Matt Frawley is our weak link

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frawley finished the game better than he started but damage was done

Pay won’t make wholesale changes and I would give the starting 13 another game together

The bench however needs an overhaul
We had worse such as Jackson, centres, wingers and bench. His passing game was excellent which helped Foran and Moses setup our outside backs.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think both Melb back up halves are better than Frawley (he did come good last night, passing ec) but he will never be a "great" 1st grader or "potential" origin player - so - I would rather we had an old great player partner Foran (eg like a Ricky Stuart at the end of his career for 1 year) OR try out a young up and coming player who "might" be an origin level player in future. So for us our options are really to try out a younger player eg Lewis or JMK etc. We might just hit Gold???

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think both Melb back up halves are better than Frawley (he did come good last night, passing ec) but he will never be a "great" 1st grader or "potential" origin player - so - I would rather we had an old great player partner Foran (eg like a Ricky Stuart at the end of his career for 1 year) OR try out a young up and coming player who "might" be an origin level player in future. So for us our options are really to try out a younger player eg Lewis or JMK etc. We might just hit Gold???
You do know that there is less than 2 years between the oldest Frawley and the youngest Lewis. At seasons end Lewis will be 22, JMK 22 and Frawley 23. Which one is considered the "young bloke"?

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
JMK s my pick he played very well in the trials

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let's hope we don't see any of that rubbish this year Robert.
I think some of the players are still suffering from Desball. Sadly we may see more of it You would think after last year's dismal performances they would be well rid of that coach by now.

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You do know that there is less than 2 years between the oldest Frawley and the youngest Lewis. At seasons end Lewis will be 22, JMK 22 and Frawley 23. Which one is considered the "young bloke"?
At this stage I still think JMK has the goods.

N

Natboy

I watched the game again without any distractions. I was originally pissed at Frawley but apart from the kick out on the full & the hole in his hands off the kickoff in the first few minutes he actually looked pretty good.

Actually, Jackson made more crucial errors. We were pretty unlucky a lot of the time. Montoya made silly errors too. There were opportunities begging that cost us any chance.

I’m crossing my fingers & toes that Pay drops one or two players out of Tolman, Elliot or Eastwood in that order.

We need more punch off the bench.
Tolman & Elliot are too small to be effective first graders in 2018.
Eastwood can be that player when fit but with the injuries he’s carried over the past 5-6 years those days are long gone.

I don’t care how badly our other forwards went in reserve grade. You often play in reserve grade like a reserve grader.
I’ll be massively shocked if Tualau isn’t on the bench this week.

The roosters weakness is their pack.
We need to dominate them in that area to stand any chance of beating them with that electric backline

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
At this stage I still think JMK has the goods.
Based on 10 mins in FG? I hope you are right but it is way too early to make that sort of call. Frawley was the next origin half after his first 15 mins.....

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched the game again without any distractions. I was originally pissed at Frawley but apart from the kick out on the full & the hole in his hands off the kickoff in the first few minutes he actually looked pretty good.

Actually, Jackson made more crucial errors. We were pretty unlucky a lot of the time. Montoya made silly errors too. There were opportunities begging that cost us any chance.

I’m crossing my fingers & toes that Pay drops one or two players out of Tolman, Elliot or Eastwood in that order.

Eastwood can be that player when fit but with the injuries he’s carried over the past 5-6 years those days are long gone.

I don’t care how badly our other forwards went in reserve grade. You often play in reserve grade like a reserve grader.

We need to dominate them in that area to stand any chance of beating them with that electric backline
That's the same sense I got at the game. I haven't watched a replay - I just can't do that, but I agree that Frawley was better than most give him credit for and that Montoya was disappointing. I can't help but think that if he doesn't step back up soon that young Bergamin might just cut his grass.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wonder if the Storm are going to get rid of Croft and Jacks, they are horrendous also kicking out on the full. or was it one of them twice???
He isnt the best half running around, but he did improve and the younger guys mustnt be setting the world on fire.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

This

Status
Not open for further replies.