News Moses Mbye asks for permission to leave Wests Tigers

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Moses Mbye asks for permission to leave Wests Tigers

Moses Mbye is happy to abandon his big-money deal with the Tigers so he can find a club that actually wants him out on the field.

James Matthey
jamesmatthey

MARCH 31, 20217:39PM

Moses Mbye wants out of the Wests Tigers, seeking permission to explore his options elsewhere in search of more minutes at a new club next season.
The Sydney Morning Heraldreported the Tigers utility has approached the club about leaving at the end of the year, rather than waiting for his big-money deal to run out at the end of 2022, in the hope of finding a new team that will have more use for him.

Mbye arrived at Concord in 2018 and has played fullback, hooker, in the centres, in the halves and come off the bench during a stint that has seen the 27-year-old’s career stall as the Tigers continued to miss out on finals action.

He played five-eighth in the season-opener against Canberra, but was squeezed out of the starting 13 when Adam Doueihi returned from suspension to wear the No. 6 jersey against the Roosters.

Mbye came off the bench again in the Tigers’ first win of the year against Newcastle on Sunday, and is aware the team isn’t getting bang for its buck.
However, if he can’t find another home, Mbye is happy to continue representing the Tigers in 2022, and made it clear he has no problem with the club or its treatment of him.

“Let’s be brutally honest, I don’t think the club would be thrilled that their marquee player is being used off the bench for half an hour a week,” Mbye told the Herald. “I’m not ashamed to admit that the club is not getting value for money out of me. I have a big opinion of the club and want to be part of its success. It’s why I have no intention of leaving this year or leaving the club in a hole.

“But I know this opportunity can benefit the club as well as myself and it may work out a win-win situation for both parties. I get the opportunity to look around and find a club that wants me to play more minutes, and potentially even another year on top of my deal.”

Mbye is struggling for regular game time.

Mbye is struggling for regular game time.Source:Getty Images

The Tigers released a statement on Wednesday night, saying: “Moses Mbye has been granted permission to discuss his playing future with other clubs from the 2022 NRL season.

“Mbye, who is currently under contract at Wests Tigers until the end of 2022, has not asked for a request to be released from his contract.

“Moses has expressed his firm commitment to the club and its playing group for the 2021 season, with the request to discuss his playing future pertaining to his preference to secure a long-term deal elsewhere.

“Moses remains an integral part of the club’s squad for the 2021 season and the club has reiterated its position that his significance remains as such following this move.”

Mbye was brought to Concord on a four-year deal by Ivan Cleary, worth approximately $3 million, then became Tigers captain when Michael Maguire took the reins. However, the former Queensland Origin star — who played three games for the Maroons in 2019 — stood down from the captaincy at the end of last season.

It’s been reported Mbye is set to earn $800,000 if he stays in black and orange next year, and the Tigers may be prepared to pay part of his salary if he is able to find a new suitor for 2022.

Mbye has played 138 NRL games, debuting for the Bulldogs in 2014 before leaving Canterbury four years later.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We'll have Burton in 2022. Why do we want to tie up salary cap money on a player we were happy to let go, and one who isn't wanted at his present club?

I doubt bringing Mbye back will somehow inspire him to play like a star.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moses Mbye asks for permission to leave Wests Tigers
Mbye, who is currently under contract at Wests Tigers until the end of 2022, has not asked for a request to be released from his contract
We need a national day on which to mourn the death of accurate headlines

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No

No

and

No

Didn't read the article but the answer to the obvious question that will arise from this article is No.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a no from me also.
But I do wish him all the best.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but if Cowboys sign Adam Reynolds as their 7, then maybe Mbye at 6 for them isn't such a bad idea at the right price.
1. Holmes
6. Mbye
7. Reynolds
9. Robson
Could work for them

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I reckon Des will take him back. He loves his favourites and is delusional enough to waste money to do it and to think that Mbye actually offers something.
Not a bad reserve option to have when Tommy T gets injured I guess

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but if Cowboys sign Adam Reynolds as their 7, then maybe Mbye at 6 for them isn't such a bad idea at the right price.
1. Holmes
6. Mbye
7. Reynolds
9. Robson
Could work for them
Bro, you could pair him with Thurston and he'd still flop. He's just not a footballer....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bro, you could pair him with Thurston and he'd still flop. He's just not a footballer....
That's true, but Adams kicking game and organising is one of the best in the game. Mbye won't get an easier option... This has probably come out of the blue as his manager and Moses are praying Roosters take him on for the rest of the season lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just find it sad that he considers himself a marquee player. The only aspect of this is that a desperate coach threw a hail mary hoping that he'd perform and overpaid him. His performances have never screamed (or whispered) marquee to me. The other big thing I saw that made me feel some pity for him is that he's hoping that changing clubs will mean he gets a one year extension.

He won the lottery with the contract he's on. Sounds like he's hoping another desperate club will throw another hail mary and assume they can get him to play better than he's shown thus far. He's a decent runner of the ball but lazy as a koala.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think it’s the ESL for Moses, I can’t see any NRL team signing him for a starting role. At best he is a 14, and wouldn’t even be first choice 14 in many teams. He could offer one of the less fancied SL teams some value given the Tigers will need to pay bulk of his contract.