News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You tried it with Lenui and he stayed for unders. Also yeah change a previously agreed upon contract because you have a future contract? Makes sense.

Also good luck tempting crichton and Luai:

View attachment 21170
Leniu stayed because of his Samoan brothers 100% without those boys he'd be in the blue and white for sure. As much as I hated missing out on him it will be good to see all those guys stick together.

Malla

Reaction score
lol poor Cleary has no clue. This is bigger than him and his agendas. Burton will be in a bulldogs jersey and the longer panthers wait the shitter (if any) the player they get in exchange. Burton and his manager are going to keep making noise, Laundy is involved too. Baz has steered clear.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Leniu stayed because of his Samoan brothers 100% without those boys he'd be in the blue and white for sure. As much as I hated missing out on him it will be good to see all those guys stick together.
Yeah the Mt Druitt connection kinda saving our cap. Staines signed for less than what he was offered as well so we haven't done too bad and why I'm not worried about losing Burton. We got to keep bunch of our juniors and sent a couple to clubs who genuinely need them.

Word was you offered close to $700k - $800k. Would that have been worth it for you guys for Lenui?

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol poor Cleary has no clue. This is bigger than him and his agendas. Burton will be in a bulldogs jersey and the longer panthers wait the shitter (if any) the player they get in exchange. Burton and his manager are going to keep making noise, Laundy is involved too. Baz has steered clear.
That's not how negotiations work. Panthers have what the dogs want. Our position doesn't weaken over time. I don't know how desperate the dogs are but the reaction being so big suggests it's pretty bad and will get worse.

Malla

Reaction score
That's not how negotiations work. Panthers have what the dogs want. Our position doesn't weaken over time. I don't know how desperate the dogs are but the reaction being so big suggests it's pretty bad and will get worse.
Lol thanks for your input

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah the Mt Druitt connection kinda saving our cap. Staines signed for less than what he was offered as well so we haven't done too bad and why I'm not worried about losing Burton. We got to keep bunch of our juniors and sent a couple to clubs who genuinely need them.

Word was you offered close to $700k - $800k. Would that have been worth it for you guys for Lenui?
For Leniu 100% he is worth that. The way the games going he's the type of forward you want. Young explosive talent like him is rare to find on market ATM. We need another elite prop to partner Thompson if Hetherington doesn't step up to the plate and really besides Guler there's not much else imo. I like Atoni but he's more suited to the bench/impact.

Also like most I'm keen to see Staines again, I do think letting Whare go is a mistake. He and Charlie would have been a very balanced edge, great hands and defence is all a young speedster needs on his inside

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For Leniu 100% he is worth that. The way the games going he's the type of forward you want. Young explosive talent like him is rare to find on market ATM. We need another elite prop to partner Thompson if Hetherington doesn't step up to the plate and really besides Guler there's not much else imo. I like Atoni but he's more suited to the bench/impact.

Also like most I'm keen to see Staines again, I do think letting Whare go is a mistake. He and Charlie would have been a very balanced edge, great hands and defence is all a young speedster needs on his inside
Yeah hopefully you've got some forwards coming through. Saw a post on Facebook the other day about the dogs running junior training for heaps of guys or something so clearly just a matter of time.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your position does weaken if the team is affected by the outside noise. If Burton now sits in reserves all year, it won't help the way other players see your club. There's a reason clubs mostly release players in these situations, the lesser of two evils to be fair, to avoid the ongoing disruption and negativity. Penrith have every right to hang onto Burton or seek their preferred negotiated outcome, but that position isn't risk free.

Last edited:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're position does weaken if the team is affected by the outside noise. If Burton now sits in reserves all year, it won't help the way other players see your club. There's a reason clubs mostly release players in these situations, the lesser of two evils to be fair, to avoid the ongoing disruption and negativity. Penrith have every right to hang onto Burton or seek their preferred negotiated outcome, but that position isn't risk free.
You're right which is why managers usually have players pretend there's an issue and cause trouble. Look at the winger who went from dragons to Manly. Said he wanted a shorter drive yet will now take longer lol. Of course not releasing players in itself won't effect players signing. Look at the storm. Absolutely ruthless but they win games so most players would give their left nut to play there.

liambritemmy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Get the RLPA involved, it might not work but it will make more noise. I'm sure Burton's position at Panthers would be depressing for him and it could be in his best interests to be granted a release.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Caringbah cafe news: Ivan is being a massive **** he’s worked up about the fact the we signed burton and doesn’t care what he does this is all out of SPITE. He’s offering up ridiculous swaps that no one would agree too only to save face

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Brandy hates us. He would be a driving force. **** always speak absolute shit against us in commentating. What id love is a picture of him at the storm game.

They have been a rabble for decades and honestly I see them going like the sharks except without the title.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
did you hear Matty Johns and Andrew Webster basically debunk the story of the now current Knights coach Adam O'Brien and his alcohol-fuelled episode at the races basically saying it's all "rumour and innuendo" LOLLLL the Knights unofficial PR machine that is Johns is doing his best to make sure the Knights brand stays untarnished.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea the dogs are desperate? That's a weird take......any club in our position would be doing everything possible to convince a club to release a player early. The reaction is no bigger than the reaction of any other club would be. By all accounts Penrith have already offered one "compromise" and we knocked it back because it was unreasonable and not in the club's interests. It would be ideal for Burton to come a year early, but if not, by all accounts Averillo is training well there....we're not going to get desperate and offer you guys the world at the 11th hour. If we were going to do that, we'd do it now so Burton could start training the club ASAP..

There are only three possibilities as I see it - Burton and his management choose to accept the situation as is and get on with things and he stays in Penrith until the end of the season, or noises become louder and louder from the Burton camp until it gets to the point Penrith decide the situation is untenable and agree to let him go, or Penrith offer a compromise we see as reasonable and we make a deal.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You're right which is why managers usually have players pretend there's an issue and cause trouble. Look at the winger who went from dragons to Manly. Said he wanted a shorter drive yet will now take longer lol. Of course not releasing players in itself won't effect players signing. Look at the storm. Absolutely ruthless but they win games so most players would give their left nut to play there.
You need to maintain your dominance for a long time to develop a reputation like that of the Storm.....one great season won't cut it. First, let's see if you can build on last year, or if you end up going backwards. Penrith's attack looked pretty poor before Barrett came on board. Cleary's overall record is pretty unremarkable too.....If he can keep Penrith firing and making top four, players will want to keep coming. If they go backwards, things like holding onto Burton may dissuade players in the future. It's also worth noting that Melbourne tend to hold onto key players in their first choice 17, not depth options who have signed elsewhere..... they just let B Smith go early and he was getting regular first grade game time. I think most clubs would release Burton if the noise got loud enough.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea the dogs are desperate? That's a weird take......any club in our position would be doing everything possible to convince a club to release a player early. The reaction is no bigger than the reaction of any other club would be. By all accounts Penrith have already offered one "compromise" and we knocked it back because it was unreasonable and not in the club's interests. It would be ideal for Burton to come a year early, but if not, by all accounts Averillo is training well there....we're not going to get desperate and offer you guys the world at the 11th hour. If we were going to do that, we'd do it now so Burton could start training the club ASAP..

There are only three possibilities as I see it - Burton and his management choose to accept the situation as is and get on with things and he stays in Penrith until the end of the season, or noises become louder and louder from the Burton camp until it gets to the point Penrith decide the situation is untenable and agree to let him go, or Penrith offer a compromise we see as reasonable and we make a deal.
The fan reaction is definitely looking like you guys are pinning your hopes on him and the pressure from the media side accusing us of harming the kid. Though there seems to be a split in the dogs fandom. Those who feel they need him now and those willing to show faith in Averillo. It's been interesting to watch and I'm keen to see what happens with Averillo over the next few years.

My main point was though is that in negotiations we have the position of strength since we are wanting anything from the dogs. From a purely football club perspective There's little incentive to give in to demands so the idea that time is against us as said wasn't true.

Now my personal opinion is that they should just sort a deal and get it over with but these are professional clubs that have to do what's best for them.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No but on an unrelated note we can offer you a 96 model Tyrone May, low Kms playing off the bench! only one off season incident! and the kicker.... we've added the punchable face optional extra free of charge. That's right FREE!!!
Nice. Where do I send my deposit?