Michael Potter announced as interim Head Coach of the Bulldogs...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Potters first and only gig as head coach was for the Wests Tigers for which he was swiftly sacked and shown the door by them. It’s ironic that his next first grade coach gig comes on the week he faces the club that sacked him, and is in charge of another basket case club ie US…
Potter's first head coaching gig was with Catalans in 2006, then St Helens where he had a 72% win rate and made the GF, then Bradford and then Tigers. He was there for 2 years, so not exactly "swiftly sacked" and in fact he wasn't sacked at all, he completed his 2 year contract and then wasn't renewed. That's better than the average coaching term of 1.7 years at the Tigers since Sheens left in 2012.

Judging someone on their results at the always factional in fighting Tigers is hardly fair.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Potters first and only gig as head coach was for the Wests Tigers for which he was swiftly sacked and shown the door by them. It’s ironic that his next first grade coach gig comes on the week he faces the club that sacked him, and is in charge of another basket case club ie US…
You really do live up to your username.

But other Kennelers have already corrected you.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good presser

He looks really relaxed so hopefully that rubs off onto the players and they enjoy their footy again
Very good point. He is so experienced that it's all just another coaching job to him and I like his mentality of just thinking that it's only for a short period.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter's first head coaching gig was with Catalans in 2006, then St Helens where he had a 72% win rate and made the GF, then Bradford and then Tigers. He was there for 2 years, so not exactly "swiftly sacked" and in fact he wasn't sacked at all, he completed his 2 year contract and then wasn't renewed. That's better than the average coaching term of 1.7 years at the Tigers since Sheens left in 2012.

Judging someone on their results at the always factional in fighting Tigers is hardly fair.

Always a Bulldog
I think you took my post out of context a fair bit there mate, which I kinda expected, it was actually meant to be a positive post in regards to Potter taking over the reigns with us. I know he coached in England, however I meant his first coaching gig in the NRL, I didn’t think I needed to state that but in future I will be more specific for you ok. I like the fact that we have appointed Potter as our interim head coach, I think an old head will be a good steadying influence on the team to get us through this rut.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you took my post out of context a fair bit there mate, which I kinda expected, it was actually meant to be a positive post in regards to Potter taking over the reigns with us. I know he coached in England, however I meant his first coaching gig in the NRL, I didn’t think I needed to state that but in future I will be more specific for you ok. I like the fact that we have appointed Potter as our interim head coach, I think an old head will be a good steadying influence on the team to get us through this rut.
Maybe go back and reread your post from the readers' perspective. You left out "NRL head coach" which is not a given, well not for me anyway and I suspect a few other readers. Using the descriptor "swiftly sacked" when it was neither "swift" nor was he "sacked" is also a bit of red flag to readers.

No problem though, it's often hard to get one's meaning across in a short post.

Always a Bulldog

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe go back and reread your post from the readers' perspective. You left out "NRL head coach" which is not a given, well not for me anyway and I suspect a few other readers. Using the descriptor "swiftly sacked" when it was neither "swift" nor was he "sacked" is also a bit of red flag to readers.

No problem though, it's often hard to get one's meaning across in a short post.

Always a Bulldog
True, two years is not exactly swift, nor could two years exactly be defined as a long coaching career neither, so I guess it just comes down to one’s interpretation! I just think you took me way way out of context but as you say, it’s no problem. I wasn’t trying to start an argument I assure you.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He just needs to win 3 games and/or avoid the spoon and he is justified to be better than baz
I don’t mind him. He’s got a calming influence. Won a premiership. Got plenty of FG experience. Bulldogs DNA. Ticks the boxes. Good for right now. See how it pans out. If he strings together consistency and wins who knows.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don’t mind him. He’s got a calming influence. Won a premiership. Got plenty of FG experience. Bulldogs DNA. Ticks the boxes. Good for right now. See how it pans out. If he strings together consistency and wins who knows.
He needs to unleash on these bitches. They got used to Baz giving them blowies.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven’t seen the whole press conferences. But saw some quotes. Said we need to fix discipline. Need to fix our defence. I’d love to know what he said at HT.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He needs to unleash on these bitches. They got used to Baz giving them blowies.
no if he does that they won’t play for him. Not yet anyway first few weeks he needs to get to know the players and get them to play for him and trust him with whatever changes he might bring.
A loss today was good since furner and co took control,it shows he sat back and let them do there shit now let’s do it my way.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
no if he does that they won’t play for him. Not yet anyway first few weeks he needs to get to know the players and get them to play for him and trust him with whatever changes he might bring.
A loss today was good since furner and co took control,it shows he sat back and let them do there shit now let’s do it my way.
Well I hope you're right.

If He gets us to avoid the spoon I'll be happy. That's his only mission.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think we will gradually improve as the season goes on you can attribute our incompetence to a poor of season and coaching staff. As long as potter does what he can to avoid a spoon and works on our discipline and nurtures youth players into the side then I’m satisfied.

Good on him for the half time spray, needs to get in the heads of the players and instill fear and expectation. Hoping he drops Dufty and a few others considering the circumstances his done alright.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I posted in the 'next coach, new coach' thread, I'll post here as it's probably the more appropriate place. I'm warming to the idea of Mick becoming the full time coach. It's still early days, but so far he's improved our attack a lot. If he can get us defending much better, we'll actually be competitive. In the short space of time he's had, he's done a pretty good job so far. And I like the way he goes about it and he clearly knows his stuff. You'd expect that with the experience he has.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else catch when Kiraz said in the press conference that the boys are more comfortable with Mick? Looked like it kind of slipped out accidentally

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else catch when Kiraz said in the press conference that the boys are more comfortable with Mick? Looked like it kind of slipped out accidentally
Yeah he was sweating bullets like Napa on his first interview lol. Good kid and bright future.
Players have already begun to respond to his coaching - first game at the helm last week and already scored more points in a game all season doubling and more our game average of 9.6 pts per game.