Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury prop Luke Thompson has attracted interest from rival NRL clubs after his English-based manager could not secure a new, long-term deal with the Bulldogs.
While wanting him to complete his contract at Belmore, Canterbury would consider releasing Thompson early should he procure a lengthy deal elsewhere.

The Bulldogs know there is interest in Thompson.

Thompson has two years remaining on his current Bulldogs deal but his agent, Andy Clarke, has been contacting NRL clubs trying to gauge their interest in the giant British forward from 2024.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Wests Tigers have shown a keenness in Thompson, who earns around $850,000 a season.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Clarke wants to nail down Thompson’s long-term future in Australia. He contacted Canterbury hoping the club would agree to an extension.

Yet with a crammed salary cap, Canterbury was unable to tell Clarke they could extend Thompson beyond his current deal. Thompson has an option his way for 2023.

If he can obtain a four-year deal for Thompson, Clarke may ask Canterbury for a release.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership on Foxtel Find out more
The Daily Telegraph has been told Canterbury is right on its salary cap limit for next season.

Rival clubs would want Canterbury to pay around $350,000 a year to take Thompson.

Canterbury can send out its new-look squad next season with any financial pressure but would struggle to sign any new players - or even upgrade a player - given how tight their salary cap has become.

New Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, is closely monitoring and reworking the club’s cap. Thompson leads the club’s stats every week but an early departure would free up some cash.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Canterbury is adamant Thompson is not being shopped around - it’s more Clarke trying to settle his client’s long-term NRL future.

Clarke is said to be looking “at all options”.

There are no guarantees Canterbury would allow Thompson to leave early but the club would carefully consider any approach.

There is at least one other Sydney club which has been approached about Thompson.

Thompson has told friends he wants to stay at Canterbury and be part of the expected revival next season.

The Bulldogs are open to moving a player or two while they work to reshape their salary cap. Canterbury has one spot open for next season.

Thompson has established himself among the finest forwards in the NRL desire playing in a wooden-spoon side. He overcame a bout of homesickness just last year.

In September last year, Thompson said: “I’m fully committed to the Bulldogs.”

Thompson will play prop in Canterbury’s match against Newcastle this Saturday on the Gold Coast.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I personally think he's worth 725k (NRL Rich 100 list, it's interesting they're now reverting back to the 850k figure and they're the same publishers...) to us where we're right now. I also wouldn't be paying 1 cent for another club to take him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure what his manager thinks a long term deal is when he still has 2 years to run on his current one!

Thompson isn’t worth $850k and he now has a judiciary record that’s going to bite him in the ass for sneezing in the wrong direction. I wouldn’t mind keeping him but if we could make something work in the clubs favour then I wouldn’t be against releasing him.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He isn’t a $850k player. But he would be the 2nd last person you’d be releasing. Followed by burton.

Move Elliot, Jackson, RFM, Waddell, Hetherington. Heck even TPJ before you consider moving Thommo.

Just needs to stop getting suspended. What is it? 7-8 weeks this season? Hopefully none next year because losing a player for 1/3 of the season through injury or suspension can derail a season.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted about Gus years ago and was a huge fan of his appointment but if this does happen I was very wrong (for the first time on the Kennel believe it or not!) I mean maybe not completely wrong as we couldn’t possibly be worse than when we signed him but extremely dejected. I hope this is all BS cause if this is true I think it will have major repercussions.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And There It Is !!!

Now way would I be happy with paying any freight at all.

If they want him they pay full freight or F OFF !!!

If we want to be the best we need to start acting like the best.

Storm don't pay freight, why in the hell should we.
They pay full freight and we raid some of their best up and coming.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This article is come solely from his agent. Dogs are pissed off at him and refusing to be bullied into extending him. Thompson doesn’t want to leave his manager thinks he should be upgraded (more commission for him) but dogs pretty much shut the phone in his face this is his agenda being pushed in the Media with some added spice

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh well there was some noise if he is on 850? FMD that is a lot of coin but wtf would be the point of offloading him and paying 350 of it? and for how long just next year? Plus WHO are we going to get to replace him(unless its to do with a Smith deal...??)

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No f way 350k if he wants to get a long term offer elsewhere we pay nothing.

I think his manager is pretty stupid unless he thinks his clients value is going to go down.

Show next year that he is up there with the top props like JFH. The whole 500 k to sign with another club next year already shows he has lost value.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thompson is happy to stay for the money his on. His Manager is in his ear saying go cash in now before it’s too late. Dogs aren’t willing to play this game any player is replaceable. There’s only two forwards that are worth anywhere near that much. Payne hass and maybe fisher Harris.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
He isn’t a $850k player. But he would be the 2nd last person you’d be releasing. Followed by burton.

Move Elliot, Jackson, RFM, Waddell, Hetherington. Heck even TPJ before you consider moving Thommo.

Just needs to stop getting suspended. What is it? 7-8 weeks this season? Hopefully none next year because losing a player for 1/3 of the season through injury or suspension can derail a season.
Who wants any of those players? It is what it is. We can't just go back into salary cap hell.

Gus said the other day that our biggest problem is we have too many 400-600K players who just aren't that good that should be min wage or thereabouts trying to make there mark. We just were so bad we overpaid for a load of crap.