Kennel Quoted in the Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Riot squads for Bulldogs matches
March 22, 2006 - 2:42PM

A riot squad will be among 150 police officers enforcing a clampdown on crowd violence at Friday night's Bulldogs game in Newcastle.

Extra police will patrol every home and away Bulldogs match in NSW this season, with officer numbers based on a weekly risk assessment.

The newly formed Public Order and Riot Squad, made up of 50 handpicked officers, will patrol this Friday's match and possibly others later in the season, police minister Carl Scully announced this afternoon.

The move is a response to crowd violence during a match between the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers on Friday night.

Minister Scully met this morning with NRL chief executive David Gallop, police commissioner Ken Moroney and representatives from the Bulldogs club.

"Whatever's necessary for people to feel safe is more important - we have great sympathy for the 99.9 per cent of fans that do the right thing," NRL chief executive David Gallop told smh.com.au after the meeting.

"We welcome the increased role of police. We are not experts in law and order, although we accept the NRL needs to play a role," he said.

Four football fans charged with affray at the match on Friday night face bans of up to five years if convicted.

Policing of Friday night's game would include patrols inside and outside Newcastle's Energy Australia stadium, a spokesman for Mr Scully said.

"The police have done a risk assessment for this week's game and they will do one for every Bulldogs game in NSW," he said.

"The police numbers will be based on this assessment - obviously some games, like Friday night games in Sydney, could present more of a problem than others."

Fans posting on Bulldogs fansite thekennel.com.au were divided over bringing in riot police.

One fan said it was "nothing but a knee jerk response to bad publicity".

"Taking this kind of action will do nothing but enflame what was once a very minor problem.

"What is the best way to start a riot from absolutely nothing? Bring in the riot squad and wait for the mob [to] retaliate."

But others seemed pleased police were targeting the "low-life" element among the club's supporters.

"I think its a little bit of over-kill, but then again if that is what it takes to stop the low-life element that ruin the Dogs name for everyone then so be it."

Another fan thought undercover police were a better answer.

"The smartest and most effective move the police can do is put undercover cops mixed in with the crowd to infiltrate the bad seed crowd."

Highway patrol and transport police would also monitor road and rail routes into Newcastle, the spokesman for Mr Scully said.

Police from Sydney would be sent to Newcastle to support local officers, he said.

During the meeting, Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad blamed violence involving club supporters on a "small bunch of idiots", the spokesman said.

He said crowd segregation was not proposed at this stage, as police hoped further crowd violence would be defused by increased patrols.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
oh god....i dont like the way they put this one in the article:

"What is the best way to start a riot from absolutely nothing? Bring in the riot squad and wait for the mob [to] retaliate."

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
the undercover cop idea isnt a bad idea, who thought of that, i missed it ?

Mo_Idriss

MeaN MachinE
Reaction score
go Kennel.... we got the media reading what were posting...

Read this media.... you are all a bunch of idiots that start the whole thing mwa

ohh n stuff the roosters

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
oh god....i dont like the way they put this one in the article:

That was dvsbastard. Blame him :D

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WRX_Bulldogs said:
I think that shows that even on here we're still representing the Bulldog fans

A

Abz

WRX_Bulldogs said:

Read this media.... you are all a bunch of idiots that start the whole thing mwa

ohh n stuff the roosters
ROFLMAO

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Game_Breaker said:
I think that shows that even on here we're still representing the Bulldog fans
Well majority if not all of us that post here are the true bulldogs fans so they can quote us all they like.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
btw this is all the more reason for everyone to ensure while they express their opinion that they do it in a way that can't be taken out of context to shed more bad light on the club.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
I hope they also read my unsaid truth thread.
You should email it to the guy that wrote that article if he hasnt already read it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
BAZA said:
You should email it to the guy that wrote that article if he hasnt already read it.
Do you know how I get hold of his email adresses?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
wow these people are paid professinal's and they're taking idea's from us

well I guess its good that they take our feedback into consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.