Mollycoddled NRL players must be told one simple word: NO

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

1698031917153.png

NRL clubs have become so reluctant, even frightened, to tell star players ‘no’ because players now carry way too much power

The above is behind the Telecrap paywall.

The below is from news.com.au

Debate has erupted over NRL players being allowed to partake in other sporting tournaments,

Debate has erupted over high-paid NRL players being allowed to partake in other sporting tournaments, with former Aussie cricket captain Michael Clarke vigorously defending their right to do so.

Senior rugby league reporter Dean Ritchie penned a column in The Daily Telegraph claiming “now is the time for NRL clubs to reclaim control” and stop players from contesting in “unsanctioned” events such as the recent Koori Knockout tournament, or boxing bouts.

“Elite players contesting rival sports and unsanctioned tournaments during the off-season has to end. It’s absurd,” Ritchie wrote, adding that “mollycoddled” held too much power these days “because no one has ever told them no”.

Stars of the NRL including Josh Addo-Carr and Latrell Mitchell played in the 2023 edition of the Koori Knockout.

Addo-Carr, who is one of the Bulldogs’ most important players, was also at the centre of a brawl and admitted to being knocked out during a game.

Ritchie believes players shouldn’t be able to risk injuring themselves in off-season tournaments, or boxing bouts, when earning money from their respective clubs.

Josh Addo-Carr has had a turbulent few months. Pic: NRL Photos.

Josh Addo-Carr has had a turbulent few months. Pic: NRL Photos.

He explained that club powerbrokers should be able to have the final say on what games or fights players participate in, but Clarke wasn’t buying it.

The former Test captain pointed to international cricketers playing in their local grade competitions to continue their match fitness and hone their skills.

Ritchie argued that rugby league was a contact sport and the same rules don’t apply, but Clarke wasn’t having it.

“Should international cricketers go back and play club cricket when they are available? I think they should, so what’s the difference here?” Clarke asked on the Big Sports Breakfast on Monday morning.

“Lets just take cricket as a sport, do cricketers get injured? Forget the contact, they get injured doing their craft.

“So why wouldn’t Cricket Australia want Pat Cummins, why wouldn’t they want him to go back and play a game of club cricket for Penrith?”

Clarke also questioned why playing in the Koori Knockout wouldn’t be a positive, allowing players to represent their culture and keep their match fitness up.

Tevita Pangai Junior quit his NRL career to pursue boxing. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

Tevita Pangai Junior quit his NRL career to pursue boxing. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)

However, Ritchie believes targets are painted on the heads of big players in off-season games, which could lead to serious injuries and missing games come the NRL season.

“They go and play for their family and friends, they also get paid, paid quite handsomely to go and play these tournaments, there’s a financial incentive,” Ritchie said.

“I worry at those tournaments whether there is a bounty on their heads, lets go out there and have a whack at the big star who’s in town.

“Look at ‘the Foxx’, Addo-Carr ended up getting whacked around the head, played on and ended up getting into a fight. It’s hardly ideal.

“Even the protocols out there... the HIA protocols aren’t there, Josh Addo-Carr is an elite player and he got knocked out and played on.”

Instead of marquee players not playing in the Koori Knockout at all, Clarke made a practical suggestion, explaining the health protocols of the tournaments could be improved.

“I’d rather look at that, make sure the protocols are what they need to be instead of pulling players out of playing their sport,” Clarke explained.

“What this does for communities and rugby league in general... but you don’t want the big fish to play because they are getting paid a million bucks for their club teams?

Jason Taumalolo (right) fought on a recent boxing card with several other NRL stars. Picture: Robbie Bolton.

Jason Taumalolo (right) fought on a recent boxing card with several other NRL stars. Picture: Robbie Bolton.

“Club cricket is no different, you roll your ankle, play on the SCG and you don’t get a bump on that outfield.

“You go play on Pratten Park, you go to pick one up and it hits you in the nose. I’m just trying to compare it to other sports.

“I don’t think, I don’t ever think it is right to say don’t go and play in the competitions that growing up, got you to the top.

“I’m saying the opposite, if you need to improve conditions or make sure the rules are better for HIAs or whatever it is, go there.

“Don’t pull the athlete who needed these competitions to make it to the top, don’t do that.”

But Ritchie remained steadfast in his opinion and spoke from the point of view of NRL club bosses, whose players are risking injury and missing game time.

“I wonder if your next job was the CEO of an NRL club, you’d have the same stance,” Ritchie said.

“Well you want the truth ‘Bulldog’? Then I don’t want them to play State of Origin, I don’t want them to play for the Indigenous XIII,” Clarke replied.

“I don’t want them to play in any of these competitions because I’ll just worry about my own backyard, but that’s not how sport works.”

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL is all about player safety and minimising head contact yet contracted players given the go ahead to exchange blows to the head in a boxing ring during the off season.
On what planet does that make sense?
I wouldnt be surprised if the same players in years to come try and sue the NRL for brain injury.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL is all about player safety and minimising head contact yet contracted players given the go ahead to exchange blows to the head in a boxing ring during the off season.
I wouldnt be surprised if the same players in years to come try and sue the NRL for brain injury.
Player safety has always meant nothing in the NRL, it’s all about showmanship.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL aren't stupid. They let them box, they get a brain injury down the track and then they have to prove it was from the NRL games. They will respond by saying you get 100 times more whacks in the head by boxing....therefore it came from boxing. Bet you NRL would love every single player to box. It's a get out of jail card for the NRL.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i'm a bit torn on this topic TBH.

On the one hand, the league and even clubs shouldn't "own" players, and generally their spare time should be theirs (as I have enjoyed in my career when i was an employee). However, if they are going to engage in something that will potentially affect their employment then there is an issue. A lot of jobs place restrictions on what you can't do outside the workplace - for example, professional drivers or workers on mine sites need to be mindful of their drug and alcohol intake off the job, employees can usually be sacked if their side hustles are in competition to their employment, there are codes on social media etc.

What i don't get is: WHY. Why would a footy player, making good money, WANT to risk their careers by injuring themselves doing another sport, or playing in bush footy comp etc in their spare time?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith CEO said a couple weeks ago they don’t allow players to do other codes outside of NRL “we employ league players not boxers”.

It would be down to the individual and club decision negotiated into contracts.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
a lot of confusion regarding concussions on the rugby league field as to whether a player has had a head knock or not, but protocol states the player leaves the field to be assessed before being cleared to return of not cleared to return
in the boxing ring fighters are hit it the head far more times be it with a padded glove but there is still considerable forcible contact with the head, no review by ringside drs no assessments, sometimes a standing 10 count, more often a knockout or the referee stops the bout
i dont understand why players are allowed to step into the ring without headgear on,
i can see some merit in what dean ritchie is saying

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith CEO said a couple weeks ago they don’t allow players to do other codes outside of NRL “we employ league players not boxers”.

I agree it's up to the contract terms and if NRL players were forced to have it included as a standard clause, some, including some of the best ones, would baulk at signing IMO.

My main job doesn't get to control what I do with the rest of my life and NRL players are no different. Players sign contracts to deliver something in return for payment, not to be owned and controlled by clubs. On the other hand, I'd take any job paying me $150k or more a year pretty seriously and not do anything silly to jeopardise it. Most players will do the same so no need to force the issue.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Player safety has always meant nothing in the NRL, it’s all about showmanship.
I think the NRL are more concerned with being sued down the line. Data that wasnt there years ago, duty of care so to speak.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly the Koori Knockout is just low lives punching on, there is zero culture at this event. Its just a boozy, violent showcase of all that's wrong with that community.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Make them sign a waiver that they will never be legally entitled to sue or something because the Koori and boxing contribute to injuries.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and thats probably why the NrL allows it...
Null and void claims against them vs potential for a short term injury.

It's like they are buying insurance.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

No wonder they are at 3-peat and 4 GFs...
Professionally run club that is the boss of the players it employs.

Not afraid to lose a big name either.
They have put themselves in an envious position

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players want to earn coin and play in some koori compition, boo fucking hoo. A bit rich from some pig looking journo like crawley who's never kicked a ball in his life to have a dig

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For years current NRL players have played in Oztag, basketball comps, soccer comps etc.. Played different sport with other teammates during the week.. Gone surfing etc.. They're just as likely to get injured at training or working out then they are doing any of those things..

Boxing is a bigger concern due to potential head injuries, but players will participate in different activities in the offseason and during the season.. This isn't anything new..