News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan is egotistical twat.. so i'd try calling him out by saying he won't release Burton because he is scared of a bulldogs team that includes Burton because deep down he knows they will beat the panthers.... then continue with that line when he rebukes it.. w0rth a shot?.. if not it would be good for giggles and set up a fiery encounter when we play next.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yup. As I said previously it's all about weighing up the pros and cons and keeping someone like Burton around on his wage is just way too tempting. I guess the potential backlash is disharmony within the group and young players in the future maybe feeling hesitant and looking to sign shorter term deals with you guys.

Anyway the NRL needs to sort this out, players can't be signing this early anymore and allow managers to disrupt seasons dragging out negotiations to milk every last $$$ for the contract.
At some point Penrith have to weigh up whether having a great backup is worth the distraction of all of the constant media speculation about if and when he'll get a release as this story could drag on for the first half of the season and we all know the media love flogging a dead horse...

Plus playing hardball and not doing what's right by Burton could lead to agents and players being turned off by them as an option because they don't look after their players in certain situations.

Not to mention our club and others will be less likely to help them out and not play hardball with them when the shoe is on the other foot and they're looking to move on players on huge contracts like they did with RCG, Moylan etc.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3 big ones will be announced together. No idea why. Marketing people think they're clever I guess.

Crichton changed managers to Ayoub. Pretty self explanatory that one.

It's not robbery since the contract for this year is the one he signed with us. It's you who are crying because we won't break it early just for you. It's the insistence that a contract shouldn't be honored even if both parties don't agree that's unethical. Don't pretend you care about Burton's earnings, it's the benefit he brings to your roster hence the people who want to shaft Averillo for him. Cleary also paid a fee to the Tigers which they set for him.
I'm sorry Old Panther, I don't know about you - but the way I was raised was to be happy for and to applaud people who are able to reach financial gain through their good honest hard work as is the case with Matt Burton in this situation. Does he have an existing contract? Yes he does, but those who have control of that contract are denying him from moving on to gain an extra $300,000 & denying him from realising his child dream right now with the immediate chance to play regular first grade which he is ready for.

Being involved in the junior development of kids in sport, there is nothing more satisfying to me than seeing a young kid realise his sporting dreams.

So don't tell me what I feel about the Matt Burton situation, because you'll never know "what I feel", just like I'll never know what you feel.

And as for the money, it's all about the money from Ivan's point of view. I'm not sure what your earn is, but I gotta work a hell of a long time to earn that kind of dough. So when I see a young man work hard & gain what I only dreamed of as a kid, It makes me very happy for them.

Here's an idea, how about Ivan takes 300k out of his Sons 1 million dollar 2021 wage & give it to Matt Burton this year. But hang on, it's not about the money is it?

It's all about the money because they know they are paying this kid way unders, and this contract must be honoured from your and the Panthers point of view because of that fact.

So yes, I do give a shit about a young bloke being shafted due to the fact that even your very own MG stated last night on his triple m show "The Panthers Are Being Greedy", all at the expense of a young kid who's worked hard to finally realise his dream.

Hey Old Panther, why don't you share the link to your Panthers fan forum, so all these wonderful Bulldogs supporters can join you on there and have a chat.

Malla

Reaction score
I don't see the hype around Avo.....He was a bright spark in an ordinary team last year. Let's be honest it was a year where us fans and our fanbase were searching for anything to be positive about during a dismal season and he caught the eye. Consistency is the key and Avo faded in and out games last year and still shows deficiencies in his game , that's why the hype surrounding him is unjustified!!! I just find it concerning when you sign a player like Burton and then try to shift him out of his preferred position like some here on the kennel have suggested just to accommodate and substantiate Avo's place in the team. Let's see how he preforms this year before we over hype him and place unrealistic expectations on his shoulders only to rip him down if he fails to live up to those expectations. Which time has already shown to be the Kennel's way.
Give the bloke a break. His first season in first grade playing for a rubbish team with a rubbish coach that would struggle to run a bath.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm sorry Old Panther, I don't know about you - but the way I was raised was to be happy for and to applaud people who are able to reach financial gain through their good honest hard work as is the case with Matt Burton in this situation. Does he have an existing contract? Yes he does, but those who have control of that contract are denying him from moving on to gain an extra $300,000 & denying him from realising his child dream right now with the immediate chance to play regular first grade which he is ready for.

Being involved in the junior development of kids in sport, there is nothing more satisfying to me than seeing a young kid realise his sporting dreams.

So don't tell me what I feel about the Matt Burton situation, because you'll never know "what I feel", just like I'll never know what you feel.

And as for the money, it's all about the money from Ivan's point of view. I'm not sure what your earn is, but I gotta work a hell of a long time to earn that kind of dough. So when I see a young man work hard & gain what I only dreamed of as a kid, It makes me very happy for them.

Here's an idea, how about Ivan takes 300k out of his Sons 1 million dollar 2021 wage & give it to Matt Burton this year. But hang on, it's not about the money is it?

It's all about the money because they know they are paying this kid way unders, and this contract must be honoured from your and the Panthers point of view because of that fact.

So yes, I do give a shit about a young bloke being shafted due to the fact that even your very own MG stated last night on his triple m show "The Panthers Are Being Greedy", all at the expense of a young kid who's worked hard to finally realise his dream.

Hey Old Panther, why don't you share the link to your Panthers fan forum, so all these wonderful Bulldogs supporters can join you on there and have a chat.
as much as i would love Burton to come across this year, we have no right to him. He is contracted to Penrith and he should honour his contract.
As Brandy stated this morning, if Cleary goes down he is their only halfback. Luai is a 6 same as May.
We really have no right in this matter IMO.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

He got what he earned. First an upgrade to our top 30 which is a pretty substantial pay rise up to minimum $110k a year. Then when the opportunity to negotiate a new contract he did just that and got himself a deal for when his current one ends. Anything other than that is a bonus. One I wouldn't begrudge him from getting in the slightest and I'd cheer the dogs on in any game not against us.

Feel free to come and engage. I love the discussion agree or not. It's been particularly nice to engage with fans who have that burning for the new season. Unlike dragons fans when I said they'd get the spoon and they just agreed and it was kind of sad.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. He's extremely talented back up on not too much. That's worth a LOT to any team especially us who have to back up from their best ever season almost.
I know if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't want the Dogs to release him without some significant compensation!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't want the Dogs to release him without some significant compensation!!
But we've never gotten compensation. Not for Hannant or Klemmer or CHN or anyone else.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
that was our fault, bad management.
For sure.. But the point is, you don't always get compensation back as it's often hard to work out roster/cap wise and often teams play hardball. But more often than not the player gets moved because they become a distraction or the story itself does..

Obviously Burton being on a cheap deal changes the dynamic, but that also makes it harder for us to give them a player back.

In the end, it seems harsh from the Panthers to deny a kid a chance to play FG when players are breaking contracts every second day during this offseason and every other season. Sure, they're under no obligation to release him, but the longer they hold him there against his will, the worse they look.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The thing I think is one thing this does do is any talented kids will be cautious with the panthers. While within their right and understand the process ultimately its proven they are being insanely salty with it all. Napa on 650k paid for? Lol.

If you were a kid this would be something noted with them as ultimately burton is the one losing couple hundred thousand.

If brandy was so concerned as halfback depth they would ask for Lewis or wakeham and probably get it despite no doubt being double the pay burton is on. Lewis is Fucking triple...

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
that was our fault, bad management.
I also think there is a massive difference in the personalities of Burton to Klemmer and CHN (not so much Hannant, who was one of the first 'homesick' releases). Penrith are probably satisfied that he won't cause trouble around the group if he is not released. Klemmer and CHN would have been absolute cancer.