Opinion Luke Thompson a bust signing?

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain farnworth came over young and started in qcup so never played super league..but yes he obviously is English. Agree with the players you've listed - Gilardt is too early to tell for me (looks so tiny and has mistakes in his game, but moves well).

Sam Tompkins was a massive bust because they (UK commentary) had him rated on par with lockyer and he clearly wasn't even close.
Hartaker was a massive bust people seem to forget always

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain farnworth came over young and started in qcup so never played super league..but yes he obviously is English. Agree with the players you've listed - Gilardt is too early to tell for me (looks so tiny and has mistakes in his game, but moves well).

Sam Tompkins was a massive bust because they (UK commentary) had him rated on par with lockyer and he clearly wasn't even close.
Yeah the hype around Tomkins was massive. He never got close to justifying the hype or salary

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hartaker was a massive bust people seem to forget always
I don't even remember him.. so clearly a bust!.. plus that overhyped winger that played for roosters a couple of years back.. Ryan hall

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I reckon if a club made a decent offer for him we would release him
If it was to happen we missed the boat last season. Could have offered a trade to Theo Fages before he departed Saints to Huddersfield. I do think Luke is being harshly judged tbh.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If it was to happen we missed the boat last season. Could have offered a trade to Theo Fages before he departed Saints to Huddersfield. I do think Luke is being harshly judged tbh.
He's still playing well, i think its just amount he is on that has his name popping up regularly. Its why Cotric had to go in the end

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's still playing well, i think its just amount he is on that has his name popping up regularly. Its why Cotric had to go in the end
Agree, but getting rid of players like this fixes nothing if we don't fix our real issues in attack. Because then TPJ and Kikau will be the next players under fire because they will be on so much.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is he happy here.
He’s really happy, loves the club, the fans and gets on well with his teammates, the style of play at the minute isn’t to his suiting but then again he did get the Dally M points for the first game. I think he’s played well up to now, but he isn’t been used to his full potential !

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At this point I am more concerned about TPJ TBH one good game from three isn’t a good average for the money he’s on.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
So you value him at $375k, I know he doesn’t need the money but I’d imagine he wouldn’t travel into Manchester for that, let alone the other side of the world and especially reading some of the shite on here
Granted he is overpaid though and he’s not on his own within the NRL, he should have been signed on a 4 year deal at $650k, similiar to what he’s was offered in SL
I agree and this is dead on the money.
He is a fantastic player. Granted a bit misused atm. He is putting in Aiden tolman stats atm but should be used as some sort of strike weapon in broken okay because of speed.
He has good footwork. wouldn’t look out of place in a footloose sequel, speed, and even though I’ll never know I reckon he has a large member.
He only gets criticised because of the price.
He’s always parroted of being on 800k or 850. Reality is he on 750 as you say.
The 700 barrier is when people take notice and demand value.
He signs in at 600 and every **** here would want to suck him off every week and the pressure is off.

I was actually talking to a tigers fan this afternoon on a beer and he was filthy the club couldn’t get him andreckons hes the complete package and wanted Madge to ‘match’ the 800 figure.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah exactly.. I don't think it's just an English thing.. Even more recent players like Whitehead, Sutton, George Williams, Widdop, Luke Thompson and some backs like Herbie Farnworth, Dom Young and Gildart have proven to be solid players in the NRL and don't look out of place..

The most recent bust I can think of in terms of English players would be someone like Sam Tomkins..
Sam Tomkins was actually pretty decent at the Warriors.
He signed for the wrong club because he hates aussies.

he has a good Warriors highlight package on YouTube, but he never got the ball in space to my naked eye.
He goes to the roosters he would poke holes like Swiss cheese. I watched him close enough at the time.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
With Hethro injured it forces him into prop unfortunately,
TPJ just takes that 2nd row spot, that I feel Hethro and Thompson may have switched for a few games this year

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
With Hethro injured it forces him into prop unfortunately,
TPJ just takes that 2nd row spot, that I feel Hethro and Thompson may have switched for a few games this year
I reckon he’d nail second row. I think his skill set is second row or lock but he is comfortable at prop

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon he’d nail second row. I think his skill set is second row or lock but he is comfortable at prop
He could play 80 mins in 2nd row given a few weeks, dudes a machine for sure

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a class forward no doubt. I think we all had big expectations given the impact Bupa had and probably hard for him to reach them last few years in our undermanned team. Throw in his suspensions last year.

I was expecting more this year but that comes down to coaching and the players around him performing and putting him in good positions. He would be unreal off a quick play the ball consistently or even and outside inside ball close to the line but unfortunately our attack is pedestrian and just long shifts side to side or kicks.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
IF he went it would be Cronulla you’d think.
Straight slot in for Fifita who’s fat and he lives in the area