Official Leniu to depart panthers

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
one head knock from retirement no thx
Worth the risk considering what we have and what's available. If he retires we get it all back in the cap anyways. Brett Kimmorley type signing.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kid has huge wraps on him, has never really kicked on. Like others have said his impact off the bench is great. If he can transition it to 55-60 mins a game starting is a question that has never been answered. Sad to see him not coming to belmore but not the end of the world.

We do have a few guys coming through that can be ready for 1st grade this year or definitely by next year. I have been a Tanner fan for a while. Reminds me of a lesser version of Tolman. Fair enough wont be a rampaging front rower but will make his hit ups and be solid defensivley. If Pangai can step up and lock up a starting prop spot. Then we will need 4-5 younger props to fill the bench spots and be ready in case of injury or suspension. If Thompson has a big year who know he might be extended. Then we have a project in Pele and the likes of Davey and Sutton too.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Spencer Leniu is set to sign with a rival NRL club after the Panthers confirmed the star prop will depart the club at the end of the season.

Leniu has been in talks over his future with the Bulldogs being very interested suitors. However, the Roosters entered the conversation after missing out on Thomas Flegler’s signature.

Leniu has emerged as one of the best props in the game but is stuck behind Penrith’s starters in James Fisher-Harris and Moses Leota.

The 22-year-old has won two premierships with Penrith and represented Samoa in the Rugby League World Cup.

The Bulldogs have already poached Panthers centre Stephen Crichton for 2024 and beyond and are hopeful of landing Leniu too

However, the Roosters are preparing for life after Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and have identified Leniu as their next target.

“Although it’s disappointing to see a Panthers junior sign with another NRL club, we understand Spencer is a premiership winner and international player, who has received external interest,” Panthers’ football manager Matt Cameron said.

“Panthers thanks Spencer for his efforts for the club and is looking forward to seeing him run out for the Panthers for the remainder of the 2023 NRL season.”

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
February 27th, 2023 10:56 am

Still in the chase…

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He would last half a season before getting concussed, no thanks. I can't in my heart sign a player who should already have been forced to retire. He wouldn't be cheap either!
Gus thinks he's a top 5 halfback. He's on reportedly 850k with Rooster and we could probably get them to chip in 100k or so. 2 year contract low risk considering how much we have to spend for 2024 and what's available. From what I'm seeing it's going to be difficult to spend it all. NAS only player really worth pursing off contract now Leniu's gone (and that's 1/3 of what we have to spend).

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus thinks he's a top 5 halfback. He's on reportedly 850k with Rooster and we could probably get them to chip in 100k or so. 2 year contract low risk considering how much we have to spend for 2024 and what's available. From what I'm seeing it's going to be difficult to spend it all. NAS only player really worth pursing off contract now Leniu's gone (and that's 1/3 of what we have to spend).
I wouldn't even want to pay half that amount and that's only if it's for 1 year not 2. These concussions are no joke and he's already had a head knock this season and it's been going what 4 weeks? Rather go after a fullback or a prop than a halfback, we have just signed the Broncos kid.