Opinion Montoya

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As crazy as this sounds I would play Lewis in the centres. at least we would be better in defence. Our attack is crap regardless of who we put in there.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The way I read it is ‘more time’ is mostly about juniors being regularly ready to push through into grade - that will take more time. That’s largely Pricey’s focus.

We won’t solve all the issues for 2021 but 2-3 quality signings to add to Thompson will help massively. There are offers out now and it’s on them to close.

If they can achieve the above and get a sponsor onboard for next year that might be a pass mark depending on what else they set out to accomplish beyond 2021 and how they communicate it.

If they fail on the above, not difficult to suggest how it will likely end. I personally hope that for the good of the club it doesn’t come to that.
As Spoonman said, if they spent limited funds more wisely on keepers rather than players like Napa we can't wait to see leave then maybe we wouldn't have as many holes by now.

I think we need at least six quality signings. And that's achievable with up to $4 million to spend by getting a mix of experience and youth. Either way, I agree that there are no more excuses if they spend the money poorly.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As Spoonman said, if they spent limited funds more wisely on keepers rather than players like Napa we can't wait to see leave then maybe we wouldn't have as many holes by now.

I think we need at least six quality signings. And that's achievable with up to $4 million to spend by getting a mix of experience and youth. Either way, I agree that there are no more excuses if they spend the money poorly.

Plenty of players have come in and out the squad since they took over

Nathan Brown was on triple m saying generally your best 5 players take up 40%? of the cap. My numbers might be off but it was interesting. Means for us lots was tied up in deadweight compared to what the other clubs were spending on their top tier players.

With the roster turnover at the rest of the nrl clubs and the players sitting outside top squads we should have much better talent on deck

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other teams have been signing players to fill out their squad throughout the season and our club didn't address the holes in the backline in the offseason.

To answer your question I'd rather Harper there short term. If Averillo passed his protocols which it sounds like he did, then they should have played him.

Also, they should have made Schoup and/or Katoa eligible as development players to be called up once Okunbur was de-registered.

But instead Pay persists with Holland, Montoya and Crichton for three seasons. All of them are Reserve Graders and always have been.
Agree 1000%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah I was never particularly happy with signing Napa but everyone has the benefit of hindsight. Every club has stories of buyers regret.

I agree that the money has to be spent wisely. There’s 11 spots to fill of which I think probably 4 will be retentions and maybe a junior promotion or 2 so 5-6 spots. Not all of them will be superstars but as long as they represent some quality and value, that’s what’s key. Then further refinements will be made annually after that with new junior crops coming through.

If done well we hopefully can be playing finals footy again as soon as next year.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what the FUCK is this slow ass clown doing anywhere near our team? Surely we have better options like a JMK or someone lol

I expect him to be the slowest back in the comp by far after this latest injury.

Looking at how many outside backs swapped clubs over the off season, and the ones sitting outside their squads why couldn't we get someone else?
It just shows us the level of desperation we as a club,have reached,hasn’t played in 12 months,and comes straight back against souths of all teams,but guess what jmk still there also,and Tolman,with nothing to loose as our seasons a write of,opportunity for some the young guys

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The squad is the worse or close to the worse in the comp - add to that the development players with maybe one exception are not the better players from 2019 Flegg or SGBall squads.
Could you give us more details. More politics involved?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tass is gone for the year with a injury while Harding and Winters-Chang should have never been given development deals. Harding was average in Flegg and Winters-Chang spent the majority of last season with Moorebank. Both of them would struggle in reserve grade let alone NRL. Katoa is probably the closest to NRL out of that bunch and he’s a winger.
Well that fixes that then. Why oh why have players who are not even considered solid enough in the development squad? Poor form all round from the club and they probably offered the development contracts to keep the players they felt might be worth while. Roumanos and Doorey are on development and at least from what I have seen of them they go okay and would benefit from higher grade experience. I believe from what I have read that Matt Frawley is on a development contract with the Raiders in lieu of a young up and comer. As ordinary as he can be he has at least had experience.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well that fixes that then. Why oh why have players who are not even considered solid enough in the development squad? Poor form all round from the club and they probably offered the development contracts to keep the players they felt might be worth while. Roumanos and Doorey are on development and at least from what I have seen of them they go okay and would benefit from higher grade experience. I believe from what I have read that Matt Frawley is on a development contract with the Raiders in lieu of a young up and comer. As ordinary as he can be he has at least had experience.
The development contracts have been a mystery for a few years the club has made some very surprising choices that are completely unexplainable. Roumanos and Doorey are the type of players these types of deals should be used on so at least there’s a couple there. I’m not sure if there’s any regulations around the development contracts having to be used on up and coming players I think if someone is willing to get paid $60k you can use them on whoever you want. It looks like Frawley was willing to accept that.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The development contracts have been a mystery for a few years the club has made some very surprising choices that are completely unexplainable. Roumanos and Doorey are the type of players these types of deals should be used on so at least there’s a couple there. I’m not sure if there’s any regulations around the development contracts having to be used on up and coming players I think if someone is willing to get paid $60k you can use them on whoever you want. It looks like Frawley was willing to accept that.
Yep jai field for eels is on one too..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I was never particularly happy with signing Napa but everyone has the benefit of hindsight. Every club has stories of buyers regret.

I agree that the money has to be spent wisely. There’s 11 spots to fill of which I think probably 4 will be retentions and maybe a junior promotion or 2 so 5-6 spots. Not all of them will be superstars but as long as they represent some quality and value, that’s what’s key. Then further refinements will be made annually after that with new junior crops coming through.

If done well we hopefully can be playing finals footy again as soon as next year.
I agree with everything except for Napa. No hindsight was needed on that one. I hated the signing from the get go, especially at that price and for three years and unfortunately it backfired like I thought it would. Anyway, what's done is done. At least it's another 550-600k to spend for 2022!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He actually looked pretty buff in the pics i saw will be interesting to see if he’s improved

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could you give us more details. More politics involved?
My understanding, based on second hand info was it's all to do with poor recruitment. The club got stuck with players who are never going to play first grade. Last year players like saddler and Jared Anderson were on similar contracts. It meant that opportunities s to contract players like Tommy Talau became limited or non existent. The recruiter is no longer with the club. It's all part of the dismal talent identification recruitment salary cap mismanagement the consequences continue for this year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with everything except for Napa. No hindsight was needed on that one. I hated the signing from the get go, especially at that price and for three years and unfortunately it backfired like I thought it would. Anyway, what's done is done. At least it's another 550-600k to spend for 2022!
Fair call on Papi :-)
Not sure on the salary - I know ZT has a figure but I’d like to think he’s on less than that, he was always second string.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My understanding, based on second hand info was it's all to do with poor recruitment. The club got stuck with players who are never going to play first grade. Last year players like saddler and Jared Anderson were on similar contracts. It meant that opportunities s to contract players like Tommy Talau became limited or non existent. The recruiter is no longer with the club. It's all part of the dismal talent identification recruitment salary cap mismanagement the consequences continue for this year.
I think Saddler is over at Manly now.

Anyone got any info on Mark Hughes. He was supposed to be a really good appointment for us.

And how is the North Coast association going? Bloody bat eaters stuffed up heaps.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Anyone got any info on Mark Hughes. He was supposed to be a really good appointment for us.

And how is the North Coast association going? Bloody bat eaters stuffed up heaps.
Saddler is at Manly, Mark Hughes was very active in attending junior rep games early this year. Difficult job with no games being played.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As crazy as this sounds I would play Lewis in the centres. at least we would be better in defence. Our attack is crap regardless of who we put in there.
When he was being considered for first grade that is exactly where he was playing. At least he doesn't have to steer the team around from that spot but his defence has been off of late.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The game that was supposed to be played in Forster?Tuncurry between the U23 rep side and the Dogs Canterbury cup side got washed out. Once COVID hit everything came to a grinding halt so no more footy from the Mid coast Bulldogs sides. The Laurie Daley cup (2 wins from 3 games ) and the Andrew Johns cup (3 wins from 5 games) got canned.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The game that was supposed to be played in Forster?Tuncurry between the U23 rep side and the Dogs Canterbury cup side got washed out. Once COVID hit everything came to a grinding halt so no more footy from the Mid coast Bulldogs sides. The Laurie Daley cup (2 wins from 3 games ) and the Andrew Johns cup (3 wins from 5 games) got canned.
Thanks Dogluva. Knew the comp had finished due to C19 but was wondering if there was feedback on any prospects and whether the locals felt it was beneficial to them as well.
Will it be a successful partnership for both parties and will we get some good players out of it :grinning:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope he scores a hatrick and gets mom tbh haha