Matt Burton's kicking game

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As individual players yes, but for the team, I disagree. I think they were missing some of the direction Cleary provides. At times, you could tell there were 2 5/8ths on the field.
Cleary's the best halfback out of the 3 and Luai complements Cleary the best out of himself and Burton imo. Burton has a lot of potential and could be better than both of them (obviously he isn't atm). Burton looks like a good hybrid between a halfback and five-eighth. It'll be interesting to see how him and Flanagan go. Burton looks like he can also be a dominant half. F I'm excited to see him in doggies colours, hopefully he's our Ponga signing. For someone who's only really played 4 games he shows great confidence in himself.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His long kicking game was great tonight.
However his attacking kicking was not as good as I recall it being last year when he played.
All good though, the penny's can pay & spend the time to develop that aspect of his game so when he comes next year he will be even better!!
That’s probably the most exciting thing about Burton he’s still a rough diamond to some extent currently and he will only get better. When you consider what level he’s already at imagine what the finished product could look like!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fast forward with 20 + games in first grade, this kid is going to be head and shoulders above most halves in the game...

panthers might have just had their Jonathon Thurston moment here!
Yeah I agree.. he is special..

He is so fluent in his movement and he does this with such speed and power..

I've never been so confident about a kid becoming a great.. he just has it all.. let's just hope stays dedicated, because the sky is the limit..

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree.. he is special..

He is so fluent in his movement and he does this with such speed and power..

I've never been so confident about a kid becoming a great.. he just has it all.. let's just hope stays dedicated, because the sky is the limit..
Good quote! I agree. Did Gould say something like he's the best kid that has come out of penrith since filter?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good quote! I agree. Did Gould say something like he's the best kid that has come out of penrith since filter?
I wouldn't have a clue.. I can't tolerate gus and channel 9 commentary..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's so much to like about this kid.. If continues to develop, he could be anything..
From last night's performance he's ready for first grade now.

Our problem is that we have no-one who will follow up his kicks, and put pressure on the opposition.

Reactions: GDR

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm hopeful burton won't back out of the deal when you see the side trent is putting together. He has been given permission to give the club a clean out, and I am interested to see the clubs further signings if his form is anything to go by.
I don't think he can.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleary's the best halfback out of the 3 and Luai complements Cleary the best out of himself and Burton imo. Burton has a lot of potential and could be better than both of them (obviously he isn't atm). Burton looks like a good hybrid between a halfback and five-eighth. It'll be interesting to see how him and Flanagan go. Burton looks like he can also be a dominant half. F I'm excited to see him in doggies colours, hopefully he's our Ponga signing. For someone who's only really played 4 games he shows great confidence in himself.
He's a solid unit, and he was playing against last year's premiers. Pretty good effort from him.

Malla

Reaction score
Great kicking game but it won't be as easy at the Dogs. Our go forward is shit and service from dummy half (assuming we don't sign Smith) is shit.

Most of his kicks came off a quick play the ball with Panthers on a roll on.

Not saying he can't do it for us, but it just shows how much easier it is for him to play at Panthers than it would be us.

All that aside, he is a freak. Having him on the left edge with Cotric (and potentially Matto) on either side of his hip with JAC or Allen sweeping around will be fucking awesome to watch.

Malla

Reaction score
I disagree. I think Burtons natural game is his running game that would compliment Cleary but having Burton who has an excellent kicking game would take so much pressure off Cleary. Look at the grand final last year and Storm put so much pressure on Cleary, Luai did nothing.

Anyway not our fucking problem because Burton is a bulldog now. Panthers can suck a dick

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The sound of his boot striking ball is loud, it echoes around the stadium.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll never forget that little wish I made, maybe around 2 years ago...

I was listening to Gus Gould on his podcast and he was rambling on about Penrith & his junior set up out there.
He started talking about his halves & his halves academy, talking about Nathan Cleary & Luai.
He then said that there's another young fellow that caught his eye from the first day he arrived - Matt Burton.
He then went on to say - "Infact, I think he's probably the best of the lot of em. Yep, I think he's the best of the lot of em !!!".

From that day I made a wish, hoping that we would someday sign him - knowing how integral a great half is in pursuit of success & how few there are.

Thank you God!!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is just validating Cleary’s argument, all the more reason we won’t see him this year...

Looks very smart and should compliment Flanagan nicely.
The whole thing was a stooge by the panthers as soon as cleary got that head knock he was never playing last night,the kid is a gun and they are just making sure we don't reap the benefits of having him until next year,nothing to do with his development as a player.can't wait too see him in a dogs jersey.