Leadership issue

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
McGregor was recently asked about him. He said he's a decent bloke but can't really handle any leadership responsibilities. He just needs to be given a simple role in the team and do that without any added pressure.
and that is leadership in itself - one of the worse things you can do is expect someone who doesnt want tobe a leader, or doesnt have the capacity to be a leader, to take on leadership role.
Give him a simple role and hold him accountable to do it

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Baz gets on the booze with players after training.. 80% of the players have to drive home & some travel a distance like Baz himself who lives down south.

Where the likely divide is in my opinion is the players off contract giving up and acting up in Lewis case and those that probably don’t want a bar of Elliot after hooking up with his mates missus earlier in the year. The fact the coach - but also along with the board decided to keep Elliot and came down fairly light on him the first time probably upset a few in the playing group too.

On top of that who are our leaders to choose from? Jacko doesn’t talk a helluva lot on the field, Elliot part of the problem or Hoppa who checked out in round 2.. also dealing with family issues distracted him.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Look who our coach is, **** doesn't have a clue or ability to lead a playing group. He won't see out his contract.
I'm starting to think the same thing. All the successful coaches have a fear factor about them that make them scared to disappoint . Not sure if Barrett has that.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Do you think if Elliot was at roosters he wouldn’t drink and fuck around. Of course he would because he is an idiot, it’s a personal thing.
I agree hes a tool of the highest order.
At the roosters they wouldnt have a bar of it.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Baz gets on the booze with players after training.. 80% of the players have to drive home & some travel a distance like Baz himself who lives down south.

Where the likely divide is in my opinion is the players off contract giving up and acting up in Lewis case and those that probably don’t want a bar of Elliot after hooking up with his mates missus earlier in the year. The fact the coach - but also along with the board decided to keep Elliot and came down fairly light on him the first time probably upset a few in the playing group too.

On top of that who are our leaders to choose from? Jacko doesn’t talk a helluva lot on the field, Elliot part of the problem or Hoppa who checked out in round 2.. also dealing with family issues distracted him.

Yes we have very few leaders, but where is the committment to the dogs by the all the players to pull the youngsters, the drunkards and the covid breachers into line? We need players that give a fuck about the club to pull the idiots aside and tell them to wake up to themselves.

As bad as things were in the Desley years, I don't remember the complete lack of respect for the club (apart from the little shit FB bashing his missus) when Bupa was around.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes we have very few leaders, but where is the committment to the dogs by the all the players to pull the youngsters, the drunkards and the covid breachers into line? We need players that give a fuck about the club to pull the idiots aside and tell them to wake up to themselves.

As bad as things were in the Desley years, I don't remember the complete lack of respect for the club (apart from the little shit FB bashing his missus) when Bupa was around.
Yeah 100% mate. Bupa was a true leader. Even Franky Pritchard was a leader and role model to the poly players. We had Mick Ennis who set the standard for fitness and commitment to training. I’m just thinking who are going to be our leaders next year and going forward?

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
McGregor was recently asked about him. He said he's a decent bloke but can't really handle any leadership responsibilities. He just needs to be given a simple role in the team and do that without any added pressure.
Yeah I remember that on the Matty Johns show. I think he even said he didn’t want any leadership roles? I’d like to think after being sacked he’ll come back with us with a point to prove. You’d think he’d want to show he has matured as a person after what happened. He’s one player I’m really excited to watch run around for us next year. We should of signed him when he left Raiders. He doesn’t necessarily have to have a massive role, just lead from the front with his actions and mentor a few of the younger props at the club.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You have to have vaughn, he is the social director

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know the playing group personally but as far as leadership goes there is Jackson, Thommo. Nobody else sticks out like a leader.
We have lost people that set high standards or professionalism as far as work rate goes with the likes of Klemmer Tolman, Graham the Morris’s, Foran etc. We need a couple that lead like finucane,Yeo,Twal, JFH, Barnett, Murray, McGinness Bromwich etc

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke Thompson's is the real leader of our forward pack, however I would love to see Jackson Topine become the future lock and captain of our team. Yes, he's only a kid still and he has plenty to learn and grow as a footballer but by all accounts he's very professional on and off the field, and he's a beast at training with a positive never say die attitude.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Hopoate is probably the only leader but he checked out not playing in his preferred position (FB) and knowing he was not going to be kept.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a shame we didn't pinch Ryan James. Good talker on the paddock.
Yea he be a good one to keep, has been good for us, and would work well with Vaughn and the new recruits in 22, got some punch about him too..!!

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
This year has just been the perfect shit-storm for a leadership void.

Jacko - Tries hard but can’t do it alone.
Hoppa - Checked out.
RFM - Injury, can’t stay on the field.
Thommo - Suspension, can’t stay on the field.
Elliott - Lost cause, can’t stay on the field.

who the fuck else we got to lead this shit sandwich?

Let’s just reboot next year, clench our arse-cheeks and hope for the best.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The booze culture was a problem for Baz at Manly. It's been a problem with us for years and has gotten even worse this season. Baz selecting Napa after he missed training was where he lost me. That shows what sort of culture he's building.

Hopefully with Gus at the club now that changes but as @GDR said we've recruited some players who have already been in trouble for dumb shit and are looking at Pearce too.. So we may well have more of these headlines next year.
Mate put it this way the drinking culture is so bad a former player who is now COACH, had to be picke up of the floor by the taxi driver back in 99 for being so drunk, he though he was sleeping on his bed when he was sleeping on the concrete floor outside the leagues club. Don’t ask how I know will just leave it here lol

• Haha
Reactions: jof

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The booze culture was a problem for Baz at Manly. It's been a problem with us for years and has gotten even worse this season. Baz selecting Napa after he missed training was where he lost me. That shows what sort of culture he's building.

Hopefully with Gus at the club now that changes but as @GDR said we've recruited some players who have already been in trouble for dumb shit and are looking at Pearce too.. So we may well have more of these headlines next year.
Has this Napa incident been confirmed? Or is it just a kennel rumour?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These off field incidents don’t happen with any regularity at the two clubs that have set the standard for leadership within the playing group over the last decade - Storm and Roosters. And any that do are jumped all over very quickly from within.

It’s not the only reason but it’s one of the reasons they’ve been the heavyweights for so long and until we match them in this regard we’ll just continue to make up the numbers regardless of talent.

It’s not just about captaincy, though Jacko seriously has to be looked at too and if he’s not up to it replaced because captaincy extends off field. But even beyond that we need a core group of half dozen or so players that set the standards of training, behaviour and professionalism for the rest and enforce it internally.

Just doesn’t seem to have been any sort of priority.

Make it one, Gus.
We have blokes like Elliott in the leadership group and the club wonders why we are coming dead last lol . Please Gus fix this

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a shame we didn't pinch Ryan James. Good talker on the paddock.
We called for it @Kempsey Dog and I a year back but we also acknowledged he was a risk coming off 2 consecutive knee recos.

Considering he was a captain and borderline origin player he was worth the risk and exactly what we needed in regards to leadership....

I thought the raiders signed him on a 1 year deal though?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We called for it @Kempsey Dog and I a year back but we also acknowledged he was a risk coming off 2 consecutive knee recos.

Considering he was a captain and borderline origin player he was worth the risk and exactly what we needed in regards to leadership....

I thought the raiders signed him on a 1 year deal though?
I think he is on a deal similar to Pearce for 2022. He is definitely the sort of bloke our new pack needs.