Opinion Kyle Flanagan

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He defense has definitely improved, but his running game and general kicking are only marginally better. He is better than last year though

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see his improvement in recent weeks and I'm happy for him cos his confidence was clearly shot. Still too slow to be any real threat IMO.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Slight observation I’ve made about Kyle is it seems as if his rebuilding his game from the basics and not trying to rush things. His overall decision making and general play has improved, although it’s baby steps wouldn’t mind seeing him get a bit more ball to assess where his actually at. Ignoring all prior criticism of Kyle and viewing his game openly based of the last few weeks if we can’t bring a halfback for 23 he may be the best option. I get the vibe he’s entirely a confidence player, we’re winning games now and competing the full 80 and his getting game time now finally. Who knows could end up shaping into a good half with the right coaching and good players beside him next year.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanno's defence has been really good, he scrambles well and he is part of a tighter defensive combination on our right edge now compared to when our defence was pathetic down that side

He has been involved in some of our great tries this year but more through backing up rather than creating

Going forward though we need more than what he provides with the ball in hand. The inside ball to Waddell is very predictable as well as the pass out the back which seems to be his only 2 options

We need more attacking spark down that side and someone who can at least create a bit of doubt in the defense or take the line on and put guys into gaps. The way our edges are shaping up next year we are going to have strike all over the park but need a number 7 that can ignite that better than Flanagan. We also need a second kicker to take pressure off Burton

I have been impressed with BBO in reserves and he definitely plays with better shape and draws the defense more and maybe if we can't land a number 7 for next year, hopefully BBO gets a chance and if that doesn't work out we go all out for a top 7 in 2024

Either way Flanno has improved out of sight compared to where he was this time last year

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wish we gave him the grubber to in goal, the biggest problem in that game is we didn’t create repeat sets, no pressure on defence, we are scoring from far out. Hope someone can see burton long kicks and high, but flanno should do short game and then we have a few strings to our bow. But we’ve only had this coach for a short time. The player can only grow with time. Barret fucked that

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely improving but still a fair bit off where he needs to be. Good to see him digging into the line more and taking it on. His short kicking game needs work. Long kicking game doesn’t exist.

Strengths are his defence, support play and passing accuracy.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s gone from fucking shit, to serviceable foil for Burton. Wont win a comp with him there, but he knows his job now and does it well. Nothing more nothing less. Would help us a lot if he decided to get a decent kicking game though

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's playing better but he's still non existent as a running threat and doesn't engage defenders anywhere near enough.
Agreed. If I can add : Solid defender . Solid passer of the ball. Solid support runner. no X factor. doesn’t scare the opposition .

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan seems to be improving each week. Not massive steps but can’t complain if he’s heading in the right direction. Maybe Potter hasn’t over complicated what he wants from him. I previously heard that one of the problems with Baz was he over complicated what he wanted from his players and they couldn’t execute it on the field. I personally think Flanno needs to bulk up and that would help him when the opposition target him. He looks like he’s enjoying being the team, so maybe confidence is something he is growing with too. We’ve got him until the end of 2023 - so who knows what he could become if he works hard. The more he teams with Burton the more things will gel too. Fingers crossed.