Lack of Grunt

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Ever since commentators ad hominem droning on about the world's biggest pack, back in the era of Kasiano, Frank the Tank, Klemmer, Tony Williams, Graham and such we have had rule changes and interpretations that sped up the game.
Whether by design or roster calamity we have gradually watered down not only the pack but the whole team in terms of size and power in favour of mobility and endurance, the second of which is still lacking anyways. It is obvious to most of us we are continually on the back foot year after year in this regard.

For this year, obvious to most of us we would miss Paul Vaughn's metres. We also compounded that by releasing Schoupp who was reliable in punching out yards from our own end.

Non of the current crop of forwards are reliable at even 100 metres a game let alone the 140-160 that top tier metre eaters attain on average.
This is exacerbated by the underwhelming metres the back 5 are capable of. I would be reshuffling to fit Skelton in asap we need a bigger body and better start to our sets.

I imagine there was a thought process that Mahoneys service would put the pack on the front foot and that will make up the deficit. In all likelihood that will happen when the timing improves consistently. But even when that happens we will still be an undersized pack and in what era have the Bulldogs dominated without a big dog pack? Even the entertainers had hitmen.

Pele and TPJ have the ingredients we are lacking however are not reliable or consistent.

Time for Gus to break bank and give the Bulldogs what the Bulldogs have always been known for. An intimidating pack of forwards.

Last edited:

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since commentators ad hominem droning on about the the world's biggest pack, back in the era of Kasiano, Frank the Tank, Klemmer, Tony Williams, Graham and such we have had rule changes and interpretations that sped up the game.
Whether by design or roster calamity we have gradually watered down not only the pack but the whole team in terms of size and power in favour of mobility and endurance, the second of which is still lacking anyways. It is obvious to most of us we are continually on the back foot year after year in this regard.

For this year, obvious to most of us we would miss Paul Vaughn's metres. We also compounded that by releasing Schoupp who was reliable in punching out yards from our own end.

Non of the current crop of forwards are reliable at even 100 metres a game let alone the 140-160 that top tier metre eaters attain on average.
This is exacerbated by the underwhelming metres the back 5 are capable of. I would be reshuffling to fit Skelton in asap we need a bigger body and better start to our sets.

I imagine there was a thought process that Mahoneys service would put the pack on the front foot and that will make up the deficit. In all likelihood that will happen when the timing improves consistently. But even when that happens we will still be an undersized pack and in what era have the Bulldogs dominated without a big dog pack? Even the entertainers had hitmen.

Pele and TPJ have the ingredients we are lacking however are not reliable or consistent.

Time for Gus to break bank and give the Bulldogs what the Bulldogs have always been known for. An intimidating pack of forwards.
Great post .... been obvious for a while hasn't it.

We lack that big bopper to create some momentum, big time.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Great post .... been obvious for a while hasn't it.

We lack that big bopper to create some momentum, big time.
Cheers mate. It's pissed me off for so long. It's amazing what a bigger bopper who draws 3-4 defenders in every other tackle and still pops an offload or gets a quick ptd can do for your halves.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Preston rips in. We will eventually get more minutes out of Pele as well, who always looks likely... we missed an opportunity to make a play for Nichols who was very good for Souths last year. I would like to see how we go when we're not giving penalties and set restarts away in every set, but not great signs!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preston rips in. We will eventually get more minutes out of Pele as well, who always looks likely... we missed an opportunity to make a play for Nichols who was very good for Souths last year. I would like to see how we go when we're not giving penalties and set restarts away in every set, but not great signs!
Gus mentioned at the AGM today that extending Preston was a priority.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a breath of fresh air... at least there is still some hope for the future with young players like him in the squad.
Future is bright mate .... we will be MUCH better next season.

Still have plenty of players on the books who are not up to scratch.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Grunt is a problem yes but I’m more concerned about lack of creativity in the spine. Hard to see here the points will come from again this year.
= points will be a problem once again. Your correct lol.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t think our pack was too bad considering losing Kiks and not having TPJ. Thommo was excellent, and Sutton and King were decent. RFM really didn’t do much which is a worry considering he’s club captain. Why the hell he stayed on so long I don’t understand. Pele and Preston were decent, but still raw.

You have to remember who the opposition were. Their whole lineup is hardly unchanged, so it was just business as usual for them. Rudolf, BHU, Nikora, McInnes and Finucane are all very experienced and hardened. Wilton has a year or two solid experience and is strong.

As for the game as a whole, we were beaten on experience mostly. Sharks have a full season with that team being together and finishing 2nd on the ladder iirc, and even longer for the backline which has been unchanged for 2 or 3 years. Our rearranged backline with a guy who hasn’t played a single NRL game and an inexperienced fullback and right flank, really showed.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Schoupp had that dog in him. Would have liked to see how him and Reynolds would have went on the right edge together lol