Opinion Karl Oloapu

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe. It's pretty funny though that while everyone else was scoffing at the 500k price tag Gus saw a prized cookie and big dogged every other club before they could think twice about.

The spirit of Bullfrog lives on through Gus :hearteyes:
And we didn’t pay him 500k to join us, he wanted to join us. We paid 500k to broncos to release him.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting development.
I think this shows two things.

1. like I and a few others predicted, it is likely Burton will move back to his strong position, centre, to accomodate him as he is a 5/8. Not surprising to me but will be to some.
This sort of thinking just shows you are not paying attention. Burton is a 5/8, he excelled at centre due to two factors..a) he is an extremely talented player and b) he was surrounded by an equally talented team.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s my theory:

We now have a very good organizer in Mahoney. The game has gone stale with everyone trying to do better with the same basic model. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t have two running halves with good football brains either side of Mahoney controlling the structure. Run two young halves with a team full of strike power and they will build an empire. Both halves possess a strong short kicking game and passing/running. Burton has long kicks covered like a traditional halfback. Mahoney is also known for a few sneaky 40/20’s out of dummy half.

End result is a scarily fast paced team that can attack anywhere on the field. No reason this kid can’t make it into first grade later this year if we get good momentum. Gus obviously knows what he’s looking at!
Need more mobile forwards to achieve that and the team needs to be a lot fitter than they currently are, but if that’s the end result then I like it!

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sort of thinking just shows you are not paying attention. Burton is a 5/8, he excelled at centre due to two factors..a) he is an extremely talented player and b) he was surrounded by an equally talented team.
Yes he does it for NSW and Oz too.
He hasn’t really found his feet in the halves.

Burton in the halves is like Russia.

Doesn’t offer much except big bombs.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds is now done, if he wasn’t already.
Not really mate the. Club needs halfbacks putting pressure on, these guys see a lot of ball and modern collisions make it risky we might need a few.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton is not a 7 at all in the way he plays. He is in the same ilk as Daley & Fittler. He is a runner not an organiser. A 6 that is more a centre than a 7.

That being said if CC can find a system that works with Mahoney as the central organiser. There is no problem with playing with two running 6’s. Without playing a traditional 7.

As long as the second running 6 is a right side dominant player. Because I cannot see Burton moving away from the left hand side.
Yeah bro, that’s essentially what I meant in that comment. The Halves numbers on their back don’t mean much anymore unless your 7 is only there to run the team (ie Chad Townsend, Adam Reynolds, etc.)
All I meant was if Burton was handed the task of improving his team directing and game management skills I could see him eating it up, without negatively impacting his current strengths.

Apart from Townsend at the Cowboys.

I'm not really obsessed with who is organising / who is not. It comes down to what is the best talent available at that moment and then adapt it and make it your strength.

If this Oloapu is a gun you're not going to say well sorry you can't play in the halves because Burton is not an organiser and neither are you. A fair dinkum coach can adapt to that situation.
100% man. Origin is a great example of this. So many players are out of position in origin because the elite level players are better than someone in their club position that isn’t as good (ie latrell and turbo playing centre).

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
But but Ben Ikin fixed the Donkeys lol
From all reports he's a smart operator but he's a smug little prick and his hot takes often come across as condescending.

It's criminal that the club got a wooden spoon given there infinite resources.
Seems like a club divided, players often at loggerheads with staff/management

Can't remember how many times over the recent years a player has had a dummy spit in the media and then comes out grovelling that they were taken out of context.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From all reports he's a smart operator but he's a smug little prick and his hot takes often come across as condescending.

It's criminal that the club got a wooden spoon given there infinite resources.
Seems like a club divided, players often at loggerheads with staff/management

Can't remember how many times over the recent years a player has had a dummy spit in the media and then comes out grovelling that they were taken out of context.
Now I am waiting for Tallis to come out and slam someone again.

It's a beautiful city Brisbane, they got the whole place to themselves and managed to screw it up with infighting and egos.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now I am waiting for Tallis to come out and slam someone again.

It's a beautiful city Brisbane, they got the whole place to themselves and managed to screw it up with infighting and egos.
I wasn't a big fan of the way they treated Seibold. People can say what they like about the bloke, but the "old boys" sabotaged him before he even arrived. Once a powerhouse club but now are creating quite the reputation for themselves.