a double title but like anybody coaches can get stale or lose the dressing room. I would've signed him for 3 only.
You blokes know what the future of coaches can be.....like standing on a block of ice with a fire underneath.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not going to hijack the thread but you're right and IMHO TBH was a stupid deal....I'd even say if we had Bellamy that would still be a bad move.

Yes he's been good, he got us a double title but like anybody coaches can get stale or lose the dressing room. I would've signed him for 3 only.
You blokes know what the future of coaches can be.....like standing on a block of ice with a fire underneath.
Don’t disagree at all.
By the time this deal finishes he’ll have been there 15 years. Apart from Bellamy that’s almost unprecedented and could backfire over time.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Back in the 1980’s when he was coaching the Bulldogs, Warren Ryan made 2 comments about coaches that still ring true to this day.

1. Players and coaches come and go, but the officials that put them there seem to last forever. I think that was a direct reference to Bullfrog.

2. There are 2 types of coaches. Ones that have been sacked, or are waiting to be sacked.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cheers for that. Cudos!

Interested on your take on the bunker and refs towards the end.
I'll admit even with 1 minute left I thought we would lose/have the game robbed from us.
If you blokes lost in the last 60 then it was a steal. From the 1st few minutes you guys looked more like you had a reason. We looked like Oh Yeah another day at work.

Plus we also scored from a know on....how the ref and bunker thought that was kosher....FFS....but I'd blow up if it happened to us.

Even some blokes on the Chookpen.... that are half logic even saying you blokes out played us. Then the boneheads get on and sack TR , Suali is all hype (at 18 with 3 games this year)....that rubbish.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes there is. I must say I really admired how Robinson went about his press conference. He took full accountability on things not working and actually thought there was a forward pass in the Suali try in the lead up and agreed no try. Refreshing to hear an opposition come across this way and out the one eyed BS aside.
Hopefully there is heat on Robinson as Gould would take him in a heart beat.
Robinson's always been good like that. He came out a few years ago and blasted the ref's on behalf of everyone. Will try post it later today.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but he always had teams full of rep superstars. I’m sure even the likes of Baz, Jason Taylor, Nathan Brown etc would’ve jagged at least one premiership over that period with the same squad/s
Name one coach over the last 2 decades that won a premiership without rep superstars in their team. Did Bennett ever lead a dud side to a GF win? So by your reasoning Bennett is a dud coach as well?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They signed Teddy and Cronk in the same season. Gee the luxury of having both NSW and QLD halfbacks officially on the books at the same time. Yeah sure Pearce ultimately left not long after to the Knights but was still contracted to the chooks. He could’ve stayed if he chose to dig his heels in. Don’t underestimate the role that their Sombrero has played in their success.
So having Teddy and Cronk in your team means you can automatically beat every other team in the comp? Didn't Melbourne have Munster plus future immortals Smith and Slater in their team? How many comps did Teddy win before he joined the Chooks? Your suggestion that Chooks success had nothing to do with Robinson as coach is nonsense.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the team he had then, that team is now gone and look at where he is now. He will stay there until the sombrero kicks in for next season when they have 14 players off contract.

Always a Bulldog
Name one coach over the last decade that won a premiership without a good roster. Did Bennett ever win a GF without a side that had star players? Has Bellamy ever won a legit GF without Cam Smith and a side stacked with rep players?

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminded me of last year also round 8 against the sharks when we got our first win the way he was pacing up and down the sideline...he's still not a good coach but good to see how much it meant to him