Kevin Moore, 2010 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
General discussion on match form, selections, training, things you believe we should/should not be doing with our current squad, and anything else regarding Kevin Moore throughout season 2010.

Also an appreciation thread if you wish. :grinning:

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Alright experts.

What tactics should Moore employ to get us over the line v Dragons?

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Drop Nanai which is a given, and clean up the errors.

New Bulldogs policy: -10% from the weeks pay cheque for each error, that might help the guys pay attention :grinning:

Given we're the under dogs this week there isn't much risk of the players being complacent so that should make for a big improvement on last week.

(have someone belt Soward..... not needed to win the game, but it is owing to him)

MikeG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With this new "Down-town" rule - Soward will be ripe for the picking. He is standing MUCH flatter on last these days....

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Run traffic at Soward ALL NIGHT!

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
With this new "Down-town" rule - Soward will be ripe for the picking. He is standing MUCH flatter on last these days....
Explain this Down-town rule to me?

Yes, I have been hiding under a rock.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Once again, I personally believe he got it wrong tonight.

You have to play tactics according to the team that you're playing, and not just expect the same thing to work every week. A grinding game was always going to suit the Dragons. Why didn't we look to play an attacking game? It's quite clear that the Dragons would struggle when behind on the scoreboard, considering they play a cagey game.

If we put a couple of tries on the board in the first half by using the ball, it'd force the Dragons to expand their game, and play outside their brand of footy.

As much as I admire Moore and what he's done for the club, I think he could do a little more.

D

dogs_4 lyf

lol if we are conceding soft tries against the dragons we know we are ****ed.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Once again, I personally believe he got it wrong tonight.

You have to play tactics according to the team that you're playing, and not just expect the same thing to work every week. A grinding game was always going to suit the Dragons. Why didn't we look to play an attacking game? It's quite clear that the Dragons would struggle when behind on the scoreboard, considering they play a cagey game.

If we put a couple of tries on the board in the first half by using the ball, it'd force the Dragons to expand their game, and play outside their brand of footy.

As much as I admire Moore and what he's done for the club, I think he could do a little more.
Agree with you.

The Dragons, and every other side now for that matter know, they can get the jump on us early in matches, because we are so conservative and predictable in the opening exchanges, it's unlikely we'll hurt them offensively.

They played a different style of footy to last week where they looked to offload from the kick off. Whereas last week they made sure Parra didn't the sniff off a dropped ball all game, because they are so dangerous.

Tonight's coaching performance was the master vs the pupil.

Hope Kevvie learns fast, 'cause it looks like his dishing up Folksie's old game plans in recent times....damn his prss conference reminded me of Folkes as well.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
We have the players to play an attacking brand of football, yet we don't. Our defense is more than suspect, so you gotta make up for that in attack.

FMD, use the ball for once in your lives. Everyone just stands flat. I watched a fair portion of the Rabbits game, and they throw it around because they can. And you know what? They look dangerous, even though they didn't win.

Moore has seriously gotta change something around for next week, as I don't see the current line-up working for us.

4. Roberts
6. Barba

14. Idris (for some impact - he's not an 80min player)

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i said roberts should be playing centre last year and i got epically shut down saying he isnt a centre :p

still hold those views. His best position is a centre, most likely not with the bulldogs though. We can get better

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I've said it ever since he stepped into FG, Hani.

He has 1 good game out out 10 at 5/8th. I don't care if the halfback contributes to that - it is fact.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tadpole got it all wrong Friday night. I don't think he has a great variety with his tactics, pretty simple. 4 hit ups then spread it and hope Idris or Morris can do something with it. The only time we looked dangerous was when Morris or Jamal or Barba got the ball and were creating chances by themselves.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Give Idris a run in a backline that plays with depth and you will forget about Roberts playing in the centres.

Every time Idris gets the pill from deep he runs around em and makes a break

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Give Idris a run in a backline that plays with depth and you will forget about Roberts playing in the centres.

Every time Idris gets the pill from deep he runs around em and makes a break
The problem with Jamal in those situations there is he always takes his time to get to full speed when he does get the ball. So while every back wants space and to stand deep, he needs it deep because he always does some little slow shuffle as he gets the ball which allows the defence to smash him and coverge on him as soon as he gets the ball in close quarters.

It's really detrimental to his game and our plight and he needs to get it coached out of him. He needs to be hitting holes and coming onto the ball at full pace all the time, even if we aren't as deep as we should be.

But I agree with Slip, we haven't played with anywhere near enough depth in attack or used the ball enough the first two games.

And can someone please explain why, oh why, Tadpole just doesn't get our team to ever, ever have any line speed in defence? Ever? We let the opposition get 8 metres before we get to them. We did this last year too. And it's not like our defence was great last year. So if defence was the focus this off season, where the f**k is the intensity and line speed?

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Agree re: idris taking metres to accelerate to full speed and another poor tactic is always passing to him on the inside where defenders are. If they're running deep and wide draw and pass ffs. it's one of the simplest and most effective plays in RL.

Does anyone think there is any value in trying Idris on wing and Roberts at centre? I haven't seen enough from urner so far and it's either that or put JTK on the wing. Not just yet mind you. Only 2 games in and they have played some good fotty in patches but like Bobcat said, they've also played dumb and with all the errors, they've struggled.

I'm not too concerned over Moore's tactics yet. Am I correct in him starting Hickey instead of Gordon the other night? It was a good idea but failed because as often has been the case, we try to beat teams in the forwards instead of using our strength which is now backs. maybe it's going to take some time for a long-time bulldog like tadpole to realise this as our strength has almost always been our forwards and defence.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we try to beat teams in the forwards instead of using our strength which is now backs. maybe it's going to take some time for a long-time bulldog like tadpole to realise this as our strength has almost always been our forwards and defence.
How things have changed eh !

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
He obviously got the boys to chance their arm today. I'm glad he identified the problem we were having in attack.

When we use the ball, we're out our best. I hope that style of play continues.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Focusing on Roberts side of attack this week payed dividends. Actually holding onto the ball and running onto it at full pace always helps.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He obviously got the boys to chance their arm today. I'm glad he identified the problem we were having in attack.

When we use the ball, we're out our best. I hope that style of play continues.
We have to go forward before we can throw the ball around. The last 2 weeks we have been way too slow and have been dominated around the rucks. Today we played much more direct (like all the quick scoots out of dummy half) and that opened things up for us to throw the ball around.

Status
Not open for further replies.