luke thompson

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had a centre dominate him... he is to small to be called a forward and has no ball playing skills atall and no footwork also. Average player on big money

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he fits in that category of ‘would be better, in a better side’, as do a couple of other players in this squad. A stronger squad around him would help improve his game a lot. Anyone who read into the media build up and thought he was going to drag this team off the bottom of the ladder by himself, seriously is kidding themselves. Stats don’t always tell the story, but today he had 30ish minutes, over 10m per hit up, 5+m average post contact mts, quick play the ball speed compared to the rest of the team and completes his tackles. We know he has some aggression to go along with some decent stats. New country, no family supports, I’m happy to give him some more time and direct my frustration at about 20 others players who aren’t first grade standard.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think he fits in that category of ‘would be better, in a better side’, as do a couple of other players in this squad. A stronger squad around him would help improve his game a lot. Anyone who read into the media build up and thought he was going to drag this team off the bottom of the ladder by himself, seriously is kidding themselves. Stats don’t always tell the story, but today he had 30ish minutes, over 10m per hit up, 5+m average post contact mts, quick play the ball speed compared to the rest of the team and completes his tackles. We know he has some aggression to go along with some decent stats. New country, no family supports, I’m happy to give him some more time and direct my frustration at about 20 others players who aren’t first grade standard.
He needs to play at least 50 minutes and be more than solid (he's had a few performances where he was below solid). That's what his price tag demands. We're not a good team and next year we're going to be a team in or around the eight at best (an average team). The eye test in underwhelming.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He needs to play at least 50 minutes and be more than solid (he's had a few performances where he was below solid). That's what his price tag demands. We're not a good team and next year we're going to be a team in or around the eight at best (an average team). The eye test in underwhelming.
Some of those are out of his control mate, he isn’t getting hooked for poor performances, I agree he needs 50min atleast but that’s on the coaching staff atm. That’s why I’m prepared to give him the first 1/4 of next season to judge him. A better squad, a full off season and maybe a settled home environment and let’s see if he lives up to the price tag, I really hope he does.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im calling it now luke thompson wont see out his contract, 7 games in doing less every game, super league standard well below nrl standard , he might havelooked ok over there against shit opposition, beenshown up here already as average
I’ve said it before,when You are in a team that is always on the back foot,and no football brains,it is very difficult to stand out,he tried very hard today,but got no help from the players around him,I believe with some new players and coaching environment,he will be a good buy,and on current form St. Helens would kick our arses

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he still hasn’t been given a proper chance to be honest

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hasn't played poorly. He just hasn't played well enough to justify the price tag or hype. He needs to make more of an impact.

Either way, there's no excuse to not play him huge minutes when we're 2-13 and they've invested so much money in Thompson. The only way he'll improve is if he plays more and finds some confidence.

It's embarrassing and confusing that the club is allowing a stop gap interim coach to bench their prized signing and play him less minutes by the week while forwards who won't be at the club next year play huge minutes.
I agree.
He hasn't been as bad as some people are describing here but can't get say he is living up to the price tag.

Our whole team has been poor with just a few exceptions really. It's not really fair to single him out as he hasn't done anything wrong (little to no errors, penalties or missed tackles).

I keep faith that he can do better next year under baz and hopefully with a new number 9.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You guys are kidding with your scapegoats i cant wait to re visit this next year so many worse players and he will lift with some actual other good forwards to support him
Hopefully Thompson uses the people doubting him as motivation to work his ass off and improve over the offseason and show people why he was so highly rated in the first place.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our coaches at the dogs are all rubbish,for three years and even towards the end of Hasler’s tenure we haven’t learnt how to attack or change lines ,or a hooker that can’t make a line break and get support in play,most of our players have regressed,maybe Elliott has more mongrel than the rest of our forward pack.
And what’s with the bloody kicks on the last play,same shit ground hog kicks just praying for a knock on,this was happening since Frawley played for us.
Friggen to right this mob all need to go,the coaching has been beyond diabolical.
Our club one of the old power houses in the league has become a laughing stock.
Where it stems from the smell of favouritism from the top of the tree,but dead set our team half the time look like they never played the game before.
Trent Barrett really needs to make sure he can inject enthusiasm and get better effort from the highest payed players in our team,forget the salary cap if u can’t get the highest paid players to fire up ,then we have a cap problem.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We found someone to take the 4th hit up every set now that tolman is going and he only cost us twice as much

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe people are making so many excuses for him. "Its the coach's fault, the players around him are shit, the sun's too bright, the airs too thin, the grass in Australia isn't long enough. The guy has been terrible. For 800k a year you could sign Payne hass and pay a little bit of AFB salary as well. Thompson is shit I can't see how a pre season a shorten one at that would help him.

After going though salary cap hell then signing Thompson on mega bucks it's a fucking shambles. Lynne and Hill need to be sacked for his signing alone. Fancy travelling to the other side of the world and signing an English prop on mega bucks without even settling on a coach. Barrett had zero say in his signing. That's on top of releasing klemmer and CHN without getting player swaps for them. On top resigning almost the entire wooden spoon team. Again with Barrett having zero say. Here's an idea how about choosing a coach first then let him spend our salary cap. Fucking shambles.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not saying Thompson is a bad player but atm he is not playing as an elite player - his defence has been the most disappointing -however a full pre season in Australian conditions and a decent coach or two may make all the difference - if he doesnt improve i can see him being a NSW cup or fg bench at best. Physically he needs some size, needs a step swerve or off load otherwise he will just get smashed week after week.
He is quick for a forward has a quick play the ball so not all is lost.