New rule

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game. But this sounds like another great way to rort the fuck out of a game. At the refs discretion now, they can reward a penalty from say thirty out from your line because a player is in front of the kicker, regardless of if they're involved in play or not.

To my way of thinking a team that's playing well can now basically be treated as if they're kicking every kick out on the full. Let's say a team scores a long range try from a kick. We'll say a player was treated for injury and is trying to get behind the kicker, they'll now be able to over rule that try based on a player that wasn't remotely involved.

I'd like to see a positive in any of the rule changes of the last 15 or so years. But for the most part they've made clear cut rules into refs interpretation bullshit that goes whichever way the ref feels like.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s meant to stop all the forwards standing in front of the play the ball blocking people putting pressure on the kicker. Then once the kick is done they start chasing and smashing the back.

I think only time they can be run on side is if the kicker runs past them? Then they can engage in the play again? Not sure if I made that up or not but I’m sure I heard it somewhere.

The one called against the sharks was a bit head scratching considering they kicked the ball out. But I guess a few players engaged the play?
You‘re correct. Once the kicker runs past his players who were in front of him, they are onside. They also become onside if they are outside the 10 metres and the player in attempting to catch the ball loses control of it and it hits the ground. However in this era, coaches ensure the kicker can’t do that by making sure he is pressured to the point where he is taken slightly late or hindered and consequently out of play.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Willie Mason used to do this a lot, start jogging ahead before the ball is even kicked.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought it was even if you’re not involved you’re still offside and they blow penalty.
No. You can be offside, but have to stand your ground. If you chase the ball, it is a penalty no matter how far away from the ball carrier you are.

The other rule is that players cannot move in front of their kicker to prevent a marker from getting to him.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shit rule change, not a fan.
If you played the ball, difficult to be onside unless the defence puts zero pressure on the kicker and he can advance 5m+ before kicking the ball..

Go back to giving them 10m running space if offside.. makes much more sense.
My understanding - Player playing the ball and dummy half cant move forward until the ball is kicked - they are the ruck basically

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still don't get why we were penalised for down town. When the ball was played every single one of our players was behind the ruck, and the long pass was centre field to (Sexton?) for the kick, with no one standing in front of him. From memory the name called out as giving away the penalty was on the far side of the ruck.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did anyone like the new penalty rule?
Still don’t know how it works staying behind the kicker even if you’re not in the play.
It's fucking rediculous. What if the ball is passed to the kicker, but he fumbles and the ball goes backwards, but by the time he regather and kicks the whole team is offside?? Why fuck with something that doesn't need fixing? And of course the fox commentators gobble it up and find a way to make it look like a good thing.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’ll make the big boys work harder, no more cheap metres in defence.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember there was talk of a "downtown" rule change >25 years ago.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you’re in front of the play the ball before the kicked ball passes over you it is a penalty… I think from the point of the play the ball. If you’re behind the play the ball it’s the 10m as per normal.

I don’t think it’s a bad rule as it stops teams getting a head start on the chase. Going to be a bastard to police though and open to inconsistency.