News Matt Burton wants out

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Twist in Matt Burton battle as Bulldogs reject Dylan Napa trade deal
David Riccio and Exclusive
Canterbury have rejected an approach from Penrith to take Dylan Napa as a trade for releasing rising star Matt Burton immediately.
In the first sign that the Panthers are willing to investigate letting Burton go to Belmore one season early, Napa was recently identified as a possible solution for both clubs.

The loss of two experienced middle-forwards in captain James Tamou to the Wests Tigers and Kiwi Test forward Zane Tetevano to Leeds has left Penrith officials eager to solidify their pack with another big man before the 2021 season kick-off.

The club would only release Burton immediately, who has signed a contract with Canterbury from 2022, if they were able to obtain a player of value in return.

Napa, the former Queensland Origin prop, is off-contract at the Dogs at the end of this season and a move to Penrith has the potential for him to not only increase his chances of playing finals football in 2021 with one of the competition heavyweights, but potentially prolong his NRL career.

Matt Burton is hoping to be at the Bulldogs in 2021, a season earlier than expected.
Napa’s huge 198cm, 113kg frame in addition to his NRL experience of more than 150 first-grade games is appealing to the Panthers as they strive to keep open their premiership window.

However, new Dogs coach Trent Barrett was quick to quash the interest during conversations with the Panthers last week.

Like Penrith, Barrett has a similar view of Napa’s value to the Dogs as the club continues to rebuild in 2021.

Barrett confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Napa was integral to his plans for the upcoming season.

At this stage, the Panthers have no interest in any other player at the Dogs, meaning Burton’s ambition to join Canterbury immediately could be mute unless the Napa move gains traction.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Twist in Matt Burton battle as Bulldogs reject Dylan Napa trade deal
David Riccio and Exclusive
Canterbury have rejected an approach from Penrith to take Dylan Napa as a trade for releasing rising star Matt Burton immediately.
In the first sign that the Panthers are willing to investigate letting Burton go to Belmore one season early, Napa was recently identified as a possible solution for both clubs.

The loss of two experienced middle-forwards in captain James Tamou to the Wests Tigers and Kiwi Test forward Zane Tetevano to Leeds has left Penrith officials eager to solidify their pack with another big man before the 2021 season kick-off.

The club would only release Burton immediately, who has signed a contract with Canterbury from 2022, if they were able to obtain a player of value in return.

Napa, the former Queensland Origin prop, is off-contract at the Dogs at the end of this season and a move to Penrith has the potential for him to not only increase his chances of playing finals football in 2021 with one of the competition heavyweights, but potentially prolong his NRL career.

Matt Burton is hoping to be at the Bulldogs in 2021, a season earlier than expected.
Napa’s huge 198cm, 113kg frame in addition to his NRL experience of more than 150 first-grade games is appealing to the Panthers as they strive to keep open their premiership window.

However, new Dogs coach Trent Barrett was quick to quash the interest during conversations with the Panthers last week.

Like Penrith, Barrett has a similar view of Napa’s value to the Dogs as the club continues to rebuild in 2021.

Barrett confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Napa was integral to his plans for the upcoming season.

At this stage, the Panthers have no interest in any other player at the Dogs, meaning Burton’s ambition to join Canterbury immediately could be mute unless the Napa move gains traction.

LOL out of all our good (see; GREAT) players they wanted Napa hahaha
Why wouldnt they want the prince? Hes a 5/8, centre, BALL PLAYING LOCK/2nd rower and bench utility all rolled into 1

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If there's any truth to Penrith's interest in Napa, then surely you pull the trigger if they're insistent on getting a player back.

Yes we're light on props as it is, especially with Thompson suspended, but we still have an extra roster spot available and could easily find a cheap prop to replace Napa in the next month or so.. It's not as if Napa has set the world on fire in his two seasons with us. It would all depend on what portion each club pays of his contract which could be a sticking point.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL out of all our good (see; GREAT) players they wanted Napa hahaha
Why wouldnt they want the prince? Hes a 5/8, centre, BALL PLAYING LOCK/2nd rower and bench utility all rolled into 1
you left out orange peeler....ball boy....sand boy...& jersey laundry lady!!!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
interesting this story dates at least several days re the "last week" quote when Baz apparently knocked it on the head.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks this is Penrith's turn to put pressure on us now...FFS get this done. I don't care who blinks first or who "wins" from this deal as long as we get Burton. I'm not fussed about Napa going or staying but I know Burton will make a bigger impact on the team than Garfiled ever will

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Forget lock, kid is a 5/8th

I think this should put an end to the hypothetical Averillo v Burton at 5/8th discussion for this season. Burton here showcases an entire range of skills perfect for 5/8th. He has a really comfortable rhythm in attack and from the looks of it a very decent kicking game. I've barely seen Flanno's game, but Burton would take off a lot of pressure and they could make an incredible halves pairing.

Averillo's highlights are based more around his running game. Awesome speed, late footwork. This could also make for a good running 5/8th, but we don't yet know how developed his other skills . From what we've seen thus far he'd make for a better fullback than 5/8th. I think utility for this season will help with his adjustment to NRL, and then down the line if he's good enough, he'll push Allan to centre and secure the fullback spot.

#FreeBurton

Last edited:

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
It looks this is Penrith's turn to put pressure on us now...FFS get this done. I don't care who blinks first or who "wins" from this deal as long as we get Burton. I'm not fussed about Napa going or staying but I know Burton will make a bigger impact on the team than Garfiled ever will
Would love to see what TBaz sees in Napa that we don’t. Not saying he’s wrong or anything but if he’s got the ability TBaz wants I’m pretty excited to hopefully see him improve.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we would be pretty tight on cap space after the Allan signing to pay the freight required to shift Napa. We only have one roster spot left and that was being kept open for Burton according to Tbaz so you’d think it’s under $500k left in our cap. You’d have to pay Burton’s salary, pay the freight on Napa and then pay for a replacement prop.

Burton was reportedly getting around $400k and I think we’d have to pay a minimum $200k freight on Napa. Of course this is pretty much me thinking out loud and the numbers could be way off but I think it would be tight fitting it all in.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would love to see what TBaz sees in Napa that we don’t. Not saying he’s wrong or anything but if he’s got the ability TBaz wants I’m pretty excited to hopefully see him improve.
Probs just Baz playing it safe, it's really last chance as a head coach for him (even though I think he will do well). He probs just doesn't want to get rid of players he doesn't have too as weakening his middles doesn't help us when we have a new young spine. Ivan Cleary is just a wanker, if he wants a middle forward he should just sign his mate Russell Packer again lol