News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't see the hype around Avo.....He was a bright spark in an ordinary team last year. Let's be honest it was a year where us fans and our fanbase were searching for anything to be positive about during a dismal season and he caught the eye. Consistency is the key and Avo faded in and out games last year and still shows deficiencies in his game , that's why the hype surrounding him is unjustified!!! I just find it concerning when you sign a player like Burton and then try to shift him out of his preferred position like some here on the kennel have suggested just to accommodate and substantiate Avo's place in the team. Let's see how he preforms this year before we over hype him and place unrealistic expectations on his shoulders only to rip him down if he fails to live up to those expectations. Which time has already shown to be the Kennel's way.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Donkeys are letting McCullough decide what he wants to do for this season;

McCulllough was given time off from training by coach Kevin Walters on Thursday to finalise his future, with a three-year offer from St George Illawarra set to see him released from Red Hill.

Makes Penrith looks even more petty.

Go Dogs

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The fan reaction is definitely looking like you guys are pinning your hopes on him and the pressure from the media side accusing us of harming the kid. Though there seems to be a split in the dogs fandom. Those who feel they need him now and those willing to show faith in Averillo. It's been interesting to watch and I'm keen to see what happens with Averillo over the next few years.

My main point was though is that in negotiations we have the position of strength since we are wanting anything from the dogs. From a purely football club perspective There's little incentive to give in to demands so the idea that time is against us as said wasn't true.

Now my personal opinion is that they should just sort a deal and get it over with but these are professional clubs that have to do what's best for them.
Fair enough, mate.....but fan and media reactions are one thing, the way the club feels about it is another. I'm sure they want Burton asap....who wouldn't? But I don't think they will resort to desperate tactics to get him early.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fair enough, mate.....but fan and media reactions are one thing, the way the club feels about it is another. I'm sure they want Burton asap....who wouldn't? But I don't think they will resort to desperate tactics to get him early.
I have to agree as I club they seem fairly mature about things.

The Donkeys are letting McCullough decide what he wants to do for this season;

McCulllough was given time off from training by coach Kevin Walters on Thursday to finalise his future, with a three-year offer from St George Illawarra set to see him released from Red Hill.

Makes Penrith looks even more petty.

Go Dogs
Different dynamic though. Broncis likely don't use him this year where as our plans certainly would've included Burton.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have to agree as I club they seem fairly mature about things.

Different dynamic though. Broncis likely don't use him this year where as our plans certainly would've included Burton.
He's also on 100s of thousands more than what Burton is on lol. Sorry, some of our fans just don't get it :tearsofjoy:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think it is desperation so much on the 'Dogs part but rather optimism and impatience... the Hasler era for us was successful to an extent with a minor premiership and two GF appearances but our best year with Hasler was the first year in 2012 (which is an indictment of Hasler) and what followed was a steady decline as a result of poor squad management, player indiscipline (eg. Barba), an abandonment of our juniors, rigid coaching, and truly awful salary cap management meaning that by 2017 we were an impotent team incapable of contending and in truth, incapable of even scoring... and in view of the above-mentioned mismanagement, it was going to take years to sort out

in the three years since, we have been nowhere near finals contention and in fact, have fielded the worst squad in the comp and have done well to just avoid the spoon... and it has not been an easy time to be a 'Dogs fan

however, going into the 2021 season, a lot of the salary cap issues have been resolved, there have been some astute signings, new blood in the coaching and management and off field sponsorships etc.

now, have we sorted out all our issues? will we be contending in 2021? are we within a premiership window which is closing? no... hence, we aren't desperate and if nothing else, the last few years has taught us 'Dogs fans patience

I guess with the longer term vision of the team building we have been undergoing since Barrett has come in and Burton committed to the club from 2022 on and clearly not in Penrith's first team for 2021, it makes sense to try to get him across early to acclimatise to his new club, new teammates, let him earn what his talent justifies etc.

that does not mean that the Panthers need to do the 'Dogs any favours or should be guilted into releasing Burton... for example, I still remember when Justin Hodges signed for the Roosters despite the Broncos clearly viewing him as a key player in their future... not only was he not released early, Bennett dropped him from FG

but don't speak of Burton getting opportunities in other positions for the Panthers in 2021 but then not give him opportunities to train and compete in said position(s) during the off season... do not speak rubbish about being a bit part player in the FG squad being better for his development than him having first crack in FG at the 'Dogs in his preferred position... do not harp on about the sanctity of contracts when your own coach broke a contract with a rival to return to your team with the hopes of retaining your young star halfback

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Call Burton up and tell him to give the game plan if he's still sitting on the sidelines when we play the Panthers....

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I do not think it is desperation so much on the 'Dogs part but rather optimism and impatience... the Hasler era for us was successful to an extent with a minor premiership and two GF appearances but our best year with Hasler was the first year in 2012 (which is an indictment of Hasler) and what followed was a steady decline as a result of poor squad management, player indiscipline (eg. Barba), an abandonment of our juniors, rigid coaching, and truly awful salary cap management meaning that by 2017 we were an impotent team incapable of contending and in truth, incapable of even scoring... and in view of the above-mentioned mismanagement, it was going to take years to sort out

in the three years since, we have been nowhere near finals contention and in fact, have fielded the worst squad in the comp and have done well to just avoid the spoon... and it has not been an easy time to be a 'Dogs fan

however, going into the 2021 season, a lot of the salary cap issues have been resolved, there have been some astute signings, new blood in the coaching and management and off field sponsorships etc.

now, have we sorted out all our issues? will we be contending in 2021? are we within a premiership window which is closing? no... hence, we aren't desperate and if nothing else, the last few years has taught us 'Dogs fans patience

I guess with the longer term vision of the team building we have been undergoing since Barrett has come in and Burton committed to the club from 2022 on and clearly not in Penrith's first team for 2021, it makes sense to try to get him across early to acclimatise to his new club, new teammates, let him earn what his talent justifies etc.

that does not mean that the Panthers need to do the 'Dogs any favours or should be guilted into releasing Burton... for example, I still remember when Justin Hodges signed for the Roosters despite the Broncos clearly viewing him as a key player in their future... not only was he not released early, Bennett dropped him from FG

but don't speak of Burton getting opportunities in other positions for the Panthers in 2021 but then not give him opportunities to train and compete in said position(s) during the off season... do not speak rubbish about being a bit part player in the FG squad being better for his development than him having first crack in FG at the 'Dogs in his preferred position... do not harp on about the sanctity of contracts when your own coach broke a contract with a rival to return to your team with the hopes of retaining your young star halfback
I never said it was better for his development and I absolutely can talk about contracts being meaningless. If anything the Ivan thing is just further evidence on top of an already existing mountain of evidence that the nrl is broken in regards to how contracts are handled.

Reactions: TAS

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's also on 100s of thousands more than what Burton is on lol. Sorry, some of our fans just don't get it :tearsofjoy:
Exactly. He's extremely talented back up on not too much. That's worth a LOT to any team especially us who have to back up from their best ever season almost.

Gawd_Dawg_BB

Banned
Reaction score
Cleary is about Cleary and the Panthers that's all he doesn't care if he's holding a player back

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly. He's extremely talented back up on not too much. That's worth a LOT to any team especially us who have to back up from their best ever season almost.
Yup. As I said previously it's all about weighing up the pros and cons and keeping someone like Burton around on his wage is just way too tempting. I guess the potential backlash is disharmony within the group and young players in the future maybe feeling hesitant and looking to sign shorter term deals with you guys.

Anyway the NRL needs to sort this out, players can't be signing this early anymore and allow managers to disrupt seasons dragging out negotiations to milk every last $$$ for the contract.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't work. He's committed now and you'd run the risk of actually having to pay him like $800k.

Just offer us Ogden with one of the halves you don't want with a little cap thrown in and you'd likely get what you want.(Idea from Panthers forum which seems reasonable.)
What, and throw in a clause that Burton can't play against you guys in round 2?

Hey dude, you only came runners up last year, not running the comp. Tell Ivan the egotistic Twat that he is to shove his demands up his Tic Toc.

We'll see him in round two.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Panthers are under no obligation to release Burton, who will provide much-needed depth should first-choice halves Nathan Cleary and Luai be unavailable due to injury or representative commitments. Burton was told from the outset that he wouldn’t be released early and Canterbury haven’t been able to change Penrith’s stance despite offering up at least four different players at various stages in a bid to tempt the Panthers into a swap deal.

I wonder who has been offered up?

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yup. As I said previously it's all about weighing up the pros and cons and keeping someone like Burton around on his wage is just way too tempting. I guess the potential backlash is disharmony within the group and young players in the future maybe feeling hesitant and looking to sign shorter term deals with you guys.

Anyway the NRL needs to sort this out, players can't be signing this early anymore and allow managers to disrupt seasons dragging out negotiations to milk every last $$$ for the contract.
Definitely. It might be us now but it's been others before and will be other teams again and has to stop.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What, and throw in a clause that Burton can't play against you guys in round 2?

Hey dude, you only came runners up last year, not running the comp. Tell Ivan the egotistic Twat that he is to shove his demands up his Tic Toc.

We'll see him in round two.
Sure give us as much as possible. I've seen enough bashing on Lewis for example to think he might be not wanted but maybe I was wrong.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Panthers are under no obligation to release Burton, who will provide much-needed depth should first-choice halves Nathan Cleary and Luai be unavailable due to injury or representative commitments. Burton was told from the outset that he wouldn’t be released early and Canterbury haven’t been able to change Penrith’s stance despite offering up at least four different players at various stages in a bid to tempt the Panthers into a swap deal.

I wonder who has been offered up?
Napa and Ogden are the only two that have been mentioned previously. We are pretty thin on expendable assets that another club would want.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we all get it, well I certainly do, but it's not all one way in the Donkeys McCullough comparison. Sure Burton doesn't cost much so releasing him doesn't free up as much Cap space for Penrith as McCullough does for the Donkeys. But McCullough is an established long time NRL level player and currently a first choice hooker. In comparison Burton is a rooky in NRL terms and isn't even the back up 5/8 or the back up centre. McCullough is valuable to StGeorge, arguably more so than Burton is valuable to us, but definitely more valuable to the Donkeys than Burton is to Penrith.

The fact is the Donkeys are prepared to let a much more valuable, established, NRL player decide where he plays this year and Penrith are not prepared to let a rooky, back up player decide his immediate future.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's not how negotiations work. Panthers have what the dogs want. Our position doesn't weaken over time. I don't know how desperate the dogs are but the reaction being so big suggests it's pretty bad and will get worse.
Pffft, I can wait nine months.