Most underrated dogs player ever

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Papa Joe's "Most Underrated Player" Of The Day

MARK BUGDEN - Premiership Player 1984, 1985,1988 - Grand Finalist 1986
In the year that he started his Bulldogs career coming over from the Jets, Mark went on to oust regular club hooker Billy Johnstone in 1984 to become the Grand Final Hero by scoring a fine solo try when the Bulldogs beat Parramatta 6-4 to claim premiership glory.

In 1985, Mark served a 14 week suspension and failed to re claim the starting hooker position from Billy Johnstone but did come on as a replacement in the Grand Final to delivery the dummy half pass to Steve Mortimer for what turned out to be the winning field goal & a 7-6 final score.

In 1986 he was the Dogs 1st choice hooker & ended up going head to head against his brother & Eels Hooker Geoff who got the better of him as the Eels won 4-2.

In 1988 Mark again came on as a replacement in the Bulldogs 4th Grand Final win of the 80's and remarkably he won his 3rd premiership in 5 years.

In 1989 Mark left to play 22 games for the Eels over 2 years in a not so successful stint.

Tough, No Nonsense & Uncompromising with a touch of craft to his work - Mark opitimised the sense of what a Bulldog is.

However he quiet often he gets left out in the conversations of reflect when looking back at our greatest ever era.

And that's why today Mark Bugden Is my "Most Underrated Player".
Yep he was tuff in a tuff era!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has to be Sandy Campbell or Steve O'Brien (I swear Andre Agassi copied Steve's style during his career until he could no longer! That's how good Steve was!! :tearsofjoy: )

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jamahl Edward Lolesi
Probably the unluckiest player from our 2004 premiership year to miss out on the GF due to injury late in the season along side Steve Price.

He absolutely killed it that season and in many respects, the somewhat forgotten man who contributed immensely to our premiership campaign.

If memory serves me correctly, I think he only spent the one or maybe two seasons with us that I was filthy about.

He came to us from the Raiders where he played mainly as a winger and I initially questioned his signing. But he absolutely blitz it in the centres and then went to ESL if I recall, way way to soon.
I was only young but I still vividly remember him playing for us and playing well, always found it weird that he never cops a mention anywhere.
Yep he was great, I always recall the anniversay match in 2004 against Penrith where he had strong game. I believe he ended up in Huddersfield.
Bulldogs Podcast

Always a Bulldog

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone who says Corey Waddell can go right ahead and deactivate your account now.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Adam Perry and Ben Harris.

Adam Perry - always first guy in tackle front on and high. None of this tolman around the legs shit.

Benny Harris - gun centre. Hard to get around and good finisher.

On another note - I disliked corey hughes at the time but looking back his service from dh was excellent.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised no one has commented on him , but for me Josh Reynolds is highly underrated . The bloke bought a lot to the team both on and off the field . We haven't been successful since he left. He was a heartbeat and a constant in the spine in our last period of success 2012-2015

Last edited:

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Without a doubt or any hesitation, Jamie Feeney. Even Polly, who played with him agreed with me on this. Gave his all every week.

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pollamounter
Ben Harris - could have been anything but he did his own thing.
Jason Williams - great winger and what a stepper
Simon Gillies and Polly - both looked dead some games but jumped and kept competing.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's the General hands down. The man!
You bastards did get me thinking about gillies offloads to rocket rod back in the day. Just beautiful

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the General hands down. The man!
You bastards did get me thinking about gillies offloads to rocket rod back in the day. Just beautiful
I actually thought Patten was afforded way too much time in the fullback role and couldn't wait for Hazem and Trent Cutler to replace him.

Never seen a fullback so out of position on so many occassions.