Opinion Karl Oloapu

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Time getting used to tackling adults in NSW Cup will help him. Im glad we dont have to rush juniors any more, let them develop properly.
It's great to finally have some depth and not seeing green juniors come in too early.
Given Oloapu is already big enough to play lock, and the fee was allegedly $500k (over 4 years is $125k pa), he might be an exception, one of those few players who are able to come in young, as a half or as a centre.
Sua'ali'i for example is still not even 20 until August. In fact he may even play SOO while still 19.
The reason there is interest in what Oloapu can do as a 7 is obvious.
It is just a matter of seeing how he goes for the first 10 rounds or so. He may not even play 7. Hopefully he does learn how to tackle 1st grade 120kg runners who will target him for sure. Hope he is a star. Problem solved.
Well until he moves to the forwards and BBO steps up.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont get the obsession to move him to lock. He is a silky smooth passer who has a nice running game and has played his whole career at half. Now that all comes down to how good his kicking game is and fair enough if he cant play-make through his kicking then shift him to the forwards or centre but the "he is big so he should be a lock" thing as some have suggested is just silly.

And even based off his highlights, if you were going to suggest a position change it would be as a fullback based on his skillset.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont get the obsession to move him to lock. He is a silky smooth passer who has a nice running game and has played his whole career at half. Now that all comes down to how good his kicking game is and fair enough if he cant play-make through his kicking then shift him to the forwards or centre but the "he is big so he should be a lock" thing as some have suggested is just silly.

And even based off his highlights, if you were going to suggest a position change it would be as a fullback based on his skillset.
[emoji817]

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

I believe a thinking, scheming, passing, creating, stepping lock is a sign of the times, many teams have one. If they can handle the defensive work a lock has to do then it's a win win.

Always a Bulldog

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe a thinking, scheming, passing, creating, stepping lock is a sign of the times, many teams have one. If they can handle the defensive work a lock has to do then it's a win win.

Always a Bulldog
Sounds a bit like Preston and he was previously a half!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Is Oloapu playing in any games this weekend ?? . . . It would be good to see him play
Let him enjoy his childhood, fam. Once they're gone, you never get those years back...

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
It is handy to have one but if Oloapu is truly as talented as they say he is then the last thing you want to do is make him tackle 40+ times a game. Plus it would be the fastest way to lose him. No one who is good enough to be a starting half in the NRL would accept a forward role. They make less and play at a higher risk.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It is handy to have one but if Oloapu is truly as talented as they say he is then the last thing you want to do is make him tackle 40+ times a game. Plus it would be the fastest way to lose him. No one who is good enough to be a starting half in the NRL would accept a forward role. They make less and play at a higher risk.
First off who knows if he is good enough to be “a starting half in the NRL”, far too early to say. Playing lock (or any other position) at NRL level is better that playing half (or any other position) in NSW Cup. Let’s see how he progresses, physically and mentally, then the position choice becomes more obvious.

Always a Bulldog

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First off who knows if he is good enough to be “a starting half in the NRL”, far too early to say. Playing lock (or any other position) at NRL level is better that playing half (or any other position) in NSW Cup. Let’s see how he progresses, physically and mentally, then the position choice becomes more obvious.

Always a Bulldog
He had his first run in an opposed sess yesterday for the reserves and if thats anything to go by then he isn't even close to ready.

Kid showed every bit of an 18 yr old who has just moved to another club in the big leagues. PLENTY to work on.

Doglover28

Waterboy
Reaction score
He had his first run in an opposed sess yesterday for the reserves and if thats anything to go by then he isn't even close to ready.

Kid showed every bit of an 18 yr old who has just moved to another club in the big leagues. PLENTY to work on.
Hey mate,
How was yesterday's opposed session?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey mate,
How was yesterday's opposed session?
1st grade really showing their dominance over reserves. Was pretty even at beginning of pre season.

Shape is good, backline shifts are smooth, strike across the park. EVERYBODY will be happy tomorrow.

Todays sess was brutal in the heat, no whining, no winging, no excuses. Everybody enjoying themselves.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1st grade really showing their dominance over reserves. Was pretty even at beginning of pre season.

Shape is good, backline shifts are smooth, strike across the park. EVERYBODY will be happy tomorrow.

Todays sess was brutal in the heat, no whining, no winging, no excuses. Everybody enjoying themselves.
Even me?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
YUP! sidenote, Avo looked good today.. He has really bulked up and his D is getting stronger. Really hope this local junior goes well..

His ball, kicking skills and speed are invaluable as a centre, just need his confidence to follow.
I still think he should be the fullback he has that x-factor.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
YUP! sidenote, Avo looked good today.. He has really bulked up and his D is getting stronger. Really hope this local junior goes well..

His ball, kicking skills and speed are invaluable as a centre, just need his confidence to follow.
What role is Preston playing mate. Do you think he will be part of the round 1 team from what you saw. Considering Kikau is back?

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ball playing locks have become a pretty important position in modern footy.

Many believe they are at least as valuable if not more so than a 5/8.

You must of missed the fact that he played 13 for Queensland, Australian Schoolboys, and the Broncs wanted to play him there.

Not sure what part of his thumping front on defense says fullback .... doubt he has the pace for the position either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see how they go tomorrow considering they're training in the heat today. I think I saw Gus say there wasn't a captain's run so I assume the session today was about pushing them as hard as possible (without overworking) and seeing how they bounce back tomorrow.

Jake's got a big test against Talakai tomorrow, Talakai one on one is going to bump off pretty much every centre so we will see how he handles that. If he does okay then he probably carries that confidence in to start the season. I assume Kiraz will be up his arse all game anyway lol.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how they go tomorrow considering they're training in the heat today. I think I saw Gus say there wasn't a captain's run so I assume the session today was about pushing them as hard as possible (without overworking) and seeing how they bounce back tomorrow.

Jake's got a big test against Talakai tomorrow, Talakai one on one is going to bump off pretty much every centre so we will see how he handles that. If he does okay then he probably carries that confidence in to start the season. I assume Kiraz will be up his arse all game anyway lol.
He can fit kiraz and you?