Opinion Montoya

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Montoya forgot about that flog I said it the other day dean pay wants to be sacked he has a month these stupid selections and results will only push the board to turf him have faith to be honest i dont think he accept a extension

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Montoya sadly offers nothing. I presume the only reason he is in the Top 30 is because he's a local junior.
Have you even considered the fact that there is no one else worth trying.
The only player I would consider as a centre would be Lachlan Lewis.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
James Roberts has be awful since going to Souths but he'll probably look world class on Sunday night.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Only three more games to go of this shit.............,,apparently

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What do you mean? A back five made up entirely of wingers is a genius tactic that the master overachiever came up with that will revolutionise the game!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have you even considered the fact that there is no one else worth trying.
The only player I would consider as a centre would be Lachlan Lewis.
Have you considered that it's a joke that these issues weren't addressed in the offseason?

Instead they signed more fringe first grade forwards in the few positions we had depth in. Go figure..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What do you mean? A back five made up entirely of wingers is a genius tactic that the master overachiever came up with that will revolutionise the game!
Who else is there Ben?
Particularly with Hoppa/Averillo injured?
Look at the list of 30 and what would you do, taking into account Holland’s shocker last weekend?
Bringing Montoya in after a year and with no lower grades is fraught with danger but who else is there?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who else is there Ben?
Particularly with Hoppa/Averillo injured?
Look at the list of 30 and what would you do, taking into account Holland’s shocker last weekend?
Bringing Montoya in after a year and with no lower grades is fraught with danger but who else is there?
Other teams have been signing players to fill out their squad throughout the season and our club didn't address the holes in the backline in the offseason.

To answer your question I'd rather Harper there short term. If Averillo passed his protocols which it sounds like he did, then they should have played him.

Also, they should have made Schoup and/or Katoa eligible as development players to be called up once Okunbur was de-registered.

But instead Pay persists with Holland, Montoya and Crichton for three seasons. All of them are Reserve Graders and always have been.

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the roster including the Canterbury Cup players. Lewis has played centre but not his preferred position, Smith injured along with Hoppa. We are extremely thin in the backs so options are limited.
Those who can play in the backs ( other than the halves) are highlighted
Adam Elliott, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham, Chris Smith, Christian Crichton, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Dean Britt, Dylan Napa, Isaiah Tass, Jack Cogger, Jake Averillo, Jeremy Marshall-King, Joe Stimson, Josh Jackson, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Marcelo Montoya, Morgan Harper, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga, Sauaso Sue, Sione Katoa, Will Hopoate Luke Thompson.

Development squad
Tui Katoa ( Winger) , Matt Doorey ( 2nd row), James Roumanos ( 2nd row) , Tyrone Harding ( winger) , Sebastian Winters-Chang ( Centre) .
I haven’t been following junior grades so I’m not sure if any of the development players are potential first graders but since it’s past June 30, couldn’t any of them play? Or Tass? Montoya is coming off the back of a serious injury and well he wasn’t exactly a world beater before, plus the season’s already a write-off so why not bring in a rookie?
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Harper
4. Tass/Katoa/Harding/Winters-Chang
5. Smith

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been following junior grades so I’m not sure if any of the development players are potential first graders but since it’s past June 30, couldn’t any of them play? Or Tass? Montoya is coming off the back of a serious injury and well he wasn’t exactly a world beater before, plus the season’s already a write-off so why not bring in a rookie?
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Harper
4. Tass/Katoa/Harding/Winters-Chang
5. Smith
Tass is gone for the year with a injury while Harding and Winters-Chang should have never been given development deals. Harding was average in Flegg and Winters-Chang spent the majority of last season with Moorebank. Both of them would struggle in reserve grade let alone NRL. Katoa is probably the closest to NRL out of that bunch and he’s a winger.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Atm to be honest.. Montoya is the best centre we have available...
Hoppa and averillo out, Tass injured. We don’t really have anyone else except for Harper, and I think Montoya can do a better job than Harper , he went decent at centre put on some big hits scored a couple tries, definately a better centre than winger. And holland after dropping 5 balls he doesn’t deserve it haha that was the worst performance I’ve seen in a long time.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Katoa Harding and winters chang aren’t even near nrl ready just yet

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tass is gone for the year with a injury while Harding and Winters-Chang should have never been given development deals. Harding was average in Flegg and Winters-Chang spent the majority of last season with Moorebank. Both of them would struggle in reserve grade let alone NRL. Katoa is probably the closest to NRL out of that bunch and he’s a winger.
Ah fair enough then. Shame about Tass as he seemed to have potential out of the lot. Only other option out of available players now would be:
1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Harper
4. Crichton
5. Smith
As I believe Crichton played centre for Penrith, not too sure but yeah there really isn’t much depth. I’d prefer Harper over Montoya and Holland because even though he’s leaving end of the season, Montoya and Holland shouldn’t be in the plans for next season either, so if they can be selected, it doesn’t justify leaving him out imo.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Other teams have been signing players to fill out their squad throughout the season and our club didn't address the holes in the backline in the offseason.

To answer your question I'd rather Harper there short term. If Averillo passed his protocols which it sounds like he did, then they should have played him.

Also, they should have made Schoup and/or Katoa eligible as development players to be called up once Okunbur was de-registered.

But instead Pay persists with Holland, Montoya and Crichton for three seasons. All of them are Reserve Graders and always have been.
Focusing on who we have...
For whatever reason Averillo is out.
Harper hasn’t shown much.
Katoa isn’t NRL ready.
Holland and Montoya highly likely are among those told they will not be here next year. It’s not like other clubs would be chasing them for us to nab anyone else. Yes, it’s an ordinary backline I don’t think anyone disputes that but slim pickings is the reality...

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Atm to be honest.. Montoya is the best centre we have available...
Hoppa and averillo out, Tass injured. We don’t really have anyone else except for Harper, and I think Montoya can do a better job than Harper , he went decent at centre put on some big hits scored a couple tries, definately a better centre than winger. And holland after dropping 5 balls he doesn’t deserve it haha that was the worst performance I’ve seen in a long time.
Well said mate. He’s literally the best we have available to fill the void this week and people still wanna have a whinge about his selection.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Focusing on who we have...
For whatever reason Averillo is out.
Harper hasn’t shown much.
Katoa isn’t NRL ready.
Holland and Montoya highly likely are among those told they will not be here next year. It’s not like other clubs would be chasing them for us to nab anyone else. Yes, it’s an ordinary backline I don’t think anyone disputes that but slim pickings is the reality...
It's definitely slim pickings. The point is the cupboard shouldn't have been so bare for three seasons. Even if they have to shop at Aldi due to cap problems they could have still come home with some milk and bread. Not magic beans that turn to shit.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well said mate. He’s literally the best we have available to fill the void this week and people still wanna have a whinge about his selection.
I think he will do good. Probably cement a spot at centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
James Roberts has be awful since going to Souths but he'll probably look world class on Sunday night.
He's a dirty pace whore, massive dumb **** of a player.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's definitely slim pickings. The point is the cupboard shouldn't have been so bare for three seasons. Even if they have to shop at Aldi due to cap problems they could have still come home with some milk and bread. Not magic beans that turn to shit.
The way I read it is ‘more time’ is mostly about juniors being regularly ready to push through into grade - that will take more time. That’s largely Pricey’s focus.

We won’t solve all the issues for 2021 but 2-3 quality signings to add to Thompson will help massively. There are offers out now and it’s on them to close.

If they can achieve the above and get a sponsor onboard for next year that might be a pass mark depending on what else they set out to accomplish beyond 2021 and how they communicate it.

If they fail on the above, not difficult to suggest how it will likely end. I personally hope that for the good of the club it doesn’t come to that.