Kayo Sports/Telstra TV

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
I have a technical questions for the gifted technicians!!!

I've got the Kayo Sports App (and subscription) on my phone (I'm a Telstra customer)

With my home internet I am contracted to Optus. I have a Android Box (Minix). For the life of me, I cannot find the Kayo Sports app on play store for my Android box. I can log onto Kayo through Samsung Internet on my Android box, but the streaming is disgusting!

Do i need to get the Telstra box as I am aware that it has Kayo preinstalled? Will it work even though I am with Optus internet?

All information will be greatly appreciated

p.s I am with Optus Broadband because of the EPL and UCL

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a technical questions for the gifted technicians!!!

I've got the Kayo Sports App (and subscription) on my phone (I'm a Telstra customer)

With my home internet I am contracted to Optus. I have a Android Box (Minix). For the life of me, I cannot find the Kayo Sports app on play store for my Android box. I can log onto Kayo through Samsung Internet on my Android box, but the streaming is disgusting!

Do i need to get the Telstra box as I am aware that it has Kayo preinstalled? Will it work even though I am with Optus internet?

All information will be greatly appreciated

p.s I am with Optus Broadband because of the EPL and UCL
I'm with Telstra, and have it on my Telstra Box. I have the app on my Telstra phone, but it only works when it connects with my home modem. Away from home and I cannot get the Kayo app to work.

Couldn't watch any games while I was in the Outback, even though I had reception. Come home and it works perfectly inside the house.

I suspect that they require two separate contracts - one for mobiles, and one for home modems. This is how they make their money.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Android boxes generally have a cut down version of Android with access to less apps, and Kayo is fairly limited in what it can be installed on.

If your TV doesn't support it then you're best off with a Tesltra box, or an apple TV (4th Gen or later)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with getting Telstra or Apple TV for an app based solution, or you can run Kayo in the browser on Minix, just make sure you’re either on Ethernet or 5GHz Wi-Fi, not 2.4GHz which can struggle with HD, depending on the distance between your TV and Modem/Router but I’ve found 5GHz generally better.

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
Agree with getting Telstra or Apple TV for an app based solution, or you can run Kayo in the browser on Minix, just make sure you’re either on Ethernet or 5GHz Wi-Fi, not 2.4GHz which can struggle with HD, depending on the distance between your TV and Modem/Router but I’ve found 5GHz generally better.
I can run Kayo in the browser on my Minix box, but it continuously lags, freezes and cuts out and I am connected via Ethernet which is all behind the TV.

Maybe the processor of the Minix is outdated/too slow? The box is roughly 6 years old

I'm just not sure if I purchase the Telstra box, if it will work as I am with Optus Broadband, but i do have the Kayo subscription on my phone as I am a mobile Telstra customer?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can run Kayo in the browser on my Minix box, but it continuously lags, freezes and cuts out and I am connected via Ethernet which is all behind the TV.

Maybe the processor of the Minix is outdated/too slow? The box is roughly 6 years old

I'm just not sure if I purchase the Telstra box, if it will work as I am with Optus Broadband, but i do have the Kayo subscription on my phone as I am a mobile Telstra customer?
Minix should be able to handle it, even if it’s no longer the optimal device.

- What internet are you running - Optus NBN?
- Are Kayo settings on auto or are you forcing HD? Have you tried SD and did the stream improve?
- I’d be more inclined to Apple TV as a third party box (Disclaimer: I’m an Apple whore) but with this you have two options - native Kayo or Airplay from phone.
- If not Airplay or a third party box can you try a cable (Lightning/iPhone, USB/Android to HDMI and connect your phone directly to the TV?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you can't download kayo onto your current box or smart TV, just buy a chrome cast (I think they're about $40?) And get your phone to talk to it. I have a telstra box attached to one of my TV's that works fine with kayo, but my other TV, a cheaper smart TV wouldn't download the app, so I use the chrome cast with it.

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
Minix should be able to handle it, even if it’s no longer the optimal device.

- What internet are you running - Optus NBN?
- Are Kayo settings on auto or are you forcing HD? Have you tried SD and did the stream improve?
- I’d be more inclined to Apple TV as a third party box (Disclaimer: I’m an Apple whore) but with this you have two options - native Kayo or Airplay from phone.
- If not Airplay or a third party box can you try a cable (Lightning/iPhone, USB/Android to HDMI and connect your phone directly to the TV?
- Optus NBN
- Kayo settings are on auto
- I got no apple products. Im a samsung/android whore. (Had an iphone years ago and got sick of it slowing down everytime i would download an update

How can i connect my phone to my TV? (My TV is not a Smart TV!)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
- Optus NBN
- Kayo settings are on auto
- I got no apple products. Im a samsung/android whore. (Had an iphone years ago and got sick of it slowing down everytime i would download an update

How can i connect my phone to my TV? (My TV is not a Smart TV!)
It doesn’t need to be ‘smart’ as long as it has HDMI ports and one of those supports HDCP 1.4 or above. This will likely depend on the age of your TV, but if it does support it, the TV will mirror your mobile device and show Kayo that’s playing on your phone.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope they get a Sydney racing channel soon. Watching via a betting app on my phone or being forced to listen to Bruce McAveney on 7 is a killer

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hahaha I remember both. So funny!

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Chromecast with Google tv would also be an option. Good value at $99 and does have the kayo app available by download. Also has a remote so you don't need to use your phone.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Is that 5 bucks a month deal for Telstra customers still on?

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My KAYO
Just stopped working asks me to sign in then says they are having issues