News Novel way Trent Barrett kicked off new Canterbury Bulldogs era

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will give his players a detailed history lesson into the club’s halcyon days of the 1980s and 1990s, declaring: “It would be nice to get back to those days.”
Barrett officially started as Bulldogs head coach on Monday morning, his first task to show the 20-strong football staff a video of the club’s amazing success over the past 85 years.

And in another crash course, Canterbury players will watch the footage when they return next Monday from their off-season break. The club’s long-term past is glorious, their short-term history diabolical.

Canterbury has not won a premiership since 2004 and has only claimed two titles in the past 25 years. The Bulldogs have not reached the finals since 2016 and since that time the underachieving Dogs have won just 31 of 92 games.

Barrett will provide new hope and enthusiasm for Bulldogs fans who have endured 61 losses in the past 4 years.

“This is a club the local area should be really proud of and I know that they are.” Barrett said. “Our fans and members certainly deserve some success and we will have to work really hard to give that to them.

New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett on his first day in the job.
New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett on his first day in the job.
“This is a very proud and big club, one of the biggest clubs in Sydney. You probably don’t realise it until you look a little deeper about how big the area is and how big the club is and how much success we have had.

“It would be nice to get back to those days. We had a bit of a history lesson on the club today. We watched the success the club had through the 1980s and then the grand finals we made and won in the 1990s, then the same in 2004, then a couple of grand finals under Des Hasler.

“Canterbury has been a very successful club for a long time. The club has a hell of a lot of history. It is important the players and staff know that.

“The video started when the club was founded right through the Berries and the club’s eight premierships. The more the players know about the club’s history the better. You could use the video as a recruitment tool as well.”

Barrett was due to begin as coach next Monday but decided to kick off seven days early. While he arrives having just guided Penrith to a grand final as the attacking coach, he is aware lifting the 15th placed Bulldogs will be his greatest challenge.

Trent Barrett on his first day at Canterbury.
Trent Barrett on his first day at Canterbury.
“We have some work to do and the club is not happy where we finished this year. The goal is to get better. I think we have a talented squad,” he said.

“It’s a new season and our job is to get in there and improve the players and improve our performances.

“It’s a short pre-season. We only have a five-week block before Christmas so it is really important we don’t waste a session.

“The club did lose a lot of close games last season and there are areas we have identified as coaches where we need to get better.

“We will go in with an open mind and to coach the players the best we can and get them as fit as we can.

“There are some blokes that we don’t know a hell of a lot about given there was no Canterbury Cup this year which was difficult. We are hoping there might be a few surprises there and a few players that jump out of the ground. It was good to get all the staff together today. We will now spend the week planning and getting ready for next Monday when the boys come back.”

Kyle Flanagan will be at the Bulldogs in 2021.
Kyle Flanagan will be at the Bulldogs in 2021.
Canterbury has secured Kyle Flanagan, Nick Cotric, Jack Hetherington and Corey Waddell for next season while continuing to talk with Panthers half Matt Burton.

While he still has another year to run at Penrith, Canterbury is monitoring the future of Panthers and NSW centre Stephen Crichton. Blues and Penrith teammate Isaah Yeo is another player Barrett is closely watching.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great to see he is keen to rip in and get started. He does have a big job ahead of him but he is starting off on the front foot and attacking the challenges he is facing to rebuild our club. Hopefully we can all be proud of our performances next year

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing that new hear but really pleasing to continue to hear him say “us” and “we”.

I also like the emphasis on planning, I think that is crucial as we looked a lot like we didn’t have one last year and the lack of contingency planning in particular really concerned me.

Definitely feel we’re heading in the right direction.

“In Baz, I trust”!

For the moment anyway ;)

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tbaz just keeps impressing this is where all that Bulldogs DNA stuff is bullshit. Just look at how quickly that someone from outside the club can buy into what the club is all about.
Exactly, DNA in its literal form is biological. In so far as the history of the Bulldogs is concerned "DNA" is the thoughts and feelings between the right ear and the left ear. It is the reason as a player you make that extra effort, put in that bit more.

No question Hansen is a factor behind this, he has mentioned the winning history and culture of the club every time he's been interviewed. He made a big deal of AB history when he was their head coach.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice read. Always good to look at the past and understand how successful we were as a club. But it's important to understand we need to move with the times and bring a new success, this is where the previous administration failed thinking they could take us back to the past. Looking forward to seeing updates on the pre-season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbaz just keeps impressing this is where all that Bulldogs DNA stuff is bullshit. Just look at how quickly that someone from outside the club can buy into what the club is all about.
Everything he has said and done thus far has been impressive. He just keeps saying amd doing all of the right things.
Even more important then having an outsider "buy in", is convincing our loyal, but unconvinced, fans that they need to buy in as well. They need to drop all of the negativity and be excited about what the future holds, while also remembering just how successful we have been, and for how long. We are in the best position we have been in a very, very long time.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing that new hear but really pleasing to continue to hear him say “us” and “we”.

I also like the emphasis on planning, I think that is crucial as we looked a lot like we didn’t have one last year and the lack of contingency planning in particular really concerned me.

“In Baz, I trust”!

For the moment anyway ;)
Actually there was one new and very significant thing to read here, and this is the fact that he started work a week earlier then requested. This is massive!!! He could very easily have continued to enjoy a holiday with his family, especially after such a long and difficult year. But instead he was hard at work preparing and planning for another long season. Preparing to mKe us a force to be recconned with again!
This can not be understated imo, and it has not been mentioned until now. Obviously we all knew that he was at work yesterday, but i dont think any of us know that he wasnt actually due to report for work until next week.
WELL DONE BAZ!! YOU THE MAN!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barrett's communication skills and charisma to sell the club to players while being media friendly is a stark contrast to the way things have been done at this club for decades now.

I was excited about Barrett when we were first linked with him for this reason and for his attacking, progressive tactics.

A month ago every pundit was telling Barrett to back out of the deal, now it's all positive press and optimism around the club. It goes to show how quickly the perception of the club can change in this fickle, hot take, overreactionary media age.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love Trent Barrett's approach, restoring pride in the club and our jersey is only step one on our way back to Premiership Glory. Us older members here on the Kennel remember the days our glory days and the taste of success that followed, while our younger fans listen intently to the stories told to them and search the web for every scrap of footage they can find.

Now with Barrett in charge I hope for all our members and fans that he can create another Premiership window for us, so we can lift those banners, fly those flags, fill the stadiums and maybe WIN a long awaited Premiership or two. Go Doggies, we're behind you Trent 110%.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand your thought process but its really just interpretation. The Bulldog DNA pushed along the last couple of years was looked at by many as `if you dont have a Dog past or relo connection you dont have Dogs DNA.

This is just bullshit because the real message is to "buy into" the Bulldog spirit/hunger/success of our successful years in the past. It doesn't literally mean to train and play like that era which is exactly what Hansen would have educated Barrett on when he got a look into the AllBlacks.

Every AllBlack is acutely aware of the deeds of those who wore the jersey before them and wants to do their best to live up to or better the standard set. Their culture and respect for the jersey is paramount and anyone that doesn't 100% buy into it is quickly moved on.

If this is the standard they set for the Bulldogs then we are definitely on the right track.

Malla

Reaction score

“In Baz, I trust”!

For the moment anyway ;)
Yeah small things like that make a difference. Especially as a coach and leader of the team.

I don't want to bring Pay back into this because he is the past, but every time something went right you only heard 'I' or 'Me' out of his mouth. Memory that sticks with me is after our win against Dragons early in the season he harped on about the 'changes I made to the team' and 'I put DWZ back on the wing' bla bla.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Actually there was one new and very significant thing to read here, and this is the fact that he started work a week earlier then requested. This is massive!!! He could very easily have continued to enjoy a holiday with his family, especially after such a long and difficult year. But instead he was hard at work preparing and planning for another long season. Preparing to mKe us a force to be recconned with again!
This can not be understated imo, and it has not been mentioned until now. Obviously we all knew that he was at work yesterday, but i dont think any of us know that he wasnt actually due to report for work until next week.
WELL DONE BAZ!! YOU THE MAN!!!
100%!!!! Baz is rarin’ to go