Opinion Luke Thompson a bust signing?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I have seen a big enough sample size of Thompson in the NRL to make a call on his signing and it’s not impressive to be honest.

He is just a average NRL prop that isn’t bad but with the amount of cap space he is soaking up he is a massive issue for our roster management moving forward.

He is being matched by Max King in his role off the bench and would be on 3 to 4 times the amount of money.

I have kept waiting for him to step up but it’s getting more and more obvious that this is all he has. You add this to his trouble with the judiciary and it’s been a mediocre time in the NRL for him.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have seen a big enough sample size of Thompson in the NRL to make a call on his signing and it’s not impressive to be honest.

He is just a average NRL prop that isn’t bad but with the amount of cap space he is soaking up he is a massive issue for our roster management moving forward.

He is being matched by Max King in his role off the bench and would be on 3 to 4 times the amount of money.

I have kept waiting for him to step up but it’s getting more and more obvious that this is all he has. You add this to his trouble with the judiciary and it’s been a mediocre time in the NRL for him.
Waste of $800k king more better sorry to say,has been underwhelming

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think he has regressed since he has been with us.

He had bugger all impact last night. He's a $500k prop. Thats why he has been shopped

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Hetherington injured, I honestly think he's worth a shot there
I don't understand why 117kg TPJ is in 2nd row and 102k Thompson in front row. Surely the biggest boppers should be in the front row and the more mobile forwards in 2nd row. Same goes for Hetherington who was in front row last year, he's too small.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I actually think he has regressed since he has been with us.

He had bugger all impact last night. He's a $500k prop. Thats why he has been shopped
Regressed since he's been benched in favour of Waddell imo... I'd be pissed too.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why 117kg TPJ is in 2nd row and 102k Thompson in front row. Surely the biggest boppers should be in the front row and the more mobile forwards in 2nd row. Same goes for Hetherington who was in front row last year, he's too small.
Yep but the problem is that there is more to playing in the backrow than just speed. You also need good hands and good defensive reads. You look at a lot of the breaks backrowers make. Its normally a result of them catching the ball just before the defensive line.

Hetho has gone ok but still has a bit to go. Thommo would be a disaster as an edge backrower in my opinion

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we paid too much for him
Not really getting value from him at his price tag.
In saying that, if he was on 300k and not hyped as a major signing no one would really care.

I really don't see him as a second rower like some have suggested.

With what we have in our squad, I think I'd rather Jackson in the 2nd row and Thomo as lock.
Based on who we have available I'm our squad right now that is.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
TPJ has been playing middle the last 2 weeks?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well signing anyone from the Super League adds another layer of risk when signing players. Throw on top that we paid top dollar and we were supposedly turning the corner regarding our salary cap I thought it was quite a bizarre signing at the time (Anderson's out of their depth obviously, proof was in the pudding). Thompson did better than I expected and at his best he's worth 700k but you just don't see it enough (which obviously means he isn't worth that amount). I think it's very likely he'll be gone next year.