Money talks as Idris walks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hickstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Joe Barton AAPTue, Apr 12, 2011 - 5:24 PM
http://nrl.com/money-talks-as-idris-walks/tabid/10874/newsid/62237/default.aspx

Desperate as they were to retain superstar centre Jamal Idris, the Bulldogs simply couldn't match the dollars on offer from the Gold Coast.

Idris' status as the NRL's most sought after player was confirmed on Tuesday when he accepted a five-year deal with the Titans rumoured to be worth in excess of $2 million.

Chief executive Todd Greenburg admitted it was simply money that would lead the outstanding 20-year-old out of Belmore at the end of the year.

"Just raw dollars (was the difference)," Greenburg told the media on Tuesday.

"The salary cap is there for a reason, it takes talent across the board and on this occasion we simply couldn't match it.

"Obviously as a club we're disappointed we couldn't retain Jamal, you never want to lose high-profile players, but we simply could not compete with the commercial terms on offer.

"I made it very clear from the outset that we wouldn't get into a bidding war for his services.

"I'll never put this club under pressure in relation to the adherence of the rules and procedures around the salary cap.

"Rugby league is big business and players are looking to maximise their earning capacity and why wouldn't they?

"I'm not so surprised, I think it was always going to be tough to keep someone like Jamal at the Bulldogs."

Greenburg insisted that it was not an issue of loyalty, or that Idris had let the Bulldogs down in any way.

"Loyalty has got nothing to do with this," he added.

"To me, rugby league loyalty is about within the terms of your contract and Jamal has been extremely loyal to this club over four years.

"He's given us nothing but wonderful service ... he needs to maximise his earning capacity."

The signing does open the door for the Bulldogs to attract a big name signing, with Greenburg admitting the club was still very keen to lure English international prop James Graham.

"We're interested, absolutely ... people have told me there's a deal that has beendone but that's not the case," Greenburg told AAP.

"We're still having discussions with his management but that may take some time.

"(Losing Idris) may (help us secure Graham), but they're not mutually exclusive."

Idris said he was now 100 per cent committed to delivering the Bulldogs a premiership this year.

"(My motivation) shouldn't be questioned at all," he said.

"I'm going to play as hard as I can, if not harder. I'm going to give it all I've got because at the end of the day these are my boys."

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I know we're an experienced prop short, but I think getting Graham won't get us closer to winning the comp.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"I made it very clear from the outset that we wouldn't get into a bidding war for his services.
I am very happy we took this approach. It would have been nice to keep Idris, but if we matched what the Titans offered we would have to be weak in more important positions.

Good luck to Jamal. As long as he rips in each week I wish him all the best. For a guy to earn that sort of coin at such a young age is an opportunity that no one here would knock back.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am very happy we took this approach. It would have been nice to keep Idris, but if we matched what the Titans offered we would have to be weak in more important positions.

Good luck to Jamal. As long as he rips in each week I wish him all the best. For a guy to earn that sort of coin at such a young age is an opportunity that no one here would knock back.
I have been reading all the replies since Indris leaving came out and didnt know what to post, I could have agreed with any number of posts from both sides of the fence,

Bry, I must say that this post of yours made me stop and think more than any others I have read, And its very hard to argue against it.

Good luck to him at the Titans, he is only young and will be what 25 when his contract runs out,
Whos to say we cant lure him back then as a better player.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
would be great to get graham, one of the best props in the world.

8 games this season - Tries:3, Meters:1367, Carries:187, Tackles:195, Offloads:11, Missed tackles:3, Errors:4, Penalties:5.

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
your boys u terd thats why you are leaving the club your boy s my arse.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Todd Greenberg is a class act

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenberg has it right. It would have created an imbalance to have so much money tied up in a player that is yet to live up to his full potential. It's good that we let him go with no hard feelings. He may decide to return one day.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really hate it when a player says "I'll play as hard as I can if not harder". Not just Idris, but in general makes me feel they don't put in 100% each time. I guess they are no different to us employed in the workforce, but it still peeves.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Incoming Ben Hannant syndrome.

Drop him to park footy for rest of year. Was clear from last two games he cares nothing for the team, and only for the money.

Besides now he has signed a big money contract who cares how bad he plays for Titans, but he'll play worse for us.

Dog indeed.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
*Just watched the Idri$ / Greenburg press conference. Very interesting that Greenburg stresses the commercial disadvantage of the CBB offer and Idri$ struggles to give a clear indication as to his preference of the GC contract.

*He is still awkward to watch in public speaking attempts IMO for someone who desires a career in the media

*Disclaimer: I am bitter.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't blame the kid for chasing the dollars.

I would do the same. Goodluck to him and hope he spends the money well.

Status
Not open for further replies.