[Match thread] Bulldogs 30 def Sharks 18

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree trial results aren't worth getting worked up over and no one should be calling for blood yet.. We have to see how the first month of the season goes first...

But to struggle so much initially against a Reserve Grade Cronulla team isn't ideal, especially when we played most of our top 30 excluding those at the All-Stars...

Those that were so flat and poor in the first half would want to rip in and atone next week against the Raiders whether it's a trial or not.

I think many people are still dubious about Pay's tactics and selections but I'll wait and see how they play in the opening rounds first before judging.
Completely agree with what you're saying mate, I really do. I didn't watch the game, so very hard for me to give an insight so I truly do trust your views as I know you call it as how it is. Don't doubt for a second that we were below standard, and really should've performed better with a much clearer and well structured game plan. You know full well my major concern about this season isn't the players, but the coach so I share your fear if I'm honest.

But we're only 1 trial game in ...

I just question, or more worry at the fact that so many people are seemingly wound up on personal vendettas against or for some of our players. One can't give a negative opinion about the form of someone without having their support for the team questioned. On the flip side if someone supports a player that everyone seems hellbent on burning they're treated as morons who're blind and simply follow without reason.

It all seems absurd to me that we're all losing our shit over a trial game, and simply can't discuss the game with a little bit of objectivity. No one is saying a player like Lewis is the answer. Or Pay will lead us to a string of premierships. We all know we've got a long hard road in front of us. I just refuse to burn the witches at the stake after one trial game ....

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because we are all getting a sense of deja vu.. starting the season with the wrong side.. I can't actually believe any thinks Lewis is a good half..
Agree. We brought in Shifty to train the halves which we're all super happy and positive about. Imagine he's got some input into this, no?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Classic. Just off a long flight so missed the action. 500+ Kennel meltdown messages (I’ve only seen a handful) with impending doom and calls to sack players and the coach. And we still won.

It’s a trial - first 80min of the year.
Let’s see how they go next week leading into Round 1 before anyone works themselves into too much of a lather :-).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Classic. Just off a long flight so missed the action. 500+ Kennel meltdown messages (I’ve only seen a handful) with impending doom and calls to sack players and the coach. And we still won.

It’s a trial - first 80min of the year.
Let’s see how they go next week leading into Round 1 before anyone works themselves into too much of a lather :-).
Let's just wait until 2025 and Lewis might've learned how to play as a halfback by then?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Completely agree with what you're saying mate, I really do. I didn't watch the game, so very hard for me to give an insight so I truly do trust your views as I know you call it as how it is. Don't doubt for a second that we were below standard, and really should've performed better with a much clearer and well structured game plan. You know full well my major concern about this season isn't the players, but the coach so I share your fear if I'm honest.

I just question, or more worry at the fact that so many people are seemingly wound up on personal vendettas against or for some of our players. One can't give a negative opinion about the form of someone without having their support for the team questioned. On the flip side if someone supports a player that everyone seems hellbent on burning they're treated as morons who're blind and simply follow without reason.

It all seems absurd to me that we're all losing our shit over a trial game, and simply can't discuss the game with a little bit of objectivity. No one is saying a player like Lewis is the answer. Or Pay will lead us to a string of premierships. We all know we've got a long hard road in front of us. I just refuse to burn the witches at the stake after one trial game ....
Well said Steve. It's only the trials but the Kennel has rounded into finals form with people jumping down each others throats! Haha..

Like you said not everything has to be in such extremes of blind support or constant negativity.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using the fall back that we won doesn't make sense to me for a trial. The final score is irrelevant really you don't get 2 points and there's so many personnel changes during the game you can only really judge on a personal performances and even then you don't know what the coach has asked from the player to focus on during the game.

What stood out for me was the attacking structure in the first half it looked exactly the same as last year. Lewis and Cogger looked so rusty it wasn't funny and their execution in attack and defence was way off.

Is it time to hit the panic button? No but they would both want a much better showing next week.

If the trials were a true a shoot out for Round 1 spots you'd have Wakeham there. I know its not but its still food for thought.

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Game day threads always emotionally heated.
I really think we have enough in the team to make an impact this year.
Its all on Pay. The team needs to be determined purely on performance. If Pay has preconceived ideas on who he'll pick than we are going to have another miserable start to the year.
Im not calling for his head or dumping shit on him, just stating the obvious.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didnt get to watch the game myself, so I'm curious to know what you all saw? Did any of our youngsters show serious potential? Did our forwards stand up? Was it two different teams for each half?? Why didnt we win by more???

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

If u didnt watch the game then what you have said means absolute shit. Watch the game, then come back and comment with your opinion. We played a reserve grade Sharks.
Whereas roosters played their first game of the year this morning and they comfortably beat St Helens. Its as if they haven't even had an off season.
Massive difference between a premiership winning club and our bottom 4 club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didnt get to watch the game myself, so I'm curious to know what you all saw? Did any of our youngsters show serious potential? Did our forwards stand up? Was it two different teams for each half?? Why didnt we win by more???
Averillo looks likely whenever he gets the ball.. he didn't see a lot of it though from memory.... Harper had a good outing and pulled a few results when required, such as quick play the ball penalties, one on one steals... Kalache had a fair game with pretty high involvement... the reason we did not score more points is because for the first 40-50 (Cogger lewis) we couldn't organise a root in a brothel

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We could barely score a try in our little win streak last year, it was never going to be any different.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well how much more time does he get?
He’s signed until the end of 2021, so he’s unlikely going anywhere prior to that. I’m not suggesting he’s a superstar nor saviour but I’m not going to judge him on the first hit-out of the year and I’m going to give him a little more time - same as I think Wakeham shows great potential but automatically throwing him in at 7 from Round 1 isn’t necessarily the right move either. Let’s see how next week goes against the Raiders before anyone gets too carried away.

Also - the ‘guaranteed start’ thing as far as I can tell was a media article. I haven’t seen Pay confirm he’s guaranteed to start at 7, have you?