Michael Potter announced as interim Head Coach of the Bulldogs...

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Steady appointment. I reckon Gus will be quite hands on in the selection of the team though. We need to know who is with us moving forward. Not a good position for Potter but if he gets a few wins he may throw his hat in the ring for other coaching gigs if they come up.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only permanent gig he would be offered is as an assistant, but don't get your hopes up.
i reckon he is more of hope - if things go okay of getting an assistant role somewhere else.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Michael Potter announced as interim Head Coach of the Bulldogs

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have today announced that Michael Potter will take over as interim Head Coach until the end of this season.

Potter, who is currently the Head Coach of the Mounties side in the NSW Cup, will move into the Bulldogs role immediately.

Potter, has a major history with the club, having been part of the Bulldogs' Premiership winning sides of 1984 and 1985.

He then made a successful transition into Head Coaching roles with the Catalan Dragons (2006-08), St Helens (2009-10), Bradford Bulls (2011-12) and the Wests Tigers (2013-14).

Bulldogs General Manager of Football, Phil Gould, was pleased to have someone of Potter's experience taking charge for the rest of the season:

"It is great to have a genuine legend returning to the club. Michael has extensive experience in the game and will bring a new voice and new ideas to our players.

We really appreciate Michael stepping up to help our club at this time."

Potter was excited about the opportunity to help the club through an important period :

"I'm very honoured to be back at the Bulldogs. I wish it were under different circumstances as I've known Trent for a long time and I really feel for him.

I will do what I can to help the club at this time."

Hoping it's the St Helens Mick Potter 49/68 rather than the Tigers version 17/48.

Always a Bulldog

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have today announced that Michael Potter will take over as interim Head Coach until the end of this season.

Potter, who is currently the Head Coach of the Mounties side in the NSW Cup, will move into the Bulldogs role immediately.

Potter, has a major history with the club, having been part of the Bulldogs' Premiership winning sides of 1984 and 1985.

He then made a successful transition into Head Coaching roles with the Catalan Dragons (2006-08), St Helens (2009-10), Bradford Bulls (2011-12) and the Wests Tigers (2013-14).

Bulldogs General Manager of Football, Phil Gould, was pleased to have someone of Potter's experience taking charge for the rest of the season:

"It is great to have a genuine legend returning to the club. Michael has extensive experience in the game and will bring a new voice and new ideas to our players.

Potter was excited about the opportunity to help the club through an important period :

"I'm very honoured to be back at the Bulldogs. I wish it were under different circumstances as I've known Trent for a long time and I really feel for him.

Hoping it's the St Helens Mick Potter 49/68 rather than the Tigers version 17/48.

Always a Bulldog
17/48…. I was terrible at maths , buts surely better than 5/34 under T Balls?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Does this mean Potter is Always a Bulldog ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't be worse than Baz. Hopefully he can inject some life into the team and get them playing with more effort and pride in the jersey. Playing more youngsters and dropping some of the dead weight will surely be the priority the rest of the season..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is absolutely no pressure on Potter, never any pressure on caretaker coaches when you take on the team coming last. It's not as if he has taken over while the team is in the 8 and the pressure is on to keep them there. Nothing to lose for Potter IMO.

The only way Potter will be considered as the coach for 2023 and beyond is if he dramatically turns us around and we make the 8. But I can't see that happening. Although funny things do happen.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably the best man for the job short term.

Only problem with Mick is though if he leads us to another wooden spoon it will likely end his head coaching aspirations. And if he does lead the team to a few wins he will still get replaced next season regardless.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoping just to see a back to basics approach. Even though we looked rudderless I think it may have been from overcoaching and players being confused with a complicated gameplan. Rugby league is a simple game, run hard, tackle hard, run up in support and play what you see and I feel we will do okay