News Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sad, Muzza was great to watch, he loved being the villain, when he had Ian Roberts in that souths pack man they were animals.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surprised Benny Elias hasn't been mentioned when talking about Mario. They had a huge rivalry as opposing hookers for Balmain and Souths.

Even Benny took advantage of Mario back in the day when they packed into a scrum in a semi-final and Benny wanted Blocker to land one on the opposing forwards in the scrum, which Block had no trouble doing, yes it was a different era then.

All hell broke loose, and Benny decided he'd bite down on his own hand hard while fists were flying everywhere and then went to the ref to show him what MARIO had done to him. Ref said I saw it all, "Mario, you're off!" He couldn't believe it but had to go.

Mario played the game hard and wore his heart on his sleeve, but he could be very easily baited.

Morons on the Matty Johns show thought it was a laugh.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Did they really “make it a joke”. He was diagnosed in 2016 and that version of show ended in 2013!
Mario happily made fun of other panel members looks…mocking Peter Sterlings nose and baldness weekly! Does that become “bullying” if those panel members get a similar diagnosis??
Anyone remember Mario's segment where fans sent in fruits veggies and other oddities that looked like Sterlo? :tearsofjoy:

He played the role of the pest because it came natural to him. Some characters were scripted somewhat but most of the dialogue was not.

Revisionist history fishing for victimhood again.

I hope Fatty and others take Channel 7 to court and rape the fuck out of them. Footy Show had alot of low brow humour but not as disgustingly low as the level of journalism that attempts to ingratiate themselves with the woke movement/cancel culturetards by narrating heroes and villains into every single fucking story.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did they really “make it a joke”. He was diagnosed in 2016 and that version of show ended in 2013!
Mario happily made fun of other panel members looks…mocking Peter Sterlings nose and baldness weekly! Does that become “bullying” if those panel members get a similar diagnosis??
Anyone remember Mario's segment where fans sent in fruits veggies and other oddities that looked like Sterlo? :tearsofjoy:

He played the role of the pest because it came natural to him. Some characters were scripted somewhat but most of the dialogue was not.

I hope Fatty and others take Channel 7 to court and rape the fuck out of them. Footy Show had alot of low brow humour but not as disgustingly low as the level of journalism that attempts to ingratiate themselves with the woke movement/cancel culturetards by narrating heroes and villains into every single fucking story.
Mario's wife also said they made fun of him after he was diagnosed.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes agree, it’s certainly a different world we live in these days.

I’m definitely not being dismissive of Mario’s situation and wish him all the very as anyone would for anyone who is in a similar situation to him but for those going back to blame someone for his condition now is merely an assumption and terribly disappointing.

If people are upset what they saw back some 10 to 15 years ago on the NRL Footy Show then we can thank god they never saw the AFL Footy Show.

It made the NRL footy show look like Play School.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Her doctor told me not to ask questions bc this rams home the mental anguish they feel and overloads the brain in making them upset at the thought processes they've lost.

It's an evil thing. For families it's terrible as your mum or dad fades away from you. We were lucky in the sense that Mum went to a happy place and the frustration and depression she felt stopped as her brain function eased off.

All I can offer is ...just hang in there. They may not act as tho they appreciate us caring for them...but in our hearts we know they do and would if they were physically ill and not suffering from dementia.

Our parents changed our nappies, toilet trained us, taught us how to eat, tie shoelaces, communicate etc. Do whatever you can to help and read up on this scurge so you have better acknowledge.

They were there for us so do what you can for them. They are a long time gone and regrets and guilt are hard to live with. There will come a time when a new phase of the illness for them goes from anger and aggression, into sadly a hollow shell. Be kind to yourself, take time out and know that you did all you could to make them as comfortable as possible whilst they were under your love and care xx
Exactly this. I always thought to myself 'hey I know what I am feeling and thinking how can I interpret the same for the one suffering?"
Poor Mum suffered verbal and at times physical abuse from Dad and that is something I NEVER saw in the times growing up and beyond.

The disease is a very sick entity coming in the back door in a cunning and wilful way. No one of advanced years should ever have to suffer the indignity of having someone wipe their backside for them or change a soiled nappy, or spoon feed them or have to constantly hear them repeat the same thing over and over again, or watch that light slowly go out in their eyes.

But it is something we do for the one we love, the one as you said raised us and provided for us whilst young and until we were able to properly do for ourselves, simply because we can.

And yes you are right about the final end stage where the light does fully go out and the person we loved and cherished is no longer the one we would like to remember....

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel for the bloke and clearly has an issue. However his wife annoyed me and played up a bit for the camera. Made out as if he couldn't shave on his on but the next second playing a round of golf. She kept cutting him off aswell.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for the bloke and clearly has an issue. However his wife annoyed me and played up a bit for the camera. Made out as if he couldn't shave on his on but the next second playing a round of golf. She kept cutting him off aswell.
I was getting a rash and skin irritation watching that shave.
TBH I reckon that did more damage to Mario as opposed to raising awareness about this terrible disease. It didn't sit right with me.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Totally agree that people should not be made a fool f because of dementia. It is an insidious condition.
However, it's not true that it is caused alone by trauma. ( eg Footy players.)
A lot of people have this condition who have never had any trauma including females.