Matt Utai's Best Position

What position should Matt Utai play in our NRL side?

• Wing

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • Backrow

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Interchange Utility

Votes: 45 30.0%
  • Interchange Hooker

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • None. Should be in Baa's side

Votes: 56 37.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think there is a place for him first grade - maybe if there is an injury - but the high ball is his worst enemy on the wing - and a forward he is not on today's performance - maybe centre if there are injuries - but in the end - no longer needed.

Maza

Reaction score
Other than the one tiny duck and bust through the middle in the second half, I thought Utai done pretty much sh1t all.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Playing Utai in any position but the wing was always a terrible idea and that was proven to those who somehow doubted that today.

Hopefully this puts to bed all of that nonsense and that failed experiment will no longer be an option.

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
moore is prepared to mix it up which is good but from what i have seen so far we should have 4 fwds on the bench.maybe you could have this.
armit-secret ballplaying prop lol
kite -young battering ram whos still learning
eastwood-giant backrower has that mean factor and dangerous
gorden-another giant backrower who can also run straight up.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Utai's problem is similar to putting a midget in Worlds Strongest Man competition.

It simply can't work has he lacks the size and weight of a second rower.

He could possibly play lock (infact I think he played lock when Stagg left the field), but he isn't up to the workload, and Stagg can normally play 60-80 minutes.

I like Utai's attack, he has real mongrel there, but at the moment there isn't a spot in the side for him.

Only place I can think is El Masris wing, but EM had a fairly average game today.

LOL did you watch the game, he was one of the best

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/B]

LOL did you watch the game, he was one of the best
Agreed. I haven't seen Hazem break tackles like that in a long time. Good to see. Under the highball, he didn't get to it but I think that's cause it was all realyl bunched. Hazem is good under the highball tbh.

We'll see. If Haz consistantly plays how he did today, keep him in FG.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hope that answers your question

10 minutes of game time and played terrible everyone of those. Let sharks score a try, countless missed tackles.

Utai, back to the wing you go.

XAB14LONSO

Waterboy
Reaction score
if u put idris next to either one of em it doesnt matter. i dont see why its so hard to switch on the last or 4th

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont think Utai is confident as a second rower at the moment, he might be ok after a while but I would rather see him used where he belongs, on the edge of the ruck.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
if u put idris next to either one of em it doesnt matter. i dont see why its so hard to switch on the last or 4th
True that.

The only reason Cronulla didn't win today is they failed to exploit that wing of ours.

Most of their kicks when close to our line went way too deep.

However against say Souths, or Storm or Broncos we'd have gotten hammered on that wing.

It's nothing against El Masri, and most obviously nothing he can do to fix. He's just as a height disadvantage.

Having said this with Idris on his inside in previous games El Masri made way for Idris to cover the high ball, whereas Millard didn't have El Masri covered today.

Doggiez08

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After todays game i dont know where Utai fits in our team. I dont agree with him coming off the bench because he looked lost. One high ball Cronulla put up for him in the second half he jumped up and the ball was two metres from him. Sorry Utai i really enjoyed watching him play in the past but with El Masri and Goodwin on the wing i dont see him pushing any of them out the way anytime soon.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is why you dont move players from their prime positions.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He should play Second Row in the reggies and build his fitness and confidence.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys behind me were audibly watching utai from the second he came on.

i think they counted like 6 or 7 missed tackles before he made his first real tackle.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe he did some air swings going for some tackles. Probably tried to knock the oppositions heads off.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Utai was crap today - To put it nicely!

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love Utai at his best. But.... he was misreading the attack even on simple hit ups. He was in the middle of the park and going for the wrong player.

On the wing, he would be much worse. Unfortunately, he is not reading the attack at all.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Was found out in the middle when defending and was ineffective in attack except for one hit up. He is at his best when scooting out from dummy half.

Status
Not open for further replies.