Leadership issue

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
These off field incidents don’t happen with any regularity at the two clubs that have set the standard for leadership within the playing group over the last decade - Storm and Roosters. And any that do are jumped all over very quickly from within.

It’s not the only reason but it’s one of the reasons they’ve been the heavyweights for so long and until we match them in this regard we’ll just continue to make up the numbers regardless of talent.

It’s not just about captaincy, though Jacko seriously has to be looked at too and if he’s not up to it replaced because captaincy extends off field. But even beyond that we need a core group of half dozen or so players that set the standards of training, behaviour and professionalism for the rest and enforce it internally.

Just doesn’t seem to have been any sort of priority.

Make it one, Gus.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And I tell you, group leadership stocks to fit the above for ‘22 are pretty slim. In the group the only potentials I see are JAC, Thommo, Ava, RFM and Jacko.

I suppose that could be enough but I’d like some more natural born leaders.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only problem with our leadership is that it's nonexistent..

What is worse, is that the bulk majority of players recruited for next year don't fit that mould and come with substantial baggage..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The booze culture was a problem for Baz at Manly. It's been a problem with us for years and has gotten even worse this season. Baz selecting Napa after he missed training was where he lost me. That shows what sort of culture he's building.

Hopefully with Gus at the club now that changes but as @GDR said we've recruited some players who have already been in trouble for dumb shit and are looking at Pearce too.. So we may well have more of these headlines next year.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These off field incidents don’t happen with any regularity at the two clubs that have set the standard for leadership within the playing group over the last decade - Storm and Roosters. And any that do are jumped all over very quickly from within.

It’s not the only reason but it’s one of the reasons they’ve been the heavyweights for so long and until we match them in this regard we’ll just continue to make up the numbers regardless of talent.

It’s not just about captaincy, though Jacko seriously has to be looked at too and if he’s not up to it replaced because captaincy extends off field. But even beyond that we need a core group of half dozen or so players that set the standards of training, behaviour and professionalism for the rest and enforce it internally.

Just doesn’t seem to have been any sort of priority.

Make it one, Gus.
You can tell by the way they play there is no respect at training they just come in like a bunch of 16yo and plod around and laugh with mates. Adam Elliott being a massive culprit. If he carry’s on at training like he does on the field laughing with opposing players then he’s not what we need and I reckon the young blokes follow in those bullshit footsteps. On top of that Melbourne and Rorters are protected species and aren’t hated by the NRL so any off field issue they have is always swept under the rug

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The booze culture was a problem for Baz at Manly. It's been a problem with us for years and has gotten even worse this season. Baz selecting Napa after he missed training was where he lost me. That shows what sort of culture he's building.

Hopefully with Gus at the club now that changes but as @GDR said we've recruited some players who have already been in trouble for dumb shit and are looking at Pearce too.. So we may well have more of these headlines next year.
To be fair with the Napa incident I think that was purely out of lack of options and not wanting to subject any more 18 year olds to what happened against manly Barrett seemed to be filthy with Napa but no one else available to select

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres is a distinct lack of leadership both on the field and off the field.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be fair with the Napa incident I think that was purely out of lack of options and not wanting to subject any more 18 year olds to what happened against manly Barrett seemed to be filthy with Napa but no one else available to select
An example has to be made regardless and we'd been getting thrashed all season with him.. Thompson, Hetherington, Ogden and Renouf were already in the 17 that week so it's not like we had no one. Topine was 18th man so Baz had options.

It was a weak move that set a bad example and message to the players so it's no surprise that we're in this situation now with more boozy antics.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Leadership starts with being judicious in choosing who is part of the club - it is maintained by holding individuals accountable for their actions through fair consequences.
A void of good leadership is quickly filled by the destructive, the negative and the high of instant gratification.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Leadership doesn't necessarily mean experience though I think Burton has leadership potential.

In saying that I agree there is a distinct lack of leadership and control in the playing ranks and coaching side of things.

Gus will certainly help with things off the field but we lack that alpha leader on field and it shows time and time again on and off the field with the players.

The fact Elliott is classified as a senior player and leader tells you everything you need to know where we are at in this department.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apart from leadership there needs to be consequences. As others have mentioned there is none for doing something wrong. If we go into 2022 with Elliott in the team it's going to be very hard to enforce good behavior. If they want to make a statement they should also sack Lewis even though there's only a few rounds left.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look who our coach is, **** doesn't have a clue or ability to lead a playing group. He won't see out his contract.

boysunleashme

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You shouldn’t tell players not to fuck in cubicles in restaurants or sell speakers as a ‘prank’. Players are just stupid, they go off and fuck up no matter how good the leadership is.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

I've been told that Baz is the ringleader in the after training beer sessions and there is a divide in the playing group around those who are part of that group and those not so favoured (or picked) bc of that.

Only a rumour I was told ...but it does explain the total lack of discipline and slack braindead decisions that show very little respect for the coach.

There's no way this is a good roster but there are many, many aspects of first grade standards that could have been shown on the field...and weren't.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
You shouldn’t tell players not to fuck in cubicles in restaurants or sell speakers as a ‘prank’. Players are just stupid, they go off and fuck up no matter how good the leadership is.
No respect for club or coach. Has it been earnt?

Dont think so.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No you're right.
Only explanation is total disregard for any accountability or respect for leadership in the club.

I wont blame Barrett totally bc we have had this type of dumb actions by players for quite some time.

It will take a complete clean out and major shock to these slack players, and coaches, systems to get back on track that we are a professional football team of WINNERS.

It's all up to Gus to demand that.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know Vaughan isn’t known for his leadership. But I’d like to think he’ll step up next year
McGregor was recently asked about him. He said he's a decent bloke but can't really handle any leadership responsibilities. He just needs to be given a simple role in the team and do that without any added pressure.