Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love Thomo but we were desperate for a prop when we signed him and he is indeed on big dollars. I think selling him to free up space for a competent halves partner for Burton or a Hooker makes sense.
The team will be a lot stronger and probably win more games.

Unfortunately we can't sell any of the other duds because no one is going to buy them.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
As old mate said that clearly knows him somehow it’s all gone quiet and luke said no to going to tigers. Let’s get behind him. He’s a great player and the last one we have
On our backs right now we should let go.

Renegotiate with burton if we have to for 23 but throw some him all of stimsons Fucking 350k. ***** not worth a cent.

Simple.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's come into a WINNING TEAM, why would he struggle? The challenge is joining our team of losers and maintaining form and playing a key position. Until he does this an upgrade shouldn't be up for discussion.
Plenty of players struggle in a winning team because they're not very good. Do want to give him credit for his form and how talented he is at all or is that all a by-product of playing for Penrith?

Again, he's played well in numerous games when they've had half their team out so it's not like he's always surrounded by superstars at every position.

Would you rather potentially lose Burton and then replace him with another Flanagan type reject or lock Burton up ahead of time?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Plenty of players struggle in a winning team because they're not very good. Do want to give him credit for his form and how talented he is at all or is that all a by-product of playing for Penrith?

Again, he's played well in numerous games when they've had half their team out so it's not like he's always surrounded by superstars at every position.

Would you rather potentially lose Burton and then replace him with another Flanagan type reject or lock Burton up ahead of time?
If we're going to potentially lose him because we didn't offer him an upgrade before he kicked a ball for us then so be it. If we start winning footy games, start competing then he will get his money, if we don't then he isn't as big a loss as people think.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we're going to potentially lose him because we didn't offer him an upgrade before he kicked a ball for us then so be it. If we start winning footy games, start competing then he will get his money, if we don't then he isn't as big a loss as people think.
Let's agree to disagree bro. I agree with your logic in principle for most players. But Burton is far more talented than most players. And good halves are impossible to find these days... That's why I think in Burton's case it's better for Gus to be proactive.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have something like 10-12 players off contract this year, though our cap for 2022 is almost maxed out?
We've already spent a lot of the money.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Calm down Elvis !,
Luke doesn’t want to go anywhere, he’s committed but unfortunately it’s out of his hands, there’s only Tigers with any cash at present and he’s told Gus he ain’t going, he’s not interested, it’s all gone quiet, so fingers crossed that’s the end of it, business as usual, onwards and upwards
Mate I am calm if you look at the 300 posts I made calming every one down.

Read my posts before commenting next time.

PS the fuck is with the Elvis comment? Lol

Last edited:

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate I am calm if you look at the 300 posts I made calling every one down.

Read my posts before commenting next time.

PS the fuck is with the Elvis comment? Lol
Must be a Manchester thing. Theyre all flogs out there

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Calm down Elvis !,
Luke doesn’t want to go anywhere, he’s committed but unfortunately it’s out of his hands, there’s only Tigers with any cash at present and he’s told Gus he ain’t going, he’s not interested, it’s all gone quiet, so fingers crossed that’s the end of it, business as usual, onwards and upwards
Well that’s a bit of a change from the grenades you were throwing yesterday mate :tearsofjoy:

MosDef

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's a good player who will grow another leg in a good side with support however 825k on a prop is too much. Especially when we're weak in all spine positions outside the 6. Would like to keep him if we can still upgrade hooker and half back position but if he needs to be sacrificed so be it.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
While he isn’t wrong, one problem is if you can’t attract big name talent, and the rules state you must pay your squad at least 95% off the cap, you end up having to pay minimum wage players overs to remain compliant. Of course then you can’t do that for one season of their contract only so it’s snowballs.

Having most of the squad on 1-2 year deals can limit that effect, which the club has been doing.
The nrl needs to move towards a nfl type spend 95% average salary cap over 5 years. That means you can save up rather than spend when the right players aren’t available.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The nrl needs to move towards a nfl type spend 95% average salary cap over 5 years. That means you can save up rather than spend when the right players aren’t available.
Thats a good idea - even over three years would give clubs some flexibility and plan for seasons with lots of injuries etc

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Looks for all the world like freeing up $ for an experienced half to partner an inexperienced half and set the inexperienced half up for success

Look to the Elite juniors around and secure them for middle grunt
Vaughan likely at less than 50% of Thompson

smart Administration All round

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Looks for all the world like freeing up $ for an experienced half to partner an inexperienced half and set the inexperienced half up for success

Look to the Elite juniors around and secure them for middle grunt
Vaughan likely at less than 50% of Thompson

smart Administration All round
Vaughan's also half the player (if that).