Josh Reynolds - 2012 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was in the 2011 pre season trials that Josh Reynolds was a standout at half back. Bearing this in mind, if Hasler is a big Keating fan I wpoldn't be surprised to see Reynolds at half and Keating at five eighth. Although, I suppose a big indicator of who plays where in the halves would depend on who is better at driving the forwards around and how good their kicking games are.
and drop hodkinson?your on drugs

hasler picked hodkinson in front of DCE who has always had massive wraps on him

if anything i wouldnt mind seeing reynolds at 5/8 with a bit of room to run look what he did when he was running from dummy half last year with a bit of room he tore teams apart with his footwork and speed

if he can develop a bit better of a passing game and a better short kicking game he would be my 1st pick at 5/8

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
and drop hodkinson?your on drugshasler picked hodkinson in front of DCE who has always had massive wraps on himif anything i wouldnt mind seeing reynolds at 5/8 with a bit of room to run look what he did when he was running from dummy half last year with a bit of room he tore teams apart with his footwork and speedif he can develop a bit better of a passing game and a better short kicking game he would be my 1st pick at 5/8
Reynolds also has some discipline issues on top of what you said. All of it though can be down to being a rookie and who is coaching him. He had enough positive in his game to even be considered for the role.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

if anything i wouldnt mind seeing reynolds at 5/8 with a bit of room to run look what he did when he was running from dummy half last year with a bit of room he tore teams apart with his footwork and speed

if he can develop a bit better of a passing game and a better short kicking game he would be my 1st pick at 5/8
Nah, not on drugs... not even brahmsed. What I posted was a "maybe", to put it in a more logical fashion:

1. I THINK Reynolds WAS the standout half back in 2011 trials.
2. IF Hasler IS a Keating fan I wouldn't be surprised to see KK at five eighth with Reynolds starting at half. That would enable him to use his explosive "defence buster" skills from the scrum base but ONLY if the opportunity was there.

But there's no way I'd want to see Hodko dumped just to fit Reynolds in, I like him in no.7. Basically what I think will happen all over in team selection is what I posted in the "Des doesn't like Barba" thread which is:

"Going on Hasler's record at Manly I'd say he's too astute and hard nosed to go for any player or player combination that couldn't do the job. Whether its Ben Barba at the back or Greg Eastwood up front they'll either be there because there's no one better or not there because there's some one who is" :o)

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I THINK IF there IS even a 1% chance that you thought Keating WAS going to be picked ahead of Hodkinson "maybe" you should put the crack pipe down.

"Just saying" :grinning:)

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I THINK IF there IS even a 1% chance that you thought Keating WAS going to be picked ahead of Hodkinson "maybe" you should put the crack pipe down.

"Just saying" :grinning:)
Oh... why don't you try again? KK is a Dessie favourite so he's five eighth (as per previous posts -not mine). Then its Josh to half and HE replaces Trent. See...? Now gimme back my pipe! :o)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A bit in the mold of Craig Gower. Dynamic out of dummy half and a true competitor. Real competitor and always fighting above his weight. I think Reynolds and Hodkinson in the halves will be a good combo. Reynolds is great at running at the line and Hodkinson more kicking.

C

chipandchase

I'm not saying that either is better than the other here
But manly and Hasler did not resign hodkinson because they new they had a better halfback coming through
I hope both kk and hodkinson kill it or our season is over its that simple

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm not saying that either is better than the other hereBut manly and Hasler did not resign hodkinson because they new they had a better halfback coming throughI hope both kk and hodkinson kill it or our season is over its that simple
I dont think so with the season being over if they dont work, because thats assuming Des wouldnt try other people in the role all year while it was failing. Des doesnt strike me as a coach who will let a player be below par too long without doing something about it. He wont keep players in who are out of form for too long because they are favourites of his, unlike previous coaches.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
****ing love him, have been praying for him to play at 6 since his second game last season, he has the natural ability to become a fantastic 5/8th and Des will iron out all of his weaknesses while improving his strengths, ffs look how much improvement we saw just between last week and last night. For all you dropkicks who keep saying he hasn't got what it takes, three of the best halves to have ever graced a footy field gave him a massive wrap on the Sunday Footy show today. Clearly your opinions eclipse those of Johns, Fittler and Sterling.

If we get Foran great, he's a proven talent and will be a future star, worth the $$$ and would obviously be an asset for the club.

But if we don't, for whatever reason, including not having to pay massive overs for him just to get him here, and instead stick with Reynolds and mould him into our own aggressive, dynamic and dangerous 6 on a third of the money, coupled with the fact that he's a junior and loves the club, how is that anything other than an incredible outcome? Both Foran and DCE came out of Hasler's stable, yes they clearly both posses natural talents and would probably succeed of their own accord under any coach given enough time to develop and gain experience, but the fact that they both walked into 1st grade and are capable of steering a team around like 10 year veterans is no fluke. That's 100% down to coaching. Throw Hodkinson into that club (he was widely considered as the best young 7 in the game when we signed him) and what's the common denominator? Des Hasler.

If only he was around to mould young Josh and make him reach his full potential, how lucky would we be.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hickstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
stop dissing Reynolds
who would u want out there keating who doesnt pass or reynolds who give us soo much more than keating

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definitley has it all over Keating, some more game time......im liking this kid at no 6 more and more on each game he plays, at first i thought utility off the bench but really starting to impress and will def shine with a bit more experience, great move by Hasler...

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
he'll win us games and lose us games - needs to lose some of the mistakes which I'm sure he will once he gets into the grind of first grade

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Very impressed at his work rate and effort in the last couple of games - like many players this year he really looks like he WANTS to play for the Bulldogs and puts in that extra 1% every time.

His skills will only improve and if he keeps this attitude up he could be very valuable to us in the coming years.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's got plenty of errors in his game but I think it's really just enthusiasm causing it.
If he concentrates on maintaining his composure he should turn out to be a good 5/8th. Not the best, but perhaps good enough.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could go back 2 years ago (before we signed hodko) where me and a few others were calling for Josh to get a chance in 1st grade......but I wont :tongue1:

Im just happy that he's finally got his shot.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a while away obviously but he has state of origin written all over him.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could go back 2 years ago (before we signed hodko) where me and a few others were calling for Josh to get a chance in 1st grade......but I wont :tongue1:

Im just happy that he's finally got his shot.
I could say that I was one of those calling for his chance.. But like you I wouldn't do that :grinning:-

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
every time i say a player is my fav player they leave so i will say nothing at the moment
but he is a gun

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The following was tweeted by Cameron bell who is a journo..

@CameronBell: Josh Reynolds is tough and skillful with a huge will to win. Do you think he reminds Des of another young No.6??? #NRLcbysgi #NRL

He is comparing Reynolds to Foran (when first starting out)

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anything Reynolds is even more aggressive and gets involved more. If Des can bring consistency and discipline to his game while refining his skills we could have our own superstar 6. And if anyone can do it, it's Des.

He trusted him with steering the team around against merge while Hodkinson finds his feet again, that was a pretty big game for us so obviously he has faith in the kid, and I think he's the kind of player that will flourish under responsibility. Who knows how good he can be, sky's the limit. He's a strong aggressive guy, fierce competitor, looks to get involved at every opportunity, has a good running game and a natural flair in attack that you can't teach. Pretty solid foundation if you ask me. Kicking, passing and discipline can all be coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.