Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So essentially we have saved about 800k and tightened our defence . . . That's a win win imo
We are certainly spending less. No one is going to rate King/Knight as a starting prop combo, but that isn't the point of this thread as I see it. Let's not have any illusions about our front row, it still sucks. But what we were expecting last year verse what we got is probably going to turn out to be worse in hindsight.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not really sure what is controversial about the assertion that King/Knight will be better than than Thommo/TPJ. This time last year we were looking forward to a starting prop pair of Thommo and TPJ, and look what we got. Out of a possible 48 games between them we got 21, they are both gone now, mostly because of bad luck in the first case, and bad attitude in the second. King and Knight are at least going to turn up and play. King was injured most of the season but missed only 1 game. Knight turned up once the season was more than halfway over and played 10. When it comes to errors and penalties:

King/Knight in 33 games = 16 errors and penalties
Thommo/TPJ in 21 games = 20 errors and penalties.

The assertion is saying more about how big a let down the prospective Thommo/TPJ pairing was.
5 of Liam Knights 10 NRL games were played with Souths.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are certainly spending less. No one is going to rate King/Knight as a starting prop combo, but that isn't the point of this thread as I see it. Let's not have any illusions about our front row, it still sucks. But what we were expecting last year verse what we got is probably going to turn out to be worse in hindsight.
Our tackling last year was pathetic though explainable considering half the squad was reserve standard. Whilst I’m not expecting much impact in attack all I want is 13 players capable of doing their defensive duties. Will win a few more even with the state of our middle if we can be harder to break down. Second halves will be our issue our bench simply won’t match it against most packs late game.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good call, I don't know then how many errors and pens and missed tackles belong to his 5 games with us.
By his own admission Knight was sacked by the Sea Eagles, Roosters & Raiders for alcohol abuse & only managed 24 games in his last 3 seasons at Souths due to injury he believes he has had a somewhat wasted career. I believe he will have a big year because at almost 29 the Bulldogs are his last chance saloon.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By his own admission Knight was sacked by the Sea Eagles, Roosters & Raiders for alcohol abuse & only managed 24 games in his last 3 seasons at Souths due to injury he believes he has had a somewhat wasted career. I believe he will have a big year because at almost 29 the Bulldogs are his last chance saloon.
Yeah this is it for him. Hopefully he can get it together and the club puts the right supports around him. With a relatively clear mind and a good attitude he has the ability to fill a role at first grade level.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Did you catch him out on Christmas Day helping out with the Laundy breakfast for the less fortunate?
Only player I noticed there (and wouldn’t expect them to do it). Does say a bit about his mindset I think.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can cope and spin it anyway you like saving 800k but we are going to get destroyed up front and it will be seen in defence more than attack

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can cope and spin it anyway you like saving 800k but we are going to get destroyed up front and it will be seen in defence more than attack
Maybe so but it won't be becasue we lost Thompson and TPJ, for different reasons, they were totally useless and we are no worse off without them.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knight didn't join us until July and as result had zero pre season.

Of our bigger bodies Patolo 185/110 only played 2 NRL games last season and Hughes 193/110 only played 5 games. Hopefully they will be available for many more games this season.

Always a Bulldog
Patolo is constantly concussed, hasn’t shown much when he has been fit, hughes hasn’t really shown anything either way yet, i hope all the young middles go well, but i fear for us this season. never seen a pack get rolled like we did last year and it’s only gotten weaker imo

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where is...

Poasa Faamuasili?

No one on here rates him as a signing including myself. If you look at his attributes he is probably our 3rd best prop given he has first grade experience.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh Sutton needs to step up after a shocking year.

King hopefully stays healthy as he is quality even if not elite. Knight needs to stay on the park as with those 3 it’s not dogshit at least.

Hopefully Hughes punch’s out a great year like Preston did bursting into the scenes and we can make do for a decent season if kikau Preston and Curran and the backs stay fit with Mahoney.
Meanwhile I said this almost 2 weeks ago Marley [emoji23]

Maybe next time read the words said properly.

I don’t rate the **** just said he’s showed something. Which he has.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Meanwhile I said this almost 2 weeks ago Marley [emoji23]

Maybe next time read the words said properly.

I don’t rate the **** just said he’s showed something. Which he has.
Most NRL players have "showed something", that's why they play in the NRL. Stop backtracking, blokes a plodder.