New rule

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone like the new penalty rule?
Still don’t know how it works staying behind the kicker even if you’re not in the play.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did anyone like the new penalty rule?
Still don’t know how it works staying behind the kicker even if you’re not in the play.
If you're infront of the play the ball then you can't get involved with the play. They just tweaked it so you pretty much can't be involved in the kick chase now whereas before it was only really called if you made a tackle. I think that's whats changed.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you're infront of the play the ball then you can't get involved with the play. They just tweaked it so you pretty much can't be involved in the kick chase now whereas before it was only really called if you made a tackle. I think that's whats changed.
I thought it was even if you’re not involved you’re still offside and they blow penalty.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s meant to stop them walking 15m down the field before the ball is kicked I assume. Giving the receiving side more room to run and to stop the forwards getting a bludge

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s meant to stop them walking 15m down the field before the ball is kicked I assume. Giving the receiving side more room to run and to stop the forwards getting a bludge
That makes sense, finally a good change by the NRL.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So no 10 meters rule now, You can only chase if you’re behind the kicker is that correct?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So no 10 meters rule now, You can only chase if you’re behind the kicker is that correct?
Yeah I’m not really sure, it’s still confusing even when the commentators explained haha. This won’t last past round 10 surely

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep except the penalty is given from where the ball is kicked if the penalty is against the bulldogs, and only from where the fullback catches it if the penalty is against the sharks. Apparently
They're two different infringements. The Sharks chasers were Infront of the kicker, not infront of the play the ball.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep except the penalty is given from where the ball is kicked if the penalty is against the bulldogs, and only from where the fullback catches it if the penalty is against the sharks. Apparently
Oh I didn’t even realise this.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s meant to stop all the forwards standing in front of the play the ball blocking people putting pressure on the kicker. Then once the kick is done they start chasing and smashing the back.

I think only time they can be run on side is if the kicker runs past them? Then they can engage in the play again? Not sure if I made that up or not but I’m sure I heard it somewhere.

The one called against the sharks was a bit head scratching considering they kicked the ball out. But I guess a few players engaged the play?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shit rule change, not a fan.
If you played the ball, difficult to be onside unless the defence puts zero pressure on the kicker and he can advance 5m+ before kicking the ball..

Go back to giving them 10m running space if offside.. makes much more sense.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s meant to stop all the forwards standing in front of the play the ball blocking people putting pressure on the kicker. Then once the kick is done they start chasing and smashing the back.

I think only time they can be run on side is if the kicker runs past them? Then they can engage in the play again? Not sure if I made that up or not but I’m sure I heard it somewhere.

The one called against the sharks was a bit head scratching considering they kicked the ball out. But I guess a few players engaged the play?
Now I’m more confused lol.
So the kicker has to be in front of everyone putting them on side?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game. But this sounds like another great way to rort the fuck out of a game. At the refs discretion now, they can reward a penalty from say thirty out from your line because a player is in front of the kicker, regardless of if they're involved in play or not.

To my way of thinking a team that's playing well can now basically be treated as if they're kicking every kick out on the full. Let's say a team scores a long range try from a kick. We'll say a player was treated for injury and is trying to get behind the kicker, they'll now be able to over rule that try based on a player that wasn't remotely involved.

I'd like to see a positive in any of the rule changes of the last 15 or so years. But for the most part they've made clear cut rules into refs interpretation bullshit that goes whichever way the ref feels like.