LEEDS LOOKING TO SIGN SHANE AND KYLE FLANAGAN

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Written by Oliver Kellner-Dunk

Photo by Getty Images

The Leeds Rhinos are one of English Rugby League’s most successful clubs having won 11 league titles, eight of which have come during the Super League era.

When thinking of the club one’s mind may instantly be reminded of their period of dominance between 2007 and 2009 where they won three league titles in a row and boasted players such as Rob Burrow, Kevin Sinfield and Jamie Jones-Buchanan.

Leeds simply dominated the late 2000s and remained one of Super League’s top sides for the majority of the 2010s, being crowned champions for the last time in 2017.

Unfortunately, the Rhinos are a far cry from what they once were as they have missed the finals twice and have only finished as high as fifth since their Grand Final win nearly five years ago.

If things weren’t bad enough it seems 2022 is the year that Leeds has finally hit rock bottom as after seven rounds they sit tied last on the Super League table with the newly promoted Toulouse, having won just one game all season.

Shane and Kyle Flanagan at Cronulla
Head coach Richard Agar recently parted ways with the club and Jamie Jones-Buchanan has stepped up in an interim capacity until a new coach is found.

Leeds’ Chief Executive Officer Gary Hetherington is currently in Australia and on the hunt to find his club’s next coach.

Channel Nine’s The Mole is reporting that he may have found his man and is even willing to bring him to Leeds in a package deal with a player.

“The hottest rumour around the NRL late last week was that the Tigers were poised to sack coach Michael Maguire – and replace him with former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan,” said The Mole.

“I’m hearing that is unlikely to happen, but there is a club in the hunt for Flanagan and son Kyle in a package deal – English Super League outfit Leeds.”

Shane Flanagan has recently rejoined the Dragons as an assistant coach and is continuing to work as a pundit on Fox League’s programming which may make it hard for Hetherington to convince the 2016 NRL premiership-winning coach to make the move over to Leeds.

Kyle Flanagan on the other hand is currently stuck in reserve grade at the Bulldogs and could use this move to revitalise his career.

The Mole is also reporting that Parramatta’s Knock-On Effect NSW Cup coach Ryan Carr is another candidate for the role.

Link: https://everythingrugbyleague.com/leeds-looking-to-sign-shane-and-kyle-flanagan/

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They come as a pair. Daddy/son combo lol, and that’s because Shane is pushing to coach his son. He wants to do what the clearys are.!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least for a change it's a bullshit mole rumour that we hope has some legs.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They come as a pair. Daddy/son combo lol, and that’s because Shane is pushing to coach his son. He wants to do what the clearys are.!!
Kyle may play better when Daddy get's him back on the 'gear'.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
C'mon DD, dont be a buzzkill. Let me dream a little
The Dogs winning a few games this season is too far fetched for me to imagine but this I can see happening
Dreams are free mate, go for it.
I prefer a dose of reality and The Mole has gotten a lot more wrong than he has right, so we’ll see.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good Luck to them. If they can go together as a family and do something in England as father and son and get paid some decent coin then why not. I would love to be in their position with a talent that would probably do well in England and get paid hundreds of thousand of dollars while holidaying and having the opportunity to watch some soccer. Good on them. As much as anyone hates them, they are not murderers. I'm sure they are good people. Good luck

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Interesting. Imo though Leeds need a half like Rob Burrow, running half who was a threat across the park. It's been suprising to see leads plummet down the ladder... But big clubs can eventually fall over there, eg; Bradford Bulls.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good Luck to them. If they can go together as a family and do something in England as father and son and get paid some decent coin then why not. I would love to be in their position with a talent that would probably do well in England and get paid hundreds of thousand of dollars while holidaying and having the opportunity to watch some soccer. Good on them. As much as anyone hates them, they are not murderers. I'm sure they are good people. Good luck
I don’t mind what they do as a father and son I’d just prefer the Bulldogs aren’t playing any part in it.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard there are 2 deals. One with just Shane and one with Shane and Kyle.

The one with Shane and Kyle is a combined $800k per year.

The one where it’s just Shane and he doesn’t bring Kyle with him is $4 million per year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Leeds just tweeted Sezer has been released, swap deal with the flannagans maybe?
Won’t Kyle have trouble getting a working visa over there? I know players in the past have had issues when they haven’t played a certain amount of first grade.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leeds just tweeted Sezer has been released, swap deal with the flannagans maybe?
Sezer doesn’t really run the ball either but I’d take him over the current duds we’ve got running around

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is another reason why Flanagan should stay in Reserves. He can keep playing well at that level to get other clubs interested. If he plays in FG and flops again like last season then the interest quickly disappears.