Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough one for all the reasons said above, pros and cons.

I can't see a player/manager mouthing off something so blatent as this without consulting the player first before going on record.

Also it has shades of the slash and burn tactics of the Anderson Board. Only one player at this stage (and only speculation) ...but our best forward amongst a very poor bunch.

We'd be left with the plodders and lose the one elite forward we have, at present, to join Vaughan and TPJ next year.

Maybe Gus has others lined up and we'll have to see how it pans out but seems all too familiar a strategy that really badly affected the team, although this time we do have some quality coming in for next year.

There's plenty need to go well before Thommo, on face value, but I guess we'll have to wait as Gus' plan unfolds.
Yep I trust Gus but there is no way we should pay freight. Thommo is overpaid but not by that much. He is worth $650k so it’s not like a Milford or Ash Taylor overpayment.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s some spin that article, It’s shameful, the club/Gus has put Luke in the shop window, the salary cap is a mess, it’s nothing to do with extending his current contract or upping his €725k salary, Andy Clarke (agent) great bloke by the way, has been told to speak with other clubs, there’s a few offers to think over but Luke wants to stay, the lads gutted to be honest, I’d leave you all for the Roosters if I was him and let the dogs pay % of his salary for the pleasure
How the fuck is our cap a mess AGAIN ??

We have had 4 farkin years to fix it !!!!!!

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s some spin that article, It’s shameful, the club/Gus has put Luke in the shop window, the salary cap is a mess, it’s nothing to do with extending his current contract or upping his €725k salary, Andy Clarke (agent) great bloke by the way, has been told to speak with other clubs, there’s a few offers to think over but Luke wants to stay, the lads gutted to be honest, I’d leave you all for the Roosters if I was him and let the dogs pay % of his salary for the pleasure
I’ve heard something different mate, the club wants him to stay at a lower salary, they want to renegotiate the salary… why didn’t you add that ? He is on overs and they are trying to sort out all players that are on overs if he really cares about the club take what you are worth or fuck off. Don’t bad mouth the club and say half a story..

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you Andy Clarke, Actros?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not doubting you, but just curious as to why the club would be doing that when surely there's others that could get the tap on the shoulder first considering he was a marquee signing and is one of the better players in the team? Considering he still has 2 more years on his contract, he's well within his rights to say 'fuck off, i'm staying' and the club cant do anything about it anyway. Other people have posted in this thread saying our cap is fine too, given how many are off contract this year and next year and the administration we have managing salaries as well as the fact the club is still signing players, how can the cap be an issue in all of this?

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can confirm that over 5 players currently at the club are being told to take lower salaries (what they are worth), if they don’t accept the club has said get your value on the market. If players just want to be at our proud club for overs they CAN FUCK OFF

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How the fuck is our cap a mess AGAIN ??

We have had 4 farkin years to fix it !!!!!!
The rule of requiring the spending of 95% of the cap, plus the biggest factor...we have had rank amateurs in recruitment and retention...it's the only answer.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can confirm that over 5 players currently at the club are being told to take lower salaries (what they are worth), if they don’t accept the club has said get your value on the market. If players just want to be at our proud club for overs they CAN FUCK OFF
Like asking players for to take a pay cut will end well..they're being pushed out lol.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
I understand the lopsided cap talk and the need to manage for future recruitment and upgrades, but any talk of paying freight on a move for Luke is just madness.
I’m sure the truth lies somewhere in between but he’s just about to get some much needed help around him, I’d hate to think that he’d sign elsewhere for 2023 and have that hanging over him in 2022.
If there’s much more noise then the club will need to address it, even though plenty will say that they don’t.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If he’s getting paid €725k, we really are fucked - current exchange rate has that at $1,379,000 AUD lol

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve heard something different mate, the club wants him to stay at a lower salary, they want to renegotiate the salary… why didn’t you add that ? He is on overs and they are trying to sort out all players that are on overs if he really cares about the club take what you are worth or fuck off. Don’t bad mouth the club and say half a story..
What a load of bullshit, negotiate a pay reduction wheres that come from ! It’s bollocks
Maybe if we ask Luke he could pay the electric bill at stadium though to help out

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s unfortunate in that the player really wants to stay but Gus is mopping up the shit left from the previous administration and board

Thommo is coming n a lot of money and is the easiest of our current players to move onto another interested club

That creates cap space for us to plug a position/player we desperately need that will influence winning results

I like Thommo but his cards are marked with the officials and getting paid a boat load to sit on the sidelines is not a good investment

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a load of bullshit, negotiate a pay reduction wheres that come from ! It’s bollocks
Maybe if we ask Luke he could pay the electric bill at stadium though to help out
He should be doing a lot more for the club at his pay rate mate. This is all got to do with him taking a pay cut for the betterment of the club. He wants to stay I suggest he accepts it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think we are in danger of going over the cap I think it's all about spending it in a lot more balanced way.
Yeah exactly. We're not under cap pressure but it looks like Gus is projecting figures to upgrade Burton and others while making a serious run at B.Smith and a few other rep calibre players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You said before mate that he left St Helens when he was asked to take a pay cut....so its not likely here really?

You "Liked" a post above mentioning pounds ..not dollars...whats that amount about mate.