Now playing Rugby Union

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I noticed this watching and immediately called it as it should be a penalty. But this video has pointed out a few things. Woolford actively grabs Preston, then pinches another 10m to get an attacking kick in. I’m sure the rules state as soon as you impede a defender it’s a penalty? Also noticed Rabbits got a penalty tonight for a similar situation. I know the ref was bad last night. But just another example of BS calls going against us.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am guessing that there is going to be a crackdown on this ordered from Head Office sooner rather than later. Until then smart teams exploit the lack of/very lax enforcement of the rule and that is exactly what the Bulldogs should be doing .... play smarter not harder ....

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I noticed this watching and immediately called it as it should be a penalty. But this video has pointed out a few things. Woolford actively grabs Preston, then pinches another 10m to get an attacking kick in. I’m sure the rules state as soon as you impede a defender it’s a penalty? Also noticed Rabbits got a penalty tonight for a similar situation. I know the ref was bad last night. But just another example of BS calls going against us.
Lets be honest... they won't act on this until it happens against Souths or Penrith.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a result of the hip drop hysteria. Noticed it with our boys, we were hesitant to tackle the legs once a player was held up. Contributed to the massive PCM Horsborough in particular was able to get. Only really Oloapu was tackling legs and he was mainly first man in.

Doggfather

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Raiders should have scored two extra tries against us if it wasn’t for the refs last night.

Let’s be honest they outplayed us in every facet yesterday.

If we need referee calls to go “our way” then we’re clearly not up scratch.

Hope is not a strategy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The refs or the rules aren't to blame for our soft defence.

We had a lot of calls go our way that game. How about make good initial contact or tackle around the legs so he doesn't run for 40 metres?

I agree a teammate shouldn't act as a driver to help the attacking team but again, it wouldn't be an issue if our team showed more resolve.

Last edited:

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was confused about that thought they must of changed the rule too you couldn't do that over opponents try line only.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem is that were not giving ourselves enough ball playing, I was getting worried when we kept doing hit up after hit up then running the ball and spreading it like we did with the dragons. Once you hit that 50/60 minute mark, we should be spreading the ball as defence lines will be staggered as their tired. South Sydney have been doing it for years and look at where they are...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I questioned this straight away too!! Momentum seemed to stop until woolford started pushing. Im ok with defenders helping their player not get pushed back as the ref normally calls held anyway, but this is just rediculous and should not be allowed. Its actually not allowed. Wheres the penalty?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Imagine how good our forwards would go with one or two blokes pushing them from behind each set….

the tv commentary on those incidents were both hilarious and Fkn stupid…in one play, Horsborough is clearly getting pushed from behind by Hudson Young, the commentators pay zero attention to it and are praising Horsborough for some kind of Herculean effort with 20 or so post contact meters. Hudson Young was apparently “invisible” to all… go figure.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Supposed to be a penalty because he’s touching an opposition player.
you can only push on your teammate.
Soft defense, though.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Lending Weight

It is permissible for a player to lend weight to a teammate in possession in order to avoid losing ground.

1. It is not permissible for the player lending weight to impede a defender from making the tackle
  2. The Referee will take into account any momentum the tackle has already generated.

Should have been a penalty, at no point was horsborough losing ground and woolford 100% impedes the tacklers by driving him forward.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The refs or the rules aren't to blame for our soft defence.

We had a lot of calls go our way that game. How about make good initial contact or tackle around the legs so he doesn't run for 40 metres?

I agree a teammate shouldn't act as a driver to help the attacking team but again, it wouldn't be an issue if our team showed more resolve.
100% it's easier to blame everyone except ourselves.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing this year the club are not using the refs as an excuse, we must overcome adversity to make us a better team.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lending Weight

It is permissible for a player to lend weight to a teammate in possession in order to avoid losing ground.

1. It is not permissible for the player lending weight to impede a defender from making the tackle
  2. The Referee will take into account any momentum the tackle has already generated.

Should have been a penalty, at no point was horsborough losing ground and woolford 100% impedes the tacklers by driving him forward.
Woolford had hold of Preston's collar in that same motion and was holding our defender's head up like he was trying to hang his washing on a clothes line.
Preston really resented it but didn't go on with it . Due to his class.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good thing this year the club are not using the refs as an excuse, we must overcome adversity to make us a better team.
Fans like the excuse though!