Lack of Grunt

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sharks are top 4 certainties. Wouldn't be too concerned about them beating us. Nobody expects us to beat top 4 sides yet. Sharks were relentless. There wont be harder games than that
Except that I think we play six of the top sides in our start to the season. That will leave us on zero points, when the others are at least on 4 or 6 points ahead of us.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't doubt the effort from some, but we still have that same problem of lack of concentration, lack of fitness, and playing panic ball when cooler heads are needed.
Yeah I think there needs to be a stronger rhythm but we were very underdone. Some guys playing their first game in months and I think the heat and the training sesh the day before played a factor. I expect we’ll be a lot better in the coming weeks. It was a good reality check.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think there needs to be a stronger rhythm but we were very underdone. Some guys playing their first game in months and I think the heat and the training sesh the day before played a factor. I expect we’ll be a lot better in the coming weeks. It was a good reality check.
Don't dismiss the Belmore curse. Real or imagined, it has a history of defeats for the Dogs.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't dismiss the Belmore curse. Real or imagined, it has a history of defeats for the Dogs.
It’s concerning mate but I’m not going to cry over a trial loss. My expectations are pretty level. I think we’ll win more games than last year. I don’t see us competing with top 4 or 5 sides this year.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need more out of RFM.. he's a bigger body but all I recall is him running sideways... we just need a few blokes who can make good consistent meters because once Sharks started winning the battle, we tried to slow the ruck and ended up giving away a lot of penalties.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need more out of RFM.. he's a bigger body but all I recall is him running sideways... we just need a few blokes who can make good consistent meters because once Sharks started winning the battle, we tried to slow the ruck and ended up giving away a lot of penalties.
It was the biggest concern for me after the trial. He’s been given the honour of club captain, so I assume he’s less likely to be dropped. All day he made soft hitups and never threatened. We need more.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was the biggest concern for me after the trial. He’s been given the honour of club captain, so I assume he’s less likely to be dropped. All day he made soft hitups and never threatened. We need more.
Yeah, and that drop off from Flanno to RFM gets eaten up by defenders.. he's got a bit of power about him, but he certainly is no Kikau... At least Burton is likely to be more involved come round one.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s concerning mate but I’m not going to cry over a trial loss. My expectations are pretty level. I think we’ll win more games than last year. I don’t see us competing with top 4 or 5 sides this year.
Yeah I know what you’re saying, but instead of being belted by the top 4 or 5 sides this year, I expect we compete well against them. Perhaps not win, but give a good strong account of ourselves, for more than just the first 10-15 minutes. That collapse in the middle 50-60 minutes was concerning.
Yeah ok it was hot and some guys were short of a gallop, but the same might also apply to the Sharks. No one really tried to stand up and show leadership amidst the carnage. We were largely dominated, back peddling, leading to 6 agains for the sharks and we fell away badly. Everyone was looking at each other. Too many old patterns re-emerged. Disturbingly familiar. CC has a lot of work to do in 2 weeks.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely.
I worked many years in large corporate organisations. I was constantly reminded that trying hard, each of us doing lotza work, was not enough unless the TEAM achieved results. Every time we had a poor outcome, it was never due to lack of effort of many individuals. It was always due to our team not having one clear objective & goal set by the leadership, following a common clearly defined strategy & process within each function, that the whole team bought into at the start. That still looked missing on Sunday. Everyone trying hard but the plan went “out the window after 15 minutes” under stress. Supposed Leaders did not lead by example at all.
I know it was a trial, but I wait to see performance in rounds 1-5 before I believe.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely.
I worked many years in large corporate organisations. I was constantly reminded that trying hard, each of us doing lotza work, was not enough unless the TEAM achieved results. Every time we had a poor outcome, it was never due to lack of effort of many individuals. It was always due to our team not having one clear objective & goal set by the leadership, following a common clearly defined strategy & process within each function, that the whole team bought into at the start. That still looked missing on Sunday. Everyone trying hard but the plan went “out the window after 15 minutes” under stress. Supposed Leaders did not lead by example at all.
I know it was a trial, but I wait to see performance in rounds 1-5 before I believe.

Hopefully it was a blessing in disguise in that Ciraldo realises what the main problems are before the season starts.. hopefully also it can just be put down to the weather and a few cobwebs... Sharks were super clinical though, they gave us nothing!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We begin to see our lack of depth before this week’s Rd 1 game.
Take two forwards out - TPJ & Thompson and we look light.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we've still got Billy Tsikrikas, who at worst is stable and will make his tackles, etc.. I'm also wondering why Morrin appears to be on the outta.... I thought he was decent when he played fg last year.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
we've still got Billy Tsikrikas, who at worst is stable and will make his tackles, etc.. I'm also wondering why Morrin appears to be on the outta.... I thought he was decent when he played fg last year.
morrin is too small in the current pack

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
lodge would be on $600k easily
Warrior paying basically his whole contract, big reason why he's happy to stay at Rooster and not even have top 30 contract currently