Opinion Matt Burton

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few disparaging comments on Burton and everyone is entitled to their opinions (albeit a month of footy in).

Personally, I don’t think we should be sharpening the pitch forks or saying move him to Centre cos he’s not a 6 etc.

He’s had two solid games, a quiet game and last night an absolute bludger but I’m prepared to give him time and before some say “what’s the difference between him and Jake’

Yes, they operate within the same stupid Baz system but Jakes had over a year of opportunities and secondly probably most importantly, Burton is a prodigious talent, superstar in waiting and when all is said and done will accomplish great things.

He is playing like he’s been told by Baz to only operate down one part of the field ie. work your magic in my broken system like you are playing in a phone booth.

Madness!

I’m sure he will put this bad performance behind him and come out v his former club and perform.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he was horrendous yesterday. Being tackled on the 5th numerous times, throwing balls to no body, the intercept to coates, kicked for a 7 tackle set etc etc he just looked like he'd never played in his life. the 1 time he put a bomb up, papenhauzen struggled under it and let it bounce. it obviously caused him issues, so what did burton do after that? not put up another one. he hasn't looked interested since he arrived at belmore to be honest

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton had an absolute disaster class and it was as bad as a performance as any of our halves over the years. People don't want to hear it but his and the teams form dropped off a cliff after a certain round 3 change.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bellemy is the master of taking away your best assets and Burton is having trouble settling in while getting no help from the coach or teammates. He was on a hiding to nothing yesterday.

Lets hope he can ride this out before his confidence is completely shot.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton had an absolute disaster class and it was as bad as a performance as any of our halves over the years. People don't want to hear it but his and the teams form dropped off a cliff after a certain round 3 change.
The only change Baz needed to make after R2 was Okunbor. Even Jackson hinted at the disruptions of having these knee jerk reaction changes

I said early on whomever he picks (Jake, Wakeham) he needed to stick with him for at least 10 games, certainly don’t throw out the baby with the bath water after 2 games when we actually looked good in most facets of the game

Last night the Storm absolutely pumped us everywhere scoring at will on the left, right and middle

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bellemy is the master of taking away your best assets and Burton is having trouble settling in while getting no help from the coach or teammates. He was on a hiding to nothing yesterday.

Lets hope he can ride this out before his confidence is completely shot.
He’s the best ever in my book

2012 GF I’m sitting there thinking he’s worked us out after 10 mins with his umbrella defence yet Des doesn’t make any adjustments

Last night as you pointed out he took away all our strengths and ruthlessly exposed a soft underbelly and poor coaching by Baz

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wakeham ain’t gunna help him with shit passes ,he ain’t strong enough and can’t draw and pass ,we need a half and a gun fullback for NEXT year

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wakeham ain’t gunna help him with shit passes ,he ain’t strong enough and can’t draw and pass ,we need a half and a gun fullback for NEXT year
Plus two centres that can break tackles and pass to their wingers

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The only change Baz needed to make after R2 was Okunbor. Even Jackson hinted at the disruptions of having these knee jerk reaction changes

I said early on whomever he picks (Jake, Wakeham) he needed to stick with him for at least 10 games, certainly don’t throw out the baby with the bath water after 2 games when we actually looked good in most facets of the game

Last night the Storm absolutely pumped us everywhere scoring at will on the left, right and middle
Most on TK wanted that change so i hope they're enjoying it :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I think Burton is massively overhyped though tbf, there's obviously plenty of issues but he isn't a shadow of the player people on here made him out to be. He still has plenty of developing to do and as we all know players don't develop at the Dogs..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's had a bad couple of games but anyone saying he's overrated or a flop signing has no clue..

As much as Burton needs to play better, Baz is doing him no favours using him the way he is. Burton should be playing both sides of the ruck and have the licence to roam. Before anyone says well that's on Burton, watch the way he played in the halves at Penrith and how involved he was on both sides. Clearly Baz is instructing Burton to stay on the left.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Most on TK wanted that change so i hope they're enjoying it :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I think Burton is massively overhyped though tbf, there's obviously plenty of issues but he isn't a shadow of the player people on here made him out to be. He still has plenty of developing to do and as we all know players don't develop at the Dogs..
He had three and four defenders in his face the second he touched the ball yesterday because the service is so slow and predictable to him and the opposition knows he's our only strike weapon.

He is the player he was made out to be, he showed that at Penrith even in games where all of their Origin players were missing. He just needs time in a shitty team with a shitty structure and coach to adjust and to be able to find his form.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Every games teams are putting 2/3 players on him barrett needs to be smarter
This, coupled with the shit slow service from dummy half. Teams know we don't have a creative/attacking half, they know that our backrowers apart from TPJ won't even look at passing/offloading...easy meat to just put the extra man on Burton and smother the attack down that edge.

Malla

Reaction score
Burtin is fine. He is not the issue, he is part of the solution.

Team is disconnected, not given the opportunity to build combinations, not put in a structure that's going to get the best out of them. Coaching is the biggest issue from what I see.

Malla

Reaction score
This, coupled with the shit slow service from dummy half. Teams know we don't have a creative/attacking half, they know that our backrowers apart from TPJ won't even look at passing/offloading...easy meat to just put the extra man on Burton and smother the attack down that edge.
TPJ had a good game. I prefer him playing in the middle to just focus on yardage and getting the odd offload away.