KO Debut

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo not phased by embattled Bulldog's poor form

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has thrown his support behind rookie five-eighth Karl Oloapu, as frustration over his form continues to mount.

Since debuting for the club's first grade side off the bench against St George Illawarra, the talented but inexperienced rookie has failed to make a noticeable impact on the team's attack.

But rookie coach Ciraldo said the young half was doing everything asked of him.

"People have to remember Karl is only 19," Ciraldo told reporters.

"Nobody is expecting him to play good footy at his age, all we can ask is that he focuses on the basics of not being Kyle Flanagan."

Oloapu was fast tracked into the Bulldogs side in Round 9, after constant media criticism over the form of halfback Kyle Flanagan proved to be an unwanted disruption to Ciraldo's ego.

While he admitted to being initially annoyed by the constant scrutiny, Ciraldo said he had found some unexpected upsides to allowing the media to coach his team for him.

"Now that reporters are running the footy side of things, it gives me a lot more time to make sure my hair is right for press conferences and media interviews," he enthused.

Karl Oloapu not going back to Cup any time soon. @Mr 95% @ASSASSIN @Nate DAWG @Berries @Doogie @Villian @04 Dreaming
You lost me at your opening line - "embattled Bulldog's poor form" is weapons grade dribbling. Any decent coach is going to send out a rookie with a standing instruction to play safe, mistake-free football, and put away the miracle plays until he has earned the right to attempt them. KO is playing exactly how Ciraldo wants him to, and looks better than Flange ever did.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Or he could just go with the proven performer and pick me.

By waste of space I don't mean he has nothing to offer long term.... but he really hasn't contributed to our attack in any meaningful way and it's pretty obvious he needs more time in Cup.
Flanagan wouldn’t have made a difference TBH, Needs to grow some balls and take the line on and stop passing it on the last . Flanagan should take control and back himself, honestly he looks scared when playing.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Agree he has been underwhelming and like Flano his defence has been good keeping him in the team. So far in 2023 our non Burton half has the grand total of 1 line break 0 tries, 0 try assists and 0 line break assists from 13 games played...Crazy!

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree he has been underwhelming and like Flano his defence has been good keeping him in the team. So far in 2023 our non Burton half has the grand total of 1 line break 0 tries, 0 try assists and 0 line break assists from 13 games played...Crazy!
And there is the problem we have no one to put there hand up and take control.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You lost me at your opening line - "embattled Bulldog's poor form" is weapons grade dribbling. Any decent coach is going to send out a rookie with a standing instruction to play safe, mistake-free football, and put away the miracle plays until he has earned the right to attempt them. KO is playing exactly how Ciraldo wants him to, and looks better than Flange ever did.
What are you Oloapu backers smoking? Attempting to engage the line isn't miracle play territory....it's just basic half functionality. Flanagan at least attempted to do it in every match....in some cases it produced results. Two tries in the Melbourne game resulted from Flanagan engaging defenders. Karl literally just stands there in the line and distributes the ball. Sorry, but igf you think he looks better than Flano, you're clearly still watching the game with your Flano hate goggles on. Oloapu makes Flano look like Andrew Johns at this stage.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What are you Oloapu backers smoking? Attempting to engage the line isn't miracle play territory....it's just basic half functionality. Flanagan at least attempted to do it in every match....in some cases it produced results. Two tries in the Melbourne game resulted from Flanagan engaging defenders. Karl literally just stands there in the line and distributes the ball. Sorry, but igf you think he looks better than Flano, you're clearly still watching the game with your Flano hate goggles on. Oloapu makes Flano look like Andrew Johns at this stage.
Flanno isn’t the answer end of story

Oloapu hasn’t impressed on attack as yet but he also gets far less good ball touches than Flanno used to get

Karl probably needs a stint in reserves but fk Flanno playing halves ever again in dogs colours

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aside from Flanno(who will never play 7 again in fg for us imo)WHO would you play there cuzzygun?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Oloapu hasn’t impressed on attack as yet but he also gets far less good ball touches than Flanno used to get

Karl probably needs a stint in reserves but fk Flanno playing halves ever again in dogs colours
Lol oh come on, I'm sure Ciraldo is not instructing hin to not touch the ball... if that's his plan he may as well just play one half and an extra forward.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last two games ko seems to have kicked more, haven't checked stats but seems that way. I don't know whether he is playing to strict instructions or doesn't want to run but he he needs to be running when he gets the ball. Continually receives it flat footed and shovels it. May be a club philosophy, play a limited game in attack. Alamoti does very little apart from yardage runs with the occasional ball playing from inside his own 20.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If not Flano, it has to be Rajab, doesn't it. And if not Rajab, they might as well play another forward, because Oloapu is doing nothing.
OK thats quite reasonable, I think he might get a crack actually unsure when I'll ring CC later see if I can get some "oil" lolza!

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people need to lower their expectations on Karl. It’s tough playing week to week first grade footy, let along for an 18 year old who’s playing on a pretty average team. His effort last week wasn’t there, not to the standard it should be in first grade but I hope he learns from that. He will have his coming out game this season at some point, he’s been grinding it out for the most part. Just be patient with him.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think people need to lower their expectations on Karl. It’s tough playing week to week first grade footy, let along for an 18 year old who’s playing on a pretty average team. His effort last week wasn’t there, not to the standard it should be in first grade but I hope he learns from that. He will have his coming out game this season at some point, he’s been grinding it out for the most part. Just be patient with him.
Agree mate.
Is only 3 starting games into it I think and 3 bench runs before that, this is getting treated as development under fire but without great expectations or pressure from those that matter..our coaches.
Will they give him a break in the next month or so?Im not sure .

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I’d like him to get the ball and take on the line with some purpose, that stop and jink sh!t he’s used to because he’s generally been stronger than his opponents isn’t working at NRL level, even his draw and pass game is off at the moment - it’s all about confidence at his age and feeling like he belongs, when that happens, he’ll have his break out game. We have to stick by him and give him every opportunity to succeed - early days.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I see similarities
Yes yes..I see they are playing at cJohn’s Newcastle’s home ground..

IMG_5669.jpeg
But seriously one game does not maketh a season..

Last edited: